Stenting of the heart: how I live after the surgery?
Heart stenting is a minimally invasive surgery aimed at restoring the patency of the coronary arteries and preventing progression of coronary heart disease (CHD). An important condition for good health in people who have undergone stenting, are rehabilitation measures and changes in lifestyle.
Cardiac rehabilitation is a transitional stage between the postoperative hospital treatment and return the patient back to everyday life. To pass this stage, it can be in a special hospital or as an outpatient under the supervision of a cardiologist.
Objectives postoperative rehabilitation
For the complete recovery of human body after stenting vessels only inpatient treatment is not enough. A patient needs not only medication therapy, but also Wellness procedures, learning new healthy habits and lifestyle change in General. These recreational and educational functions assigned to the cardiac rehabilitation. Its major tasks include:
- The restoration of the functional abilities of the heart in a renewed blood supply.
- Preventing the development of postoperative complications (narrowing of the operated vessel, of the development of rejection reactions of the stent, which is for human body, foreign substance, etc.).
- Improved prognosis by stopping the progression of CHD and atherosclerosis.
- Increase the physical capabilities of the patient. After the surgery the patient may feel very well (when compared with the condition when the pain in his heart, he cannot perform any work). But this does not mean that the body is ready for exercise. Necessary for a smooth transition from small to large.
- Correction of behavior and habits of the patient.
- Normalization of the psychological state of the person. Many patients hard to overcome the constant feeling of waiting for heart pain, and they make themselves disabled. Such patients require assistance therapist.
- The normalisation of clinico-laboratory parameters (blood pressure, indicators of fat metabolism, etc.).
The main elements of the rehabilitation process
Cardiac rehabilitation is a comprehensive program that includes:
Hypertension in the past now?
Cardiologists risk to remain without work — hypertension now curable!
- Medical therapy.
- Physical therapy sessions.
- Regular screening (interview, physical examination, ECG, laboratory tests and other instrumental investigations). Successful surgery stenting does not mean that you can forget about the visits to the cardiologist, especially if rehabilitation is carried out not in a sanatorium.
- Educational work.
After surgery, patients are administered medication, preventing the blockage of the coronary blood vessels, statins to normalize lipid metabolism, as well as special cardiac medications to protect the heart from overload. In addition, develop a set of exercises physical therapy designed to exercise the heart and normalization of body weight. And drug therapy, and physical therapy selected for each patient individually.
No less important than medication and physical therapy, is diet. For patients undergoing stenting, it is necessary food, vitamins, healthy fatty acids and fiber. But the use of unhealthy fats, easy carbs, caffeine and salt should be strictly controlled, because these substances have a negative effect on the state of the coronary vessels and blood pressure.
In the diet of patients after stenting must be present vegetables, fruits, cereals, marine fish, lean meat and vegetable oil. To drink coffee, but not strong, in small quantities and only natural. The amount of salt consumed, it is desirable to reduce to 3 g per day, and should be taken into account and the salt that is in the ready-made products (e.g., bread, hard cheese, etc.). Another important link cardiorehabilitation is the absolute rejection of bad habits.
Life after stenting
If the operation went well, after the treatment, the person can return to his normal life. The only limitation may be the labor activities associated with physical activity. This work will have to wait. Ask your doctor about the possibility of resuming an intimate relationship. In most cases they are not contraindicated.
With regard to the interest of many patients question if the disability after stenting of the heart, the answer is – not entitled. This operation is intended to restore the health and ability of the individual, and not Vice versa, so normally on disability. Another important question – how many people live undergoing stenting of the heart. The answer cannot be, as the prognosis and life expectancy depends on many factors:
I forgot about hypertension forever!
Oleg Tabakov has shared his secret to a successful struggle with high pressure.
- A way of life. If he has changed for the better, angina may return with renewed strength, can be repeated myocardial infarction.
- The severity of atherosclerotic changes of blood vessels. Atherosclerotic plaque is the main enemy of the coronary arteries, so the fewer, the state of the heart better. To remove the existing plaque is impossible, but to stop the formation of new ones by using special medications, diet and Smoking cessation.
- The individual characteristics of the organism.
- The presence of comorbidities (obesity, diabetes, etc.).
In General, if you follow the doctor’s recommendations, which are not complicated, and to take care of the health, after timely performed stenting of the heart, you can live a long and fulfilling in all aspects.