That shows an MRI of the brain? Photo
The study of the body using magnetic resonance therapy today to determine the disease in the earliest stages of the occurrence. Now, there are many diagnostic centers where MRI is not difficult. The method there is evidence, especially in conducting and contraindications. Therefore, before conducting the study need to consult a doctor, because diagnosis is more necessary to him than to the patient.
MRI of the brain. What is it?
Magnetic resonance imaging – diagnostic imaging of the head and brain using strong magnetic fields. An image of tissue is transferred to the computer monitor, then you can print the image on the film. The method allows to examine even deeply located structures and to distinguish healthy tissue from inflamed, changed, or tumor. Exposure to ionizing radiation in this type of survey does not occur. The method is noninvasive, i.e., not penetrating into the human body. Sometimes you need an MRI with contrast, which is injected into a vein a solution with contrast medium.
Possible types of scanners
The classic MRI scanner is a tunnel that is surrounded by a huge magnet. The patient is placed on a special table that moves the patient into the tunnel. It is a closed MRI scanner. There are types with magnets, others only investigated part of the body (head, pelvis, abdomen). This system with a short tunnel. There are open MRI scanners in which the magnet is placed over the patient, while the sides are free. This type is often used in Pediatrics and for patients with claustrophobia.
That shows an MRI of the brain?
- space-occupying lesions in the brain (tumors, abscesses, cysts, hematomas and cavity, for example when hydatid disease);
- the accumulation of excess fluid in the head (hydrocephalus);
- displacement of brain structures, for example, after trauma;
- violation of the structure of cerebral vessels (aneurysms);
- ischemic damage of brain tissue (strokes);
- disease of the pituitary gland;
- congenital anomalies of the brain.
The advantages of the method:
Hypertension is no longer a disease?
Doctors are shocked by the statement, the chief cardiac surgeon in the country Leo Beaucaire.
Indications for MRI
- diseases of the brain and cervical spine (MRI of brain and neck);
- disease or structural changes of blood vessels of the brain (MRI of the arteries and veins of the brain);
- disease with lesions of the myelin sheath of nerves (myelogram);
- frequent headache;
- headache, accompanied by vomiting, loss of consciousness and decreased vision.
Diagnostics allows you to determine whether the normal anatomy (structure), physiology and biochemistry (metabolic processes) in the brain.
What distinguishes MRI from head CT (computed tomography)?
The procedure is contraindicated in the following cases:
- In the presence of metal devices in the body of the patient (pacemakers, vascular clips, insulin pumps, hearing AIDS, stabilizers of spine).
- During pregnancy. However, there was no reported case that MRI has brought harm to the fetus or the mother, therefore, if absolutely necessary, a pregnant woman can be done under the strict supervision of medical personnel.
- If the patient has claustrophobia (fear of closed spaces).
Children the study is conducted according to strict health reasons. The difficulty lies in the fact that a young child is difficult to lie still for some time, and this is a prerequisite for diagnosis. If an MRI is necessary to hold the baby, then the baby is introduced to the anesthesia or give sedatives to the time he lay quiet. There is no clear data on how harmful or not the MRI for the child’s body.
The existence of any devices in the body prevents the MRI?
- postoperative sutures, staples or clamps;
- artificial joints;
- non-metallic heart valve;
- drug pump in a disabled state;
- shunts in hydrocephalus.
How is magnetic resonance imaging of the brain?
The procedure is absolutely painless, is performed without intervention into the body of the patient. Special preparations for MRI of brain is not required. Directly before the examination it is necessary to remove from the patient all metal objects (dentures, rings, pins, clips, watch, jewelry).
The presence of any metal can distort the picture image to cause harm to the patient, and also damage the unit itself. The presence of metal inside the patient may cause harm to the fact that under the influence of a magnetic field, the implant will shift and damage the surrounding tissue.
The patient is positioned horizontally and placed in a special tunnel. Often patients ask the question about how much time it takes procedure. It depends on the type of study, but approximately 40 – 80 minutes. After the study the patient some time delay. The doctor will determine whether it is necessary to repeat the or to spend an extended study with contrast. Description and interpretation of images a doctor takes some time. The patient may request electronic media with the results of the study or printed images on film.
What will happen to patient before the study?
In some cases after MRI headache?
Sometimes after the procedure a patient may feel malaise such as headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, and sometimes vomiting and disruption in space. This may be due to increased sensitivity of the patient, in violation of the rules of conduct or presence in the body or in clothing of metal devices. In any case, the appearance of new complaints or increased old complaints after investigation you need to consult a doctor.
How often can I do an MRI?
Given that this research method does not provide ionizing radiation on the body, and the harm it inflicts a minimum. Initial examination is performed for diagnosis and determining treatment tactics. Further diagnostics will need to monitor the treatment, differential diagnosis or monitoring the course of the disease. Therefore, the diagnosis can come as often as you need it for the doctor.
Doctors believed that I had cured the hypertension!
«Hypertension is not a death sentence. Just need to take care of myself» — the blog of actor Oleg Tabakov.