The brain cyst: symptoms and treatment, effects, photo
Volume education, which is located in the brain, called a cyst. This article explains what cysts are, why they occur, also identifies the main manifestation of this disease and its treatment.
General characteristics and etiology
A brain cyst is a cavity which is filled with liquid. It can be localized in any division and to occur in both adults and children of all ages. This pathology is considered to be benign. Often, the presence of cysts in the head are diagnosed by chance because overt clinical manifestations are absent. How these formations are dangerous, depends on many factors (e.g., their sizes, type, period of formation and degree of progression). The main causes cysts in the brain the following:
- improper fetal development;
- traumatic brain injury;
- parasitic infection;
- inflammation in the form of meningitis and encephalitis;
- degenerative changes or degeneration in the brain, leading to the replacement of brain cells cystic tissue;
- poor circulation or bleeding in the head, accompanied by the development of ischemia or necrosis areas;
- in newborns cause of formation of cysts in the head can be postnatal trauma or infection during the fetal development from the mother (especially herpes viruses).
Classification of cysts
The origin of these formations are divided into types:
- • purchased cyst – occurs after the actions of a specific precipitating factor (infection, trauma, inflammation, etc.);
- • congenital cyst is mainly formed during development in the womb due to pathologies of the CNS or due to the destruction of nerve cells through intrapartum asphyxia.
On localization distinguish 2 main types of cysts of the head:
Hypertension is no longer a disease?
Doctors are shocked by the statement, the chief cardiac surgeon in the country Leo Beaucaire.
- Archaically – located on the surface of the brain between its shells. Most often this type of formations found among children and men. If a cavity is formed between the arachnoid and the soft shell is a subarachnoid cyst. It usually is congenital and an incidental finding.
- Cerebral cavity in the thicker brain tissue. It is formed at the site of dead nerve cells gray matter and filled with liquid.
Depending on the location of the latter type of cysts are the following types of entities:
- A cyst of the pineal gland (pineal gland, or so-called perialnie glands) usually is asymptomatic. Formed due to violations of the outflow of secretions. In addition, cysts of the pineal gland can be formed as a result of echinococcosis. It tends to a constant growth, which leads to damage of the surrounding tissues. In this pineal cyst manifested severe clinic and require treatment.
- Panencephalitis cyst located in the brain tissue and develops as a result of infections. It frequently leads to serious consequences (e.g., causing hydrocephalus).
- The choroid plexus cyst is a benign form. It is formed in the fetus at a certain stage of development in the womb. Often such education is self absorbed and does not require treatment, but sometimes cause of its development can be fetal infection, therefore, to prevent complications in the baby after birth conduct neurosonography.
- Lacunar education, formed on the background of atherosclerosis or as a result of age-related changes. These include cyst of the cerebellum, the basal ganglia or the optic tubercles.
In addition, you may be diagnosed cyst the main sinus, dermoid or colloid formation in the brain.
The main manifestations
For small cysts clear clinic is missing. When you increase their size following symptoms:
- headaches that cannot be addressed through painkillers;
- impaired hearing or vision;
- change coordination;
- mental pathology;
- partial paralysis of hands and feet;
- change the sensitivity of the skin;
- changes in muscle tone (Hyper or hypotonia).
Patients also note a surge and a feeling of compression in the head, tinnitus and vomiting. In infants the presence of cysts in the brain is observed profuse vomiting, delayed psychomotor development, periodic cramps. It should be noted that the symptomatology depends on the localization of the cyst. So, with its location in the neck can damage the optic nerve, which is manifested by decreased visual acuity or diplopia.
If the cyst is formed in the cerebellum, this is manifest various disorders of balance and coordination, changes in gait. When the cyst is located in the region of the pituitary gland, this leads to disturbances in the endocrine system and becomes the reason for the lag in physical development.
The effects of the cysts of the head
In the absence of treatment among the main complications is the disturbance of motor functions and coordination, problems with vision, hearing or development of encephalitis, and hydrocephalus due to excessive accumulation in the brain of cerebrospinal fluid. When you increase the size of the cysts show marked neurological symptoms, possible convulsions and hallucinations, inflammation of the meninges, paralysis, mental disorders. In case of cyst rupture possible lethal end.
Treatment of cyst of brain
Therapy is assigned after a thorough examination. Usually performed MRI, Doppler study, determine the level of cholesterol, checking blood pressure, rule out or confirm the presence of autoimmune, parasitic pathologies, and infectious diseases.
I forgot about hypertension forever!
Oleg Tabakov has shared his secret to a successful struggle with high pressure.
Traditional treatment involves medical therapy. Mainly prescribe medication that can dissolve adhesions (for example, Longidase) that improves blood circulation, normalizes HELL, provide oxygen to the brain (nootropic agents). To increase the resistance of cells to increased intracranial pressure prescribe antioxidants. In some cases, prescribe antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-modulating drugs, depending on the etiology of the development of the brush.
Treatment of folk remedies involves the use of herbs that reduce intracranial pressure (e.g., violets, elderberry and horsetail, asparagus and Potentilla anserina). For instillation of the nose in the presence of the cysts of the head is recommended to apply an oil infusion of Hemlock. If necessary, resort to surgical treatment. Most often conduct the following types of surgery:
- Bypass surgery is carried out using drainage. Using a tube formation empty, causing its walls collapse and coalesce. This method is characterized by a high risk of infectious complications, particularly if the shunt is located in the skull for a long time.
- Endoscopic method is mostly carried out without complications, however, can be used under all types of cysts.
- Craniotomy is a highly efficient operation, but is characterized by a high probability of damage to healthy brain tissue.