Transcranial dopplerography of the brain vessels
Transcranial Doppler (TCD) is a noninvasive and painless ultrasound procedure that uses high frequency sound waves to determine the speed and direction of blood flow in major cerebral vessels.
The principle of transcranial Doppler
When conducting TKD sound waves, inaudible to the human ear, pass through the tissues of the skull. These waves are reflected from moving inside the blood vessels, blood cells, allowing you to determine their speed. The reflected vibrations are received and processed by the device and then displayed on the monitor screen.
Who performed transcranial Doppler?
Doppler of neck vessels and brain allows to estimate the blood flow parameters and to Refine the diagnosis of various diseases. This examination is used for:
- The detection and observation of stenosis or occlusion of large intracranial arteries, including the monitoring of thrombolysis in ischemic stroke.
- Pathology of cerebral vessels.
- Detection and observation of vasospasm in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Evaluation of collateral blood flow in the brain, including after therapeutic interventions.
- Detection of emboli in the vessels of the brain.
- Confirmation of the clinical diagnosis of brain death.
- Evaluation of sickle cell anemia.
- Detection of arteriovenous malformations.
- Detection of intracranial aneurysms.
Children TKD is used for:
Hypertension is no longer a disease?
Doctors are shocked by the statement, the chief cardiac surgeon in the country Leo Beaucaire.
- Assessment of intracranial pressure and hydrocephalus.
- Evaluation of hypoxic encephalopathy.
- Assess the patency of the venous sinus.
How is the procedure of TKD?
Survey no need for any special training. Patients don’t need to change your diet before Doppler. TKD is a doctor who is specially trained in ultrasound of the Central nervous system.
During the procedure, the patient is conscious and lying on the bed. On the scalp applied a small amount of water-soluble gel that improves the conductivity of the ultrasound. To certain points on the head and neck, the doctor puts a sensor, which is connected to the apparatus for ultrasonic examination. This apparatus carries out the processing of data on the characteristics of the blood flow. Doctor sequentially changes the position of the sensor, which allows it to assess blood flow in various blood vessels of the head and neck.
TKD is a painless examination, which is easily tolerated by most patients. May experience minimal discomfort from the pressure with which the sensor puts the study area. If the gel has not been heated to the conduct of Doppler, it can cause a sensation of cold. During the examination the person can hear palaptine sounds, the tone of which changes as the measurement of blood flow.
The TKD procedure can take from 30 minutes to 1 hour, the gel is then removed from the skin. It leaves no residue on clothes. After completing the survey the person can immediately resume their normal activities.
Who interpretered the results of the survey?
The doctor who had special training, analyzes the results and describes them. His conclusion helps to establish the correct diagnosis to the doctor who referred the person for evaluation. Some patients may need periodic TKD that allows you to assess change and the effectiveness of treatment of specific diseases.
The benefits of transcranial Doppler
All ultrasonic methods have the following advantages:
I forgot about hypertension forever!
Oleg Tabakov has shared his secret to a successful struggle with high pressure.
- Non-invasive – they need not be injections.
- The availability of ultrasound techniques are relatively cheap compared to other methods of visualization.
- Transcranial Doppler is a very safe examination, which does not use ionizing radiation.