What foods raise blood cholesterol? Table
Cholesterol is an organic substance, which is part of the cell walls (membranes) of almost all living organisms. The human body produces about 80% of free cholesterol (i.e., not associated with other substances). The remaining 20% of cholesterol entering the body in the process of nutrition.
The role of cholesterol in the body
Cholesterol is required to perform a number of functions:
- as part of the cell plasma membrane increases its rigidity, thereby preventing destruction of the cells;
- protects from free radicals;
- regulates the permeability of the cell walls;
- protects red blood cells against poisons, which cause their destruction (hemolysis);
- involved in the synthesis of vitamin D;
- helps the adrenal glands in the production of corticosteroids and steroid sex hormones;
- cholesterol impossible synthesis of bile acids, as it is their basis;
- has a strong influence on the immune and nervous systems.
The types of cholesterol
In a free state, cholesterol cannot be transported by the blood to the tissues, so it is transported in the form of particular complex compounds – lipoproteins. Proteins that bind and deliver the cholesterol, are divided into several groups:
- high-density lipoproteins (HDL) which reduce the amount of cholesterol, bringing it to the liver for subsequent elimination from the body;
- low density lipoproteins (LDL);
- the very low density lipoproteins, together with LDL and chylomicrons deliver cholesterol to the tissues;
- the chylomicrons.
Because of the large number of LDL developing atherosclerotic disorders. These compounds are large molecules, difficult soluble in water. They contribute to the precipitation of cholesterol crystals, resulting in atherosclerotic plaque in blood vessels. They narrow the lumen and lead to the development of cardiovascular diseases, most often heart attack and ischemic stroke. That’s why LDL is called «bad cholesterol».
Hypertension no longer a death sentence?
The cardiologist said that there is finally a cure for hypertension …
Accordingly, HDL is considered «good cholesterol». It is small molecule, easily soluble in water. They do not release cholesterol crystals in the form of sediment that is not conducive to the formation of atherosclerotic plaques. Moreover, HDL removes cholesterol from the body, transporting it from peripheral tissues to the liver. The more HDL in the body, the better. If the level of LDL «good» cholesterol can no longer cope with its functions, and in the body start to occur in a variety of ways.
Which food has more total cholesterol
Abuse of fatty foods is one of the main reasons for the increase of cholesterol in the blood. The most cholesterol-rich foods:
- fatty meat varieties – duck, goose, pork, lamb, and strong meat broths;
- some by-products – skin (skin), kidney, liver and minced meat;
- gastronomy delicatessen and smoked meats – sausage, brisket, loin, ham;
- dairy products with high fat cream, sour cream, cheese, cottage cheese and condensed milk;
- seafood – squid, shrimp, caviar;
- eggs, coffee;
- sweet confectionery products – pastries, cakes, sweet pastries and biscuits;
- food from fast food- fries, burgers, chips;
- fatty and fried main dishes – pilaf, potatoes with meat, pasta;
- butter, margarine and any sauces that contain TRANS fats;
- sweet drinks and cocktails based cream, fatty milk, chocolate and ice cream.
This is not the whole table. A list of foods that raise cholesterol in the blood much longer.
What if cholesterol is still elevated?
With slightly elevated cholesterol to reduce its level enough to stick to the diet and to opt-out from foods with cholesterol. Here are a few recommendations on correct nutrition, in particular, what foods should dominate the diet:
- eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables;
- citrus good clean vessels, as part of their structure vitamin C helps to get rid of cholesterol, helping its excretion from the body;
- you must refrain from fried meat, it can only be boiled, simmer, bake (but not «Golden brown») or steamed;
- eliminate from the diet fatty rich broth and dishes based on them – soups, sauces, gravies, greatly improves the cholesterol;
- entrees not to fry and not sour cream;
- main dishes steamed or baked in the oven, only fill them with vegetable oil first pressing, or at least a small amount of butter;
- limit sugary confectionery and baking, allowed to eat bread with bran, biscuit, and diet bread;
- to unsubscribe from ketchup, mayonnaise and sauces, it is best to cook them alone;
- not to eat fast foods, to avoid foods cooked in fast food;
- most healthy drinks, deducing cholesterol – squeezed juices, green tea, mineral water;
- drinking coffee, alcohol and cocoa should drastically limit;
- to refuse the meats and seafood, except sea fish, rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- avoid fatty dairy products, give preference to dairy – kefir, yogurt, skim curd;
- every day eat a few walnuts;
- during the day drink up to 3 cups of green tea as it helps to cleanse the body of toxins;
- to abandon the semi-finished products and fast food;
- not to abuse the sweet fruit.
- food must be fractional, small portions, this will eliminate the possibility of overeating.
Slight increase in blood cholesterol diet in most cases is sufficient in order to normalize the indicators.
«I have cured hypertension, You can too!»
Actor Oleg Tabakov said
If the diet does not help, and cholesterol remains unchanged (4,138 mmol/l) or he initially higher 4,914 mmol/l, with one correction of the diet not be reduced. Therefore, you should resort to medical problem – use of drugs against cholesterol.