What to do if blood sugar is elevated?
The increase of sugar in the blood is called hyperglycemia. This condition can be transient or permanent. If at least two of the performed analysis show the excess of glucose in the blood above the norm, you should investigate the reasons for the increase of this indicator. Why sugar is increased in the peripheral blood, and what to do in this case?
Hyperglycemia may indicate a number of serious diseases. If the blood sugar is elevated, but there are no symptoms of the disease, that means it’s time to start looking for the reasons for its increase. Of course, it is believed that the main reason for the increase of sugar in the peripheral blood is «sugar disease» diabetes. In fact, the increase in the amount of glucose can develop for a number of conditions and diseases.
When increased sugar?
The high sugar content in the peripheral blood can be under the following conditions and diseases:
- Diabetes. This disease is the main reason why it may be high glucose level in the peripheral blood. As you know, distinguish diabetes first and second type. The first arises if the destroyed cells of the pancreas responsible for insulin synthesis. The second type of diabetes they say that if cells are intact, but they are replaced by fatty tissue.
The first type of diabetes often manifests itself at an early age, the rise in blood sugar can be diagnosed even in children.
Hypertension is no longer a disease?
Doctors are shocked by the statement, the chief cardiac surgeon in the country Leo Beaucaire.
- Acute stress (including pain) is also a cause of increase in the concentration of sugar in the blood. When stress caused by, for example, acute myocardial infarction, often develop related hyperglycemia.
- In addition to pain stress, increased sugar level in the body can occur due to food neurosis bulimia. This person is trying to «jam» their problems.
- Unbalanced diet (even without stress component) may lead to short-term «transient» hyperglycemia. Especially often this symptom develops after visiting the institutions, which used fast food.
- Drug hyperglycemia. Some remedies can increase the level of glucose in the body, so patients diagnosed with diabetes need to make dose adjustments of insulin or oral hypoglycemic drugs. Such medications include some diuretics, beta-blockers and corticosteroid hormones.
What a dangerous increase in sugar concentration in the peripheral blood? If the body is healthy, and hyperglycemia short-term (accounts for periods of increased physical activity), there is nothing wrong with no – glucose is completely utilized muscle tissue. If the numbers of blood glucose reach higher values and is kept for a long period of time, the body undergoing significant changes. Keep in mind these figures: 6 – 10 – 16. This stage hyperglycemia in mmolL. Further increase in the concentration of glucose can cause prekomatosnoe status and loss of consciousness.
The clinical picture
When elevated glucose levels result in the following classic complaints:
- Polyuria is the release of large amounts of urine, that due to the large volume almost always is bright. A person wakes up several times during the night to empty your bladder.
- Polydipsia – thirst. The release of large amounts of water it requires replacement, so patients with chronic hyperglycemia all the time thirsty.
- The loss of body weight without other causes.
These symptoms are known for diabetic «triad» – the three «P» s: polyuria, polydipsia, loss. Other symptoms are a progressive loss of vision, poor healing of wounds and various cuts and reduced immunity.
What to do?
What if there were similar complaints, and the study that you conducted, contact the laboratory sugar (glucose) in the blood was increased? Since you don’t know what did this increase it is not necessary to endlessly repeat these tests and experiment on yourself, and should immediately consult a doctor-endocrinologist. This specialist will examine you carefully, then will be leased to other specific tests for the diagnosis of diabetes, for example, the level of glycosylated hemoglobin, investigation of the level of glucose in the peripheral blood when carrying out the sugar load in other ways.
If the numbers of blood sugar, put on an empty stomach, do not exceed 7 mmol/l, the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus refuted. In this case, is assigned to a hypoglycemic diet with a sharp restriction of «light» and «fast» carbohydrates that are contained, for example, in confectionery. Sometimes one event is enough to eliminate occasional transient hyperglycemia. In some cases it is enough to undo some of the medications caused an increase in sugar and glucose level comes to normal.
If appear the above complaints, and the blood sugar level, which is handed over on an empty stomach more than 7 mmoll, it has all the data for the diagnosis «first diagnosed» diabetes. So it was thought before. Currently, in order to identify diabetes, «routine» laboratory tests is not enough. You need to use such ways:
«I did not believe that hypertension can be defeated!»
Hypertensive veteran Oleg Tabakov has shared the secret of his recovery.
- search of antibodies to insulin;
- search antibodies to the islet cells of Langerhans;
- determination of C-peptide;
- detection of antibodies to TRAINFORTRADE.
Therefore, at the present stage of development of medical science diagnosis of diabetes is almost mathematically precise process.