What to do when a headache?
Everyone once had a headache from fatigue, colds or without obvious reasons. Is this dangerous condition? What to do when it will again overtake?
Causes of headache
Headache is a nonspecific symptom inherent to the different conditions and diseases. Neurologists are paying a lot of attention to this problem due to its high prevalence. Agreed that there are two etiological groups:
- • primary headaches (tension, cluster, migraine) is a mechanism of their appearance has been insufficiently studied in detail; there is a theory incoordination of blood vessels, metabolic mediators in the nervous tissue, and others;
- • secondary headaches occur from other diseases as one of several symptoms.
Secondary headaches can be caused by a rather large list of reasons, among which primarily the following:
- the increase or decrease of blood pressure;
- increased intracranial pressure (brain tumor, hemorrhage in trauma or hemorrhagic stroke, disorders liquorodynamic system);
- intoxication (alcohol, nicotine, after Shisha, drugs, paints, carbon monoxide and other substances);
- infectious disease (ARI, influenza, meningitis, encephalitis);
- traumatic brain injury;
- osteochondrosis of the cervical spine;
- diseases of ENT-organs (sinusitis, frontal sinusitis, otitis) and teeth;
- side effects from medication;
- weather dependent (malaise «weather»);
- after physical exertion (in the heat, after a bath);
- premenstrual syndrome.
The most common primary headaches – up to 90%. A tension headache is a constant, uniformly oppressive, monotonous, usually in the forehead. Her power is almost unchanged. Patients describe it as shrinking the wrap. Occurs in people experiencing a nervous overload, occupying responsible positions.
Hypertension is no longer a disease?
Doctors are shocked by the statement, the chief cardiac surgeon in the country Leo Beaucaire.
Migraine hurts one part of the head. The pain is severe, throbbing, accompanied by nausea and sometimes vomiting. During an attack of marked sensitivity to loud sounds and bright light. Lasts from several hours to several days, the disease often runs in families.
Before the attack of migraine is aura – a «gut feeling» in the form of auditory, olfactory, visual or tactile hallucinations (e.g., hears the murmur of water or the smell of a pie). Found a link of a migraine attack with trigger factors – stress, changes in hormone levels (and therefore more likely to affect women), the consumption of some food and medicine etc.
Cluster headaches most men suffer. Pain come from the eyes, repeated approximately the same time of day. Accompanied by redness of the eye on the affected side and watering eyes from it sometimes with nasal congestion on the same side.
Migraines and cluster headaches are not dealt with by normal painkillers. Treatment should appoint an expert.
When your head hurts, there are several ways to alleviate the condition without drugs:
- find a comfortable position – lying or semi-sitting,
- in the rest room should not be bright light and sharp sounds,
- if you are overworked, give yourself a rest – try to sleep
- if you were long in a stuffy room, get out into the fresh air,
- and if you feel neck is stiff, knead it slowly, follow the turns and head tilts in different directions,
- sometimes the condition is alleviated by eating small portions of light food,
- measure blood pressure: at low level, drink a Cup of coffee (better ground than instant).
In extreme cases, take pain medication (Nimesulide, acetylsalicylic acid, Ibuprofen). Acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) is not appointed children up to 15 years because of the risk of Reye’s syndrome. In nursing mothers drug may get to the baby with breast milk. Pregnant women also should not choose the medicines on their own.
I forgot about hypertension forever!
Oleg Tabakov has shared his secret to a successful struggle with high pressure.
What to do with persistent headaches?
If these methods do not bring relief, seek medical help. Be prepared to answer questions from your doctor:
- How long ago did the pain start?
- Where is the headache (temples, neck, parietal, forehead)?
- Can you describe the nature of pain (pressure, burning, aching, wavy)?
- Is there a frequency or a trigger (sometimes headache only on the second or third day after the adverse impact)? If there is no obvious relationship, get a special diary – mark it food intake, medications, Smoking and drinking alcohol, exercise and sex, sleep and wakefulness.
- Are there any other ailments?
- What did you do and what medicines he took to ease the pain?
- What other diseases do you suffer?
- Always take any medications (from a cold, gastritis, diabetes, oral contraceptives or any other)?
- Do you have any bad habits?
- Than hurt your parents, brothers and sisters?
With a strong headache, you can call an ambulance. Especially if it is accompanied by disturbance of sensation or paralysis in a particular limb – it can be a sign of stroke.
If the pain is well removable with the medicines, but occur frequently, you need to consult your doctor-the therapist, consult a neurologist. Only a specialist can determine the cause and to select appropriate medical treatment. To take painkillers constantly is very dangerous – they can cause a paradoxical amplification of headaches, hemorrhagic syndrome and stomach ulcers.