Chlorhexidine in the nose: can it be washed and how to wash in the cold
Is it possible to rinse with Chlorhexidine?
In various ENT diseases often faced with the need to cleanse the nose. The most effective way is to wash it. To assist in this difficult task will help Chlorhexidine.
In this article we will discuss what a drug, what drug properties, whether it is possible to rinse with Chlorhexidine in diseases such as sinusitis and rhinitis, and how to do it right.
The description of the drug
Chlorhexidine digluconate is an aqueous solution of antibacterial action, used for disinfection of skin injuries and burns.
Effective impact of the drug on different viruses is a good recommendation to use it in the nasal lavage inflammatory processes.
The drug is able to destroy the film of bacteria and fungi occurring in the nasal cavity. This property it helps other drugs to act directly on inflammation.
Part medications included only two components: chlorhexidine digluconate and water. Depending on the volume fraction of the active substance the concentration of the drug and its scope.
Indications for use
This medicine has been proven for nasal manifestations:
- the common cold;
- chronic rhinitis;
- purulent sinusitis.
Nose lavage is the usual hygienic procedure, such as daily washing, or teeth brushing. Even a healthy person will be useful to periodically clean the nasal passages.
Contraindications to the use of funds are:
- Children up to age seven years. Kids are not recommended to rinse the nose with Chlorhexidine. The fact that younger children are still too delicate and sensitive mucous membrane, which is responsible for olfactory cells and protects the nasal cavity. The drug can easily damage them, even at low concentration.
- The presence of mucosal edema. The blockage of the Airways interferes with the nasal lavage. The procedure can cause the drug gets into the middle ear and contribute to the development of new acne. It is advisable first to remove the swelling by special means, and then carry out the cleansing.
- High sensitivity. In some people the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity is particularly delicate. In such circumstances, use of the drug is not recommended.
- Allergic reaction. Idiosyncrasy — a fairly common phenomenon. If a person has a tendency to Allergy, it is better not to risk it. To test the reaction of the organism is very simple: just one drop of a weak solution of Chlorhexidine (0.02 percent) is applied to the mucous and wait a couple of minutes. If you experience a strong burning sensation from this medication should be abandoned.
- The deviated septum. Not even worth wasting time on washing in a similar situation. The action still will not bring the desired effect.
How to breed Chlorhexidine for nasal irrigation?
For washing the nasal cavity aqueous 0.05% solution. Encountered in selling and more concentrated drugs:
- 0,1%, 0,2%, 0,5% — safe for humans;
- 1%, 5% — are used for sterilization of medical instruments;
- 20% — in such use.
To avoid burning of the nasal mucosa, it is necessary to adhere strictly to the concentration of the solution.
Dilute the product to a clean distilled or boiled water. For convenience, you can use the calculations shown in the table below. The result is 200 ml Chlorhexidine desired concentration. If you do not want to deal with the dilution of the drug in pharmacies can always find a solution of the desired concentration.
Chlorhexidine: instructions for use
Before the procedure of nasal lavage with Chlorhexidine need to prepare the necessary tools. Most people use a small pot, a syringe or a syringe without a needle. But there are those who do without all: they put a liquid nose with her hands.
How to rinse with Chlorhexidine:
- The first step is to thoroughly clean the nasal passages of mucus. A good helper in this case is the nasal spray.
- Washing is carried out in warm solution, therefore, Chlorhexidine needs to be warmed up to body temperature.
- His head tilted to one side and pour the remedy into one nostril and out the other it must flow out. If the solution gets in your mouth, in any case it is impossible to swallow. The fluid entering the stomach is threatened with bad consequences.
- After the procedure, you need to sit. To take the prone position is absolutely contraindicated!
Attention! A slight burning sensation during the process is a normal reaction, but the severe pain the solution has to be diluted with a little water.
To carry out such treatment within seven days. The number of washings per day – 2-3 times. The proper dose is 50-100 ml per one session. Longer cleansing of the nose is not recommended, so as not to disturb the natural protective reaction.
Is it possible to rinse with Chlorhexidine relieve sinusitis and other diseases, needs to decide only a doctor. In particular, when sinusitis the sequence of actions is the same as that in the conventional process, only the number of medications increases a little – for one application you need 100-200 ml.
The wash procedure is not pleasant, but for my health you can a little patience.
Features use in children
As mentioned above, the Chlorhexidine in the nose can children use up to seven years. To achieve this age, the application solution is allowed, but use it a little differently.
Means a concentration of 0.05% diluted with water in a ratio of 1:3. The resulting drug was instilled into the nose 1-2 times a day 1-2 drops in each nostril. The duration of treatment is seven days.
Important! Before use on children’s noses, you need to consult a specialist! It is possible to assign another tool with a more gentle action.
Opinions on the use of Chlorhexidine in the nose are very different. Someone thinks the drug is a super tool in the control of inflammation, and there are those who are categorically against such measures.
Svetlana, 26 years old Yekaterinburg: «last year I had to face such an unpleasant disease, like rhinitis. More than half of the month, I used various sprays and nose drops, but the disease did not want to retreat. I began to have concerns about addiction to drugs, and I no longer use them. After walking a couple of days with stuffy nose, I remembered the Chlorhexidine. In my life, it was the experience of washing this tool, but then I treated the throat. And lo! After a couple of cleansing procedures became easier to breathe, and on the third day of use in the nose, I forgot about the cold.»
Catherine, 45, Irkutsk: «I Want to save everyone who believes Chlorhexidine is an excellent remedy for rhinitis. I’m an audiologist, and as a specialist I can assure you that the frequent use of the drug for nasal lavage can backfire. The fact that the mucous membrane after repeated contact with the antiseptic does not produce antibodies to infections. It threatens the common cold or escalate into a more serious illness.»
Igor, 31 years old, Volgograd: «Familiar with the Chlorhexidine for a long time. Use it in the treatment of many diseases and wounds, wipe, and rinse your mouth and nose are washed. The tool is worth a penny, and the range of actions he’s huge. Never refuse such medication only if the production will shoot, but it is unlikely.»
Alena, 24 years, Naberezhnye Chelny: «I was in my life is when we are with a three year old daughter was in the hospital and caught a cold. From home we brought a bunch of drugs, but the doctor has forbidden their use, explaining that she is going to treat their drugs. During the week, two times a day poured into the nose of the daughter dice Chlorhexidine syringe. It was kind of like washing. Ten days later we were discharged perfectly healthy.»
Chlorhexidine, are well known disinfectant, and its scope is large. He perfectly copes with bacteria and viruses, its use in washing the nasal cavity is positive. The most important thing is to follow the rules of washing, carefully study the contraindications and consult a specialist. Do not neglect your health, because it is one for life.