Cold and rhinitis: what is it, symptoms and treatment, folk remedies
How to treat cold and rhinitis?
Nasal congestion, sneezing, profuse mucous discharge – the standard reaction to exposure to low temperatures. The symptoms of allergic rhinitis are common in children and adults.
The tendency to a rapid resolution when you switch to a warm room does not constitute a waiver of therapeutic manipulation. The information how and what to treat cold rhinitis will prevent the abnormal state, to reduce the risk of anaphylactic shock and other serious consequences.
What is a cold rhinitis
The specific etiology of rhinitis is not fully understood. It would be wrong to characterize this provision as an allergic manifestation, because of the provoking antigen does not exist, only the physical factor – external natural impacts.
The opinions of experts were divided, part qualifies the disease as allergic rhinitis in the cold, others attribute it to a variety of vasomotor rhinitis, which manifests itself as a reaction vessel in adverse conditions.
Pathology develops when the same two unfavorable factors – a weakened immune system and impaired mucosal integrity, the decrease in the activity of mucociliary clearance. As immunosuppression is preceded by frequent colds, dysfunction of internal organs and the digestive tract, psychological factors, stress, disturbance of metabolism.
To background diseases of allergic rhinitis include:
- an acute infectious viral disease (measles, mononucleosis, mumps, Mycoplasma pneumonia, rubella);
- inflammation of the gallbladder;
- infection parasitic infestation;
- the maxillary sinusitis.
For reference! Destabilizing effect on the upper Airways have not only thermal readings. A glass of ice water on a hot day, bathing in cold water, rinsing clothes or washing dishes provoke the same symptoms.
Development of abnormal reactions contributes to irritation of the nasal cavity and the pneumatic spaces. Allergic to the cold is due to the increased production of cryoglobulins (serum protein, precipitating at temperatures below 37⁰С). The concentration of immunoglobulin indicates the start of the compressor mechanisms.
Signs of disease
The symptoms of a cold runny nose have similarities with infectious diseases of ENT-organs, but occur exclusively in the cold. For the first time the disease manifests itself in infancy to 6 years or from 20 to 25 years, more often among women and residents of big cities.
To identify the disease can be in the following forms:
- causeless nasal congestion with abundant formation of transparent nasal secretions;
- sensations of itching and burning in the projection of the paranasal sinuses, eyelids, nasolabial triangle;
- the conjunctivitis;
- the localization of blisters, irritation of the skin that have come in contact with the cold;
- the swelling of the exposed areas;
- attacks of suffocation and shortness of breath in the frost.
Tip! To determine the susceptibility to cold rhinitis possible at home. Wrist to put a piece of ice for 5-10 minutes. Through time to evaluate the result: redness of the dermis, pain, formation of blisters confirms the predisposition to allergies and runny nose in the cold.
Moderate nasal discharge, slight nasal sinuses characteristic of any healthy body. Attention requires a clear manifestation of symptoms, which tends to preservation.
Conservative methods of restoration
Therapy of allergic rhinitis in the cold starts with a consultation with an otolaryngologist, allergologist. Based on the pathology and physiology of the patient the doctor determines what to drip in nose during cold rhinitis for each clinical case.
If this condition is caused by serious violations, the first action is aimed at neutralizing a provoking factor, and further relief of symptoms.
Nuance! For diagnosis recommended by the General analysis of blood, research of cryofibrinogenemia and cryoglobulin, biochemistry and immunity.
Treatment of abnormal phenomena is carried out in combination with therapy vs the underlying disease. Common drugs of cold rhinitis does not exist, the therapeutic scheme is based on the administration of drugs of different pharmaceutical groups:
- Antihistamine. Available in tablet form (the»Zodak», claritin», «Aerius»), nasal sprays («Krokadil», «Kromogeksal», «Allergodil»). In Pediatrics, widespread syrup «loratadine», «Avil», «Fenkarol». Active ingredients block histamine receptors, thus neutralize the effect of biogenic amine responsible for the manifestation of allergic reactions. Preparations have antipruritic effect. To prevent prescribed a long course on a cold period or as medicines emergency for any reaction. To take orally or to irrigate the nasal passages be advisable for a quarter of an hour before visiting the street.
- Glucocorticosteroid: «Nasonex», «Flixonase», «Dexamethasone», «Hydrocortisone». Possess anti-inflammatory activity, effective in all allergic manifestations. The main drawback of hormonal methods is the development of negative consequences. Side effects pronounced in preparations for intramuscular/intravenous injection. Therefore, doctors prefer ointments, inhalation solutions, tablets, eye and nasal drops.
- Autolymphocytotherapy – a selection of his own blood lymphocytes to reduce the susceptibility of the organism of aggressive factors that cause the clinical manifestations. The treated immune cells are administered to the patient back in 6-8 treatments with a certain time interval.
Tip! Instillation into the nasal passages moisturizing preparations «Akvamaris», «Humer», «Marimer» before the introduction of the drug enhances its absorption, increases the therapeutic effect.
With the development of conjunctivitis medical scheme complement ophthalmic drops: «Sulfacetamide», «ORBICOM», «Oftelecom». To restore breathing is strictly forbidden to use vasoconstrictor drops.
In treatment for cold runny nose the doctors focus on preventive measures:
- compliance with hypoallergenic diet. The limitation or exclusion of products with a high allergenicity (citrus, mushrooms, carrots, chocolate, ham, carbonated beverages, smoked, fried and spicy food) normalizes the condition and functioning of the capillaries of the mucous membrane, reduces the sensitization of the organism;
- the vitamin complex A, C, E, PP to optimize peripheral processes;
- wearing the thermos with hot water/tea, because warm fluid reduces or neutralizes a pathological reaction;
- protect nose and mouth from the cold air;
- the treatment of the skin special cream for 15-20 minutes before going outside;
- increase daily intake of fluid consumption.
To reduce the number of seizures and enhance immune defense will help the procedure of hardening. Recommended to start with the treatment of the upper extremities with water at room temperature, gradually reducing the degree and increasing the area.
In the treatment of cold, rhinitis folk remedies popularity has received the following recipes:
- The crimson broth. 500 ml. of boiling water put 50-60 g of dry powdered roots, simmer on low heat for at least 30 minutes, drain. To use the liquid 2-3 times a day 2 tablespoons just before visiting the street.
- Fresh juice of celery daily value per 30 ml. reduces the susceptibility to low temperature.
- Herbal emulsion. In the tank mix a tablespoon with a slide of mint, calendula, celandine and burdock, pour sunflower oil above the level of grass on one finger. Insist day, then sterilize in a water bath, drain. To resolve itching and irritation daily to treat affected skin areas.
- Coniferous baths. To prepare the broth amiss bark, cones, needles. Cook until tender on low heat. Use face wash or added to the bath.
- Tincture of nettle. The crushed plants pour boiling water, leave overnight for infusion. The filtered solution is consumed on an empty stomach: 1 tsp three times a day.
The symptoms and treatment of cold, rhinitis in children and adults have their own specifics, therefore, to differentiate pathology within the competence of a specialist. The condition of the patient will depend on how well-composed medical scheme, complied with the recommendations of the doctor taken preventive measures.