Constant runny nose in a child: what to do and causes than to treat
What to do if your child has a constant runny nose?
The protracted course of the inflammatory process of the mucosa is evident the child has a constant runny nose. To normalize quality of life and relief of symptoms, it is crucial to differentiate the etiology of rhinitis, correctly pick the pharmaceutical.
The article presents a review of aggressive factors causing this clinical condition and the recommendations to parents what to do if the baby is constantly flowing snot.
Snot are rarely independent disease. Often their development is preceded by an allergic reaction, infection of the upper respiratory tract. Nasal mucosa performs a barrier function, preventing the penetration of foreign agents within the nasal cavity.
Direct aggressive factors destabilizie protective mechanism that reduces the activity of the mucociliary apparatus, and causes inflammation and swelling of soft tissues, excessive production of secretory discharge.
If you do not limit the contact with an irritant, runny nose becomes protracted.
Possible reasons for the very frequent runny nose in a child:
- Allergies. When exposed to antigens the body responds by increased production of biogenic amine, serotonin and bradykinin, which contribute to hypersecretion of mucus. Sencibilisiruet mucociliary clearance of spores of plants, dust, pet dander, household chemicals, food products. Allergic reaction clinical picture complements watery eyes, coughing, itching and burning inside the nose, redness of the skin.
- Bacterial and viral ENT diseases. Activation of infectious agents preceded by hypothermia, the condition of immunosuppression. Upon contact with microorganisms produces mucous nasal secretions, which contain antimicrobial substance.
- Vasomotor disturbances. The neuro-reflex mechanism occurs when sudden thermal changes, inhalation of hot or cold air, amid the emotional turmoil, excessive exercise. The tone of the vascular wall break diseases of the endocrine, cardiovascular, nervous system.
- Adverse climatic conditions, the toxic effects of industrial emissions, and chemical compounds. In such an environment, the mucosa undergoes a systematic irritation, which increases the likelihood of developing chronic rhinitis.
- Immunodeficiency States. A weakened defense mechanism is not able to withstand the attack of pathogens. They reach the inner shell, then radiating healthy organs and systems. The result is frequent and prolonged colds, which are accompanied by a regular expiration of snot from his nose, migration, pathology of catarrhal stage to chronic.
- Changes of bone and cartilaginous structures of the nose. Disrupt the natural debridement of the nasal cavity, which predisposes the growth and reproduction of pathogenic microflora, congenital anomalies, narrow nasal passages, a deviated septum.
- Benign growths (polyps, white seals, warts, adenoids). With the active growth phase tumors increase in size, completely blocking the channels of communication nasal cavity with the outside world. Accumulation of phlegm in the projection of the nose is a favorable environment for the life of infectious agents, thereby supporting the inflammation in the nasopharynx.
- The indiscriminate use of vasoconstrictor drops. Blockers alpha-adrenergic receptors composed of sympathomimetics have a detrimental effect on the activity of ciliated epithelium, which leads to violation of the outflow aconselho secret, drug rhinitis.
Important! Liquid transparent snot from newborn up to 3 months do not require treatment. In medicine, the physiological state of the indicated cold. In this way the mucosa adapted to the new environmental conditions.
Lingering runny nose in a child there is a risk of complications in the disruption of the dynamic process of growth and biological maturation of the baby, you change the structure of the facial skeleton, inflammation of the larynx, bronchi and lungs.
It is important to seek medical help at the first pathological symptoms, to treat with a full course until the disappearance of clinical manifestations.
How to treat constant runny nose in a child
The success of therapy depends on how well and accurately identified the causes of long snot from a toddler. For the formation of the diagnosis, the audiologist conducts instrumental (rhinoscopy, x-rays) and laboratory tests (biochemical and General blood analysis, Allergy tests, swab from the nasal cavity).
To stabilize the condition of the baby is necessary to create favourable conditions:
- to control humidity (50-60%) and temperature in the room (day t varies from 20 to 22⁰С, for a night’s sleep is reduced to 18⁰С). For climate control use a humidifier, or air conditioning room, hung at the bed’s head (in the heating season on batteries) wet towels;
- regularly wet cleaning. These measures reduce the concentration of irritating agents, and dust in the room, ease breathing, improve children’s sleep;
- to provide drinking plenty of fluids (juices, fruit drinks, fruit drinks, tea, alkaline water without gas). The liquid washes away the toxic waste products of pathogenic strains, normalizes water-salt balance in each cell;
- increase the height of the head of the bed, tucked an extra pillow. This posture improves expectoration, facilitates nasal breathing;
- to balance the power. To prepare the child easily digested foods, give up spices, pickles, smoked products and marinades. To limit the use of confectionery and bakery products. To saturate the organism with vitamins and microelements to focus on fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy products, lean meats and fish;
- more fresh air if the child’s condition allows. For the physiological readjustment of the cavity the baby needs to be on the street not less than 60-90 minutes.
Tip! When the kid is sick it is very important to keep breastfeeding. Mother’s milk he gets protective elements, is the formation of body resistance to aggressive factors.
In acute viral diseases to avoid places of a mass congestion of people, on time vaccination, when you first suspected respiratory disease to take antiviral drugs.
To stop the causes of protracted rhinitis without pharmaceutical drugs difficult. Than to treat and what to do if your child has a constant runny nose prescribed by your doctor.
Differentiated etiology of upper respiratory tract, the audiologist selects the medicine, taking into account physiological characteristics of the patient (weight, height, medical history, General condition).
The possible list of pharmacotherapy form the following groups:
- Solutions based on isotonic sea water: «Akvamaris», «Humer», «no-Sol». Enrich mucosa with beneficial trace elements, prevent from drying and the formation of crusts, increase aeration of the sinuses, accelerate the regeneration of soft tissues.
- Vasoconstrictor: «Vibrocil», «Nazivin», «Nazol Baby». Temporarily relieve nasal breathing, stop the symptoms of rinorea, eliminate inflammation, reduce spasm in the smooth muscle muscle. Therapeutic course is limited to 3-5 days, in severe cases, may use up to 10 days.
- Antihistamine: «Loratadine», «Allergodil», «Core», «Zodak». Block the development of allergic reactions, decrease the production of biogenic amine, reduce swelling of the mucous membrane, exert antipruritic effect.
- Antibacterial: «Izofra», «Bioparox», «Polideksa», «Resorption». Nasal sprays show a local action designed for the rehabilitation of the nasal cavity, active against gram-positive and gram-negative strains. Use from 5 to 10 days.
- Homeopathic: «Arsenicum», «Allium Flail», «Aconitum», «Oscillococcinum». Effective in combination with primary therapy. Natural composition has a minimum of contraindications. Anti-inflammatory effect, increases the level of interferon in the blood, trigger protective immune processes within the body.
- Glucocorticosteroids: «Nasonex», «Lower Blood Pressure Mother», «Flixonase». Steroid components improve the quality of nasal breathing, stop the inflammatory process, reduce soft tissue swelling.
Tip! To reduce the intensity of pain, normalize the body temperature will help cough syrup «Nurofen».
Constant rhinitis responds well to physiotherapy effects. To eliminate the symptoms of rinorei the doctor prescribes a course of 5 to 12 sessions of treatments, UHF, ultraviolet irradiation, massage the reflex areas.
Atrophy of the mucous problem is solved by cryotherapy, laser photocoagulation, endoscopic intervention. Adenoids and polyps often are removed surgically.
Prolonged rhinitis is evidence of pathological changes in the upper respiratory tract. Inflammation requires medical participation to determine the destabilizing factors, diagnosis, choice of treatment.
Subject to the recommendations of the doctor, to create a favorable microclimate, you can be confident in the positive dynamics.