Cough and snot from a baby: how to treat
Than to treat a child’s cough and sniffles?
Regardless of the time of year, parents are faced with the onset of cold and cough in children. These symptoms have different manifestations of nature, on which depends the treatment. How to treat a child’s cough and sniffles, avoiding the pathological course of the disease? In which cases is the use of medications and when the symptoms may pass on their own?
The reasons for the emergence of reflex reactions of the organism
The cough and snot are the protective reaction of the organism, contributing to reflex airway clearance. They do not constitute a separate disease manifest due to the impact of many factors – colds, allergic reactions, teething, etc.
The anatomical structure of the nasopharynx in young children in the event of a cold involves the runoff miconazole of mucus at the back of the throat that provokes cough syndrome.
Depending on the symptomatic picture, coughing and snot can indicate the following changes in the body:
- signs of intoxication (fever, weakness, fever), excessive production of nasal mucus may indicate the penetration of the viral/bacterial agents in the body;
- at normal temperature of the body, light mucous, paroxysmal cough reflex can talk about the signs of an allergic reaction;
- instant reaction in the form of coughing, sneezing, producing nasal mucus may indicate ingestion of a foreign body in the nasal passages. If the child begins to pale skin, showing signs of suffocation – urgently call the ambulance.
For reference! The nature myconazole mucus, you can determine the causative agent – snot viscous consistency and green in color testify to the activity of bacteria, excessive production of transparent nasal mucus is the result of infection.
The emergence of yellow mucus on day 5-7 of treatment talking about the recovery of the child, mucus with the admixtures of purulent exudate indicate pathological course of diseases of upper respiratory tract and may accompany such diseases as sinusitis, tonsillitis, frontal sinusitis, etc.
Cause of cough and mucus in infants, no additional symptomatic manifestations, may be the physiological runny nose. If the child is 2 years or more, the symptoms indicated inflammation in the respiratory tract. How to cure a child’s cough and snot, consult your physician first identifying the etiology of the disease.
What to do if your child has snot and cough
First of all you should visit the pediatrician to determine the nature of the manifestations of the symptomatic picture. In some circumstances it is possible to do without the use of pharmacological products.
If the doctor confirmed that the occurrence of the cough reflex is associated with the eruption of the teeth, morning with expectoration of accumulated mucus, physiological, runny nose, or cough occurs during breastfeeding – these phenomena indicates the absence of any disease in the child.
The physiological runny nose
The appearance of the common cold in infants is not associate with a pathological course of any disease. Respiratory system after birth is a period of adjustment and does not require treatment, only hygiene of the nasal cavity.
For this it is necessary to undertake daily toilet of the nose with solutions of sea water «Phrase», «Akvamaris», «no-Sol», etc., or to use a physiological saline solution. For infants more rational use of pharmacological products presented in the form of drops, thus preventing the ingress of solution into the middle ear and the development of otitis media.
The daily rate is 1-2 drops in each nostril, three times a day. After instillation is necessary to sustain the interval of 3-5 minutes and remove excess mucus with a cotton turundae or a special device – a nasal aspirator.
In addition to the hygienic procedures necessary to maintain optimal humidity level in the room (50-60%), regularly ventilate the room and make wet cleaning.
Important! The physiological runny nose in infants can last up to three months of age.
The physiological process of entering the crown part of the tooth surface, the gums can be accompanied by runny nose and cough. When teething the baby, special glands of the nasal mucosa profusely start to work out the secret of the surplus which runs down the back of the throat and triggers the cough reflex.
In this case, as in the physiological runny nose, to help the child can removing nasal mucus, after prior instillation of saline.
Snot and coughing as a result of allergies
If the parents see the child has additional symptoms such as stuffy nasal passages, the appearance of itchy rashes on the skin, copious fluid lacrimal glands – we are talking about an allergic reaction.
To provoke a hypersensitivity of the immune system child can foods, spores of plants, the fur of Pets, washing powder. The key to successful treatment in this case is the identification and elimination of the causative agent of allergic reactions.
To eliminate the symptoms possible with drug treatment:
- antihistamines help to suppress the production of free histamine acts as a provocateur allergic reactions. Pediatricians give preference to preparations of new generation – «Telfast», «Aerius», «claritin», «Zodak». Every medication has age restrictions, so can be used only on prescription of a physician, at the dosage corresponding to the age of the child;
- sympathomimetics are necessary to restore the drainage function of the nose, eliminate swelling of the mucous. Depending on the active substance, a therapeutic effect may vary. Most effective «Sanorin», «Linestop», «Nazivin», «Vibrocil». The frequency of reception and the number of drops of the drug determines the pediatrician. In order to avoid addiction to vasoconstrictor drops – treatment should not exceed 3-5 days.
Important! In allergic rhinitis, the child should avoid treatment with traditional medicine.Some herbs are potent mediators of allergic inflammation.
Among the conventional measures alleviate the little patient to drink plenty of hypoallergenic diet, daily wet cleaning, ventilation of the premises, the maintenance of humidity.
Acute respiratory viral infections
Symptomatic picture of colds and cough with SARS complements the hyperemia and redness of the mucous membrane of the pharynx, an indicator of the thermal state of the child more than 37.5 °C, congestion of the nasal passages. By adhering to the principles of symptomatic therapy to stop the disease is possible within 5-6 days.
To do this:
- Rinse nasal passages salt or saline solution. You can buy the finished products – «Marimer», «Humer», «Aqualor». These funds are permitted for use from the first days of life, enhance the therapeutic effect of funds, non-addictive, and therefore can be used long course. For children from birth to 5 years – 1-2 drops of product into each nostril, 3 R/day. Older children it is acceptable to use drugs in the form of sprays – 1-2 spray in each nostril.
- To normalize body temperature are appointed antipyretics. Antipyretics are presented in the form of syrups, suppositories rectal — «Nurofen», «Panadol», «Ibuprofen».
- To reduce the production aconselho secret, eliminate the swelling of mucous using decongestants is «Glycine», «Long Baby», «Oxymetazoline». If you change the biochemical composition of nasal mucus – the appearance of the viscosity, the color changes to green, yellow arises the need to use local antibiotics «Izofra», «Polideksa», «Bioparoks». The daily rate is determined individually.
- Depending on the type of cough, the pediatrician selects the group of medicines. Unproductive (dry) cough treated «Sinekoda», «Ambrobene». When productive (wet) cough need to use mucolytics («Fluimucil», «Mucosolvan»), sekretomotornym action («Geelix», «Woken», «liquorice»). Based on the age of the little patient the doctor determines the daily rate and the course of therapy.
Important! For children under two years of age are not allowed to include in the therapeutic regimen mucolytic and expectorants, as in my kids can’t expectorate. To facilitate state kid, you need to stimulate the upper respiratory tract with percussion massage.
Long duration of cough and mucus in a child without additional symptomatic picture shows about the allergies, delayed treatment which can trigger the development of chronic bronchitis, bronchial asthma. Timely medical care can prevent the migration of allergic reactions in the pathological diseases of ENT-organs.
If the cough and the snot from the child constantly, before you start treatment necessary to discuss his actions with a pediatrician. In most cases, drug therapy is precluded by adherence to preventive measures. Self-selection drugs may lead to complications, so the mapping treatment of cough and mucus in a child is best left to a specialist.