Cough associated with sinusitis in children and adults: can be and how to treat
How to treat cough with sinusitis?
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the maxillary sinuses. Pathology can occur due to infection or virus. But the disease affects the respiratory tract. Patients usually complain of decreased sense of smell and the violation of nasal breathing.
Cough associated with sinusitis in children and adults occurs not always, but is a common symptom of the disease. It appears for several reasons, one of which is the spread of infection in the respiratory tract in the absence of treatment.
Could it be sinusitis if cough and why?
Cough associated with sinusitis do happen and quite often. The symptom appears in the background of the spread of infection and inflammatory process. Mucus accumulates in the sinuses, flows down the throat, which provokes a sore throat.
This symptom also appears in the following cases:
- the inflammation that develops in the nasal sinus in acute or chronic pathology;
- the lack of treatment in acute form;
- maxillary sinusitis is when swelling and inflammation are moving into the area of the nasopharynx;
- the presence of allergens or infections.
The cough can be both dry and wet. It depends on the amount of sputum. If it drains only when a person takes a horizontal position or tilts his head, mucus is excreted through the respiratory tract. When this occurs, a cough.
In cases of escalating pathology of chronic phlegm constantly flows down the wall of the larynx, but in insufficient quantities. Thus, there is a dry cough.
See also, what folk remedies promote the expectoration of sputum with a dry cough.
Why there is cough after a sinus infection?
In some cases, despite the fact that all the therapeutic procedures were carried out properly and timely, may be left with a cough. It should not be lenient towards this anomaly. As a result of influence of pathogenic microorganisms could occur defeat of the bronchial tree, which can result in bronchitis and pneumonia.
If the sinusitis was completely cured, but the cough does not recede for several days, you experience chest pain, you should consult a specialist. For exceptions and prevent the occurrence of complications, the specialist will prescribe the conduct of fluoroscopy.
Treatment of sinusitis in adults and children
Treatment of cough associated with sinusitis in children and adults should be comprehensive. Together with drug therapy is physiotherapy. You can also use the recipes of traditional medicine.
Many herbal teas have healing properties and help to speed up the healing process. But the use of folk remedies only after consultation with your doctor.
How to overcome sinusitis in pregnancy and not to harm the child? Read in this article.
Drug therapy in sinusitis involves the use of following groups of drugs:
- Antibiotics. The choice of drug depends on the type of microorganisms. To determine resistance to the active substances of medicines is carried out bacteriological examination of smears from the nasal mucosa.
For children easy to use drugs in the form of sprays, for example, Bioparox. Thanks to this active substance will reach the lesion and to affect the virus. Also assigned Amoxiclav, Solutab and Augmentin in pill form. Antibiotics for sinusitis and cough in adults and children should use only as directed.
- Painkillers. At high temperature are appointed antipyretics and painkillers. For children apply tools, which include paracetamol, for example Panadol. Adults are recommended to take Nurofen. These medicines not only help to normalize the temperature, but also possess anti-inflammatory action. It is important to follow the doctor’s orders and do not exceed the prescribed dose, as the funds have a number of side effects.
- Vasoconstrictor. Apply for a withdrawal of edema. Available in sprays and drops. The most effective are Nazivin, Naphazoline, and Otrivin Galazolin. Drugs used to treat children and adults. But you should know that to use means not more than 5 days, as you may experience nasal bleeding, atrophy of the mucosa.
- Corticosteroids. Apply in the case of allergic sinusitis and have a positive effect on the immune system.
Also assigned to the washing of the nose using antiseptic solutions, such as Protargol, Isory or Dioksidina.
If the sinusitis is accompanied by a cough with phlegm, patients are assigned mucolytic drugs that liquefy mucus and facilitate its excretion from the lungs. For the treatment of children fit Mukaltin and Ambroxol. Adult appointed by Muradin or Sinupret. Drugs have minimum side effects and contraindications.
Also read how to cure cough caused by abnormalities of the cardiovascular system.
Lavage of sinuses Yamik-catheter
One of the most effective methods of treatment of sinusitis is considered washing. The procedure is performed by a doctor or at home by yourself. Special solutions are used, salt or herbal decoctions.
Popular AMIC-procedure. Lavage is performed with a special catheter, which prevents the ingress of solution into the respiratory tract. AMIK used to treat children and adults.
Methods of physiotherapeutic treatment have been widely used in the treatment of many pathologies. They help intensify the effects of drugs and speed up recovery.
When you apply sinusitis:
- Laser therapy. Effect on the sinus with the help of the laser.
- UHF. Ultrahigh-frequency therapy has a number of contraindications, which necessarily takes account of the doctor at the appointment. UHF allows you to relieve swelling and inflammation.
- Electrophoresis. During the procedure, apply anti-inflammatory or antibacterial solutions. Impact on the focus of the inflammatory process occurs by means of electric current.
Methods of physiotherapeutic treatment to help reduce inflammation, edema, restore nasal breathing and speed up the healing process. Appointed in accordance with the form of the disease and degree of dissemination of the pathological process.
One of the popular methods of folk medicine are steam inhalation.
For the procedure in the home use potato or lime concoctions, infusions of sage, plantain or St. John’s wort.
To prepare a decoction of 20 g dry plant poured into the kettle and pour a liter of water and boil on low heat for 30 minutes, then cooled to 40 degrees. Make paper cone and put on the spout.
In addition, for inhalation can be purchased aromatic oils in an amount of 2-3 drops added to hot water. Contained in the oil substances have immunostimulatory effects and liquefy phlegm, which promotes its excretion.
It should be remembered that with increased body temperature steam inhalation is contraindicated.
Reduce inflammation help nose drops of potato juice, solution of propolis or aloe juice. Before bed in the nasal cavity can also be dripping oil of rose hips. It relieves dry cough, which occurs in the evening, and inflammation of the nasopharynx.
In the interscapular region, apply a mustard, or a simple heater. When exposed to heat, it liquefies phlegm and it is more easily removed. Can also be purchased at the pharmacy special patches with eucalyptus or menthol.
One of the most effective methods of traditional medicine for sinusitis is gargling salt water. The procedure facilitates the liquefaction and elimination of sputum.
In the absence of effectiveness of other methods is assigned a puncture of the sinuses that occurs with a puncture. The procedure is virtually painless, there is a feeling of failure. In addition to completely no side effects.
To eliminate the need for surgical intervention and to avoid complications, you should not self-medicate. It is worth remembering that any medicines and folk remedies should be used only after consultation with your doctor.
It is crucial to seek the assistance of an experienced professional who will tell you how and what to treat cough associated with sinusitis is to effectively deal with the problem.