Cough drops during pregnancy: what cough drops can
What cough medicine can during pregnancy?
The usual cough and cold medicines fall under a strict ban in the period of carrying a child. The symptomatic manifestation of disease in the form of cough requires mandatory therapy last.
The complexity of the preparation of a therapeutic scheme pregnant women is to determine effective and safe medicines. What cough medicine can during pregnancy to achieve a positive dynamics, excluding the threat of developing life?
Benefit or harm of cough drops in the period of carrying a child
The state of immunodeficiency in pregnancy, is an expected phenomenon. Manifestation of physiological immunosuppression during this period represents a protective reaction of the body, preventing immunological rejection of the embryo.
On the other hand, the suppression of natural immunity in women increases the risk of morbidity of the respiratory tract, in the symptomatic picture of which there is coughing. This symptom requires immediate treatment, as it may be a provocateur irreversible effects, including:
- oxygen starvation of the fetus occurring as a result hemomicrocirculatory process in the placental barrier;
- the increased tension of smooth muscles of the uterus. Prolonged cough leads to active contraction of the involved muscles, which may cause a premature labor (22 weeks);
- abnormal discharge of blood from the female reproductive organ, leading to spontaneous abortion.
The list of irreversible consequences of delayed treatment of cough determines a positive answer to the question of many women in the position — whether cough drops during pregnancy.
With proper diagnosis of the disease, the length of gestation, the General condition of women, the availability of allergic reactions, the attending specialist recommends appropriate drugs for the treatment of cough, valid for a certain period of gestational time.
Important! A particular threat is the cough syrup for pregnant, with abnormal location of the placenta (partial, full and low previa child seats).
The list of medicines allowed when pregnant
Depending on the etiology of the cough, its type and period of pregnancy, the doctor chooses the drugs products that eliminate the occurrence of side effects, do not penetrate through the placental barrier.
Self-medication in this period is extremely dangerous, as no knowledge of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the drug may not only complicate the course of the disease, but also lead to undesirable consequences. Moreover, most medicines can cause teratogenic effect (violation of embryonic development).
For reference! Pregnant women should not be considered a folk therapy. Recipes of traditional medicine include herbs to treat coughs. Some of them are medicinal comfrey, St. John’s wort, mother and stepmother, have teratogenic action, but may also contribute to the reduction of the uterus to increase uterine bleeding.
Cough attacks are the most dangerous in the first two trimesters of pregnancy. In turn, in the first 13 weeks is the formation of vital organs from a baby, so funds are selected based on the absence of embryotoxic action with a maximum pharmacological efficiency of the product.
Linear series presents:
- «Mukaltin». Can be administered with dry and wet cough. A drug with the active substance – root of Althaea contributes to the increased secretion of mucus, improves its expectoration. Due to the stimulation of mucociliary clearance is an acceleration of the process of sputum discharge. Vegetable origin determines the ability to use the drug at any gestational period. Among the contraindications to the use of individual sensitivity to components of the drug, pathological course of pregnancy (risk of miscarriage).
- «Sinupret», by the representative of the group of homeopathic medicines. Has a pronounced secretolytic, anti-edematous, anti-inflammatory action due to its composition of flowers of elderberry, vervain, root, gentians, etc. Contributes to thinning and removal of phlegm. The list of contraindications includes lactose intolerance, epilepsy, liver disease. Despite the safe composition requires directed by your healthcare professional.
- «Dr. Taysom» with vitamin C and extracts of sage. These cough drops during pregnancy are included in a comprehensive treatment plan. The drug has immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory action. Accelerates the process of discharge of phlegm, helping to reduce its viscosity. Do not use the product if you are hypersensitive components, the presence of sores in the mouth.
- «Travesia». Lozenges are complex drugs of plant origin, prescribed for cough the attacks of various nature manifestations. In most cases, is used for dry cough due to expectorate, antiseptic, immunostimulant action. Manual of the medicinal product does not contain any information on the prohibition of the use in pregnancy, but requires a prescription.
Important! Prohibited pharmacological products during the entire gestational period are «ACC», «Codelac», «THERMOPAL», «Gripex». In exceptional cases, when the threat to the life of the mother outweighs the potential risks to the fetus, the doctor can decide to turn on a therapeutic regimen.
With 13 on 28 week, the list of allowed drugs is expanding, since about 11 weeks there is a thickening of the sheath of the placenta, which creates additional protection for the child. Do not neglect the advice of a doctor, in this period there is a risk of a late miscarriage, so the choice of drugs should be approached with caution.
The list of recommended drugs includes:
- «Ambroxol», appointed in productive cough reflex. Helps to reduce viscosity of phlegm, increasing its mucocilliary evacuation by pronounced mucolytic and otharkivajushchim action. Has identical pharmacological properties with «Bromhexine». Contraindicated in patients with a history of peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer, epileptic syndrome, fructose intolerance.
- «Gerbion». Depending on the composition of the drug may have a different purpose – with a wet cough is assigned to the Primula syrup, with a dry – extract of plantain. Ulcerative lesions of the digestive tract, diabetes, individual intolerance to the components, sucrose and fructose – contraindications to the use of the drug. The use of the drug requires consistency with the treating specialist.
- «Remens». The main purpose of the funds – the impact on irritating, dry cough syndrome. The combination in the composition guaifenesin and digitaltruth of butamirat allows you to have a bronchodilator effect, along with the expectorant. The dosage is adjusted according to body weight, therefore, the appointment requires the participation of a specialist.
- «Broncho-Gran» is a complex homeopathic product with a wide therapeutic spectrum of action. Helps to restore the functioning of the ciliated epithelium, liquefies phlegm, and ensures its transport, suppresses cough. Can be combined with other medicinal products, practically has no contraindications except hypersensitivity of the organism to components of the medication.
For reference! Action of mucolytics enhances a large consumption of warm fluids during treatment – warm weak tea, stewed fruit, juice.
In the last month of the gestational period were allowed to be included in the therapeutic regimen of medicinal products, valid on 1.2 trimesters. With care prescribers, provoking uterine contractions. In the list of prohibited drugs – the «Spilled», «Bronchipret», and also includes licorice, thermopsis, anise oil.
What syrups can be used for cough during pregnancy can be found here.
Before you purchase the medication, you should consult with your doctor about the cough drops is possible during pregnancy. The exclusion of the option of self-medication will help to avoid undesirable consequences and to cure the cough syndrome with minimal risk to the child. To prevent colds and cough will allow compliance with generally accepted preventive measures.