Cough in a child after sleep: reasons why coughs, Komorowski
Why after sleep is the child coughing?
Cough is a natural reaction of the body aimed at cleansing the respiratory tract from foreign substances, and restoration of patency of the pneumatic channels. But the cough in children in the morning after sleep is a physiological or a pathological process?
Often periodic mild jerky breaths without concomitant symptoms considered to be the norm. Expert advice is necessary to determine the nature of the appearance of an unpleasant symptom, eliminate the possibility of serious violations.
Causes a morning cough in children
Cough is not an independent disease, but a symptom that indicates on existing problem with health. The character of the cough reflex depends on the etiology of the disease, the intensity, the expectoration, the time of the manifestation.
If the child clears his throat in the morning and during the day it did not bother, then we are talking about natural process body’s rejection of foreign objects or residues of the mucus accumulated during the night. As a rule, the cough is moist with formation of phlegm, subsides rapidly, has no tendency to progression.
Physiological cough in children without fever in the morning arises on the background of the following factors:
- Dry air in the room where the child sleeps, causes the mucous membranes to produce an increased amount of mucus to moisturize the upper respiratory tract, which during the night is localized in the nasopharynx.
- Breastfeeding or formula feeding. Part of the liquid food flows into the tracheobronchial tree, which subsequently provokes the reflex expectoration. To anticipate unpleasant symptom, you need to lightly support the baby’s head in the process of feeding. After completion of the meal to maintain in a vertical position to free the digestive tract from air and food residues.
- Teething. In this period aktiviziruyutsya the work of the salivary gland, secreted which accumulates in the projection of the throat during sleep. Naturally, after waking up, the baby may need to clear the airway with cough acts.
- A sharp change in body position after waking up. Portion pathological secretion gets into the trachea, causing a wet cough in the morning in the child. Reflex breaths are short character.
Tip! If the cough appeared first observe the child, note the presence of accompanying symptoms, General condition and behaviour.
Prerequisites for the manifestation of morning cough can be a psychosomatic cause. In such cases, the cough symbolizes the desire to Express themselves, to attract attention from adults or to Express an act of disagreement (unwillingness to perform any actions, access to kindergarten, school).
Morning cough as a symptom of the disease
If the child becomes worse, increasing the frequency and intensity of cough acts manifested additional clinical manifestations require medical participation.
It is important to properly and timely diagnose pathological disorders, to reduce the risk of chronic disease, to prevent adverse consequences.
Causes of pathological cough:
- Bacterial and viral colds. Dry cough in a child after sleeping worried about the initial stage of the lesion. Without adequate treatment, the patient’s condition worsens, the coughing fits increase in frequency and duration. Toddler complains of pain and sore throat, nasal congestion, runny nose, high fever, General malaise.
- Allergies. Cough is one form of allergic reaction that occurs in dust, wool, Pets, feather pillows, bed linen. If you notice that your morning cough has increased after the replacement of linen, it could be a reaction to a new detergent or rinse.
- Bronchial asthma. Short paroxysmal cough discomfort throughout the day, especially in the first hours after waking up. In the early forms of the disease the cough acts accompanied by a slight formation of phlegm. As the deterioration of the patient’s condition changes the character of the forced exhalations. Strong and frequent seizures accompanied by profuse production of pathological secretions, child experiences pain in the throat, chest and abdomen.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Pathology caused by reflux of the digestive tract gastric contents, which causes the lesion of the lower esophagus. Manifested by such signs as heartburn, retching, pain in the chest, dry throat, shortness of breath, white coating on the tongue, a cough which often occurs in the first half of the day.
- Pertussis infection. It is characterized by the unique character of the cough acts: the disease begins with frequent dry cough, which becomes paroxysmal in nature. The attacks are repeated one after the other that completes a deep breath, accompanying reprisal (whistling sound). The crises are repeated systematically throughout the day, but in the morning they are the hardest.
- ENT pathology. Morning flash cough can torture the child because of the localization in the respiratory pathways of pathogenic microorganisms, e.g., Haemophilus influenzae. Infectious agents increase the production of nasal secretions that day departs in a natural way. Horizontal secret runs down the back wall of the larynx, irritating the receptor endings of cough center.
Tip! Pediatricians recommend to use for washing children’s clothes and bed linen are Allergy-free household chemicals.
The list of diseases, accompanied by intense morning cough are very diverse. The root cause of its appearance may become chronic bronchitis, pneumonia residual effects after suffering a pathology.
Therefore, it is important to consult a specialist to rule out the possibility of serious violations, to make a decision whether you need therapy, and what.
Tips Dr. Komarovsky
Pediatrician E. O. Komarovsky recommends that before making pharmacotherapy to analyse which factor could have triggered the cough after sleep, what has changed in the nursery since the advent of reflex acts.
It could be a new bed, a new toy or Laundry detergent. The problem is solved by the observance of purity, humidification, proper nutrition and frequent walks in the fresh air.
The appearance of the morning cough, the pediatrician correlates with inflammation of the mucosa of the nasopharynx – see nasopharyngitis. Favorable conditions for the development of pathology creates dry air, hypothermia, reduced immune activity, adverse living conditions, infectious ENT diseases.
Contact with allergens also precedes the development of rhinitis rear. Custom response triggers pet dander, dust, pollen houseplants.
The pathology treatment starts with identification and elimination of the irritant. To achieve positive dynamics of parents should follow these guidelines:
- Translating the child on a special diet. Limit intake of spicy, salty, fried, fatty foods and spices. The emphasis on steam specialties, rare cereals, low-fat soups.
- Treating the nasal passages with saline spray or a moisturizing spray with drugs: «Akvamaris», «Humer», «Marineros».
- Spend more time outdoors.
- Ventilate the room 2 times a day.
- Control the humidity in the room. The optimum figure is 55-60%. This can be achieved with the help of a humidifier. As a variant, during the heating season to hang wet towels on the battery.
- To choose a vitamin complex.
- Ensure to drink plenty of liquids.
- A systematic wet cleaning.
Tip! If the accumulation aconselho secret the child deteriorated the quality of breathing, use an aspirator for nose or handy tools (syringe, bag, dropper).
Be attentive to the health of children, do not self-medicate. Any disease is easier to prevent than to treat. Even minor deviations from the norm require skilled care. In the competence of the physician or audiologist to determine why after sleeping child coughs, and how to alleviate his condition.