Cough medicines for dry cough for children and syrups
Antitussives for dry cough for children
Palliative care in the treatment of pathologies accompanied by unproductive cough, have a cough medicines. Children they are recommended when the reflex acts occur at regular intervals that are adversely affecting the health of the baby.
They have a number of contraindications, the violation of which is dangerous for the health of the child. The decision on appointment is made only by the doctor, guided by the age and physiology of the small patient, the etiology of the disease, which is associated with occurrence of an unpleasant symptom.
Which drug to choose?
Modern pharmaceutical industry offers a wide range of products to suppress the activity of the cough center in the segment of the brain, reducing the sensitivity receptors of the respiratory mucosa. The sale comes a variety of forms: tablets, lozenges, powders, syrups, drops.
The basis for the division of antitussive medicines laid the medicinal composition (natural combo synthetic) and mechanism of action (peripheral, Central, mixed).
The list of direct influence
Their purpose is not always efficient therapeutic measure in connection with an increased risk of side effects. According to the method of interaction with the structural functional basis of the organism the drugs of this group klassificeret on opioid (narcotic) and non-opioid (non-narcotic).
Drugs similar to drugs, the major substance represented by derivatives of morphine: codeine, Ethylmorphine, dimemorfan. In Pediatrics they are used very rarely for particularly important reasons (pertussis infection, pleurisy), and only under medical supervision. They provoke violations such as insufficient bowel movements, drug dependence, euphoria.
Nuance! Duration of treatment determined by the physician individually, on average it takes 5-7 days to reach positive dynamics.
The most famous representatives:
- Pills «Codeine». Reduce the activity of the cough center, stimulate the opiate nerve endings in peripheral tissues, alter the sensitivity of perception of pain. The analgesic effect persists for up to 4 hours, cold up to 6 hours. Contraindications to the appointment serves children under one year of age, individual intolerance to components, toxic dyspepsia, diarrhea, bronchial asthma. Possible adverse reactions from the Central nervous system, cardiovascular system, digestive tract. A significant disadvantage is the development of tahiphylacsii (drug dependence), after therapy withdrawal.
- Suspension «Codipront». Reduces the excitability of the cough center, has anti-allergic and slight sedative effect. The therapeutic result occurs within half an hour, lasts for up to 12 hours. Effective in the treatment of unproductive cough associated with allergies, colds, infectious inflammation of the mucosa of the respiratory tract. Causes a number of adverse reactions, overdose profound syncope, hypotension. The list of contraindications includes children up to age 2 years.
Non-narcotic components to include butamirat, glaucine, dextromethorphan, pentoxyverine, oxeladin. They are not destabilisateur work of the respiratory center, has a softening and mestnoanesteziruyuschy effect.
Widespread in ENT practice are:
- «Pour». The drug of the diverse range of actions, shows anti-inflammatory activity, bronhodilatiruyuschego. Improves the quality of respiration and spirometry parameters, without reducing the airway resistance. Suitable for children of different age groups: 2 months prescribed drops, syrup from the age of three, pills with 7 years. Adverse reactions are extremely rare.
- Pills «Tusupreks». Possess mild expectorant and antitussive properties. In contrast to the «Codeine» do not inhibit respiratory center, do not cause addiction. Assign children older than one year in infectious and non-infectious cough of different etiology. Adverse reactions drowsiness, weakness, dyspeptic disorders.
- Syrup «The Pharmacy Was». The versatility of the medicinal fluid provides a versatile composition. It increases the threshold of perception receptors in the cough center, reducing the frequency and intensity of reflex acts. Activates the secretory function of the mucous membrane, changes fluidity of bronchial secretions, which facilitates its evacuation. Has antispasmodic and sedative effect. An overdose is dangerous allergic reaction, sleepiness, nausea. In Pediatrics is used to treat children from one year.
For reference! Concurrent use of antitussive medications with mucolytics can cause the stagnation of phlegm in the bronchi, which negatively affect the health of the child.
Antitussive drugs are adjuvant therapy. They normalize the General condition of the patient, reduce the severity of symptoms, accelerate the healing process.
Drugs of peripheral action
More popular in paediatrics, because the risk of side effects is minimal. Influencing afferent or efferent component of the cough center, does not affect the function of the respiratory system, do not cause drug addiction. They reduce stimulation of the CNS, alter the biological properties of the mucus, eliminate bronchospastic syndrome.
Drug efficacy and safety have proved the following cough medicines for children with dry cough:
- Pills «Libeksin». The therapeutic effect equal to “Codeine”, but unlike the drugs do not inhibit the process of respiration. The main component of prenoxdiazine blocks the afferent receptors of the cough reflex. Are active anti-inflammatory, a bronchodilator, an anesthetic. Eliminate reflex acts in acute and chronic forms of colds, pneumonia, bronchial. Dosage is calculated based on the age and weight of the child.
- Syrup Arterium «Bronchosan», «Bronhoton». Medications of vegetable origin on the basis of glaucine with similar mechanism of action. Suppress the cough reflex without dysfunction of the respiratory system. Cause expansion of bronchial tubes, stimulates mucociliary clearance, eliminate swelling of the mucous membranes. To a lesser extent pronounced antiseptic, sedative and antispasmodic effects. Children are allowed to apply with 3 years under conditions of the absence of contraindications (heart disease, thyroid problems, increased sensitivity to the components).
- Syrup «Levapren». Active substance – levodropropizine, reduces the sensitivity receptors of the respiratory tract. Used to soothe and soften unproductive cough in infectious and noninfectious forms of respiratory ways. Recommended for children after 2 years. Be used with caution in patients with renal insufficiency, disorders of liver function, hypersensitivity to the elements.
Tip! To enhance palliative care cough medicines, the child must provide two necessary conditions: abundant water and fresh cool air in the room.
When choosing medicines give preference to domestic producers. They are in no way inferior to foreign analogues, and are much cheaper.
With a list of drugs for children from one year can be found here.
Cough medicines for children under one year
In the first year of baby’s life it is desirable to limit the intake of any medicine that is connected with the risk of overdose.
Important! In infants and adults may develop physiological cough. Protective-adaptive mechanism aimed at cleansing the respiratory tract from foreign substances, residues of sputum. This is a natural reaction that does not require drug therapy, reflex acts stop as soon as the irritant will be eliminated.
The list of permitted pharmaceuticals to suppress the cough reflex in newborns is limited. Most often, the therapy includes the following medications:
- Drops «Pour». Non-narcotic Central action does not relate to the derivatives of opium. Improves the quality of the breathing, additionally has anti-inflammatory and bronchodilatory effect. Has a pleasant taste, so is well tolerated by young patients. In Pediatrics is used to treat a debilitating dry cough of different etiology in children 2 months and older.
- A Drop Of «Remens». The drug combined action increases the secretion pathological secretion and reduces its viscosity, promoting active purification of the tracheobronchial tree. Neutralizes unpleasant sensations in the throat, reduces the frequency and intensity of cough attacks. Assign children from 6 months in dry irritant cough, including on the background of infectious inflammatory pathologies of the upper and lower respiratory tract.
- Syrup «Pantus». Direct antitussive effect on the CNS. The main component is butamirat does not apply to drugs. Has properties expectorant, anti-inflammatory and bronhodilatiruyuschego. Sugar and lemon flavoring to improve palatability. Suitable for children from 6 months.
To enhance the therapeutic effect is often a part of cough medicines include support elements with antipyretic, antihistamine, antibacterial properties.
However, a wide variety of components complicates the choice of dosage and compatibility with other medicines that imposes restrictions on the use of combined drugs in Pediatrics.
Antitussive drugs are prescribed in extreme cases. The main objective of the dry cough in the initial stage is to activate the natural protective reaction. With this purpose it is necessary to wash the nose with saline, to offer more warm liquids to create a favorable climate in the room.