Cough syrup during pregnancy: what syrups can be used
What cough syrups can be used during pregnancy?
The condition of immune-depression – a natural protective reaction of an organism of future mother. The reduced resistance of the immune system increases the risk of infection pathogens. More than 47% of pregnant women identified violations of the functioning of upper and lower respiratory tract, which is accompanied by a cough.
Cough syrup during pregnancy recommended to use in diseases of ENT-organs, provoked by the irritation of the mucous membrane. The article presents the list of permissible suspensions during gestation, but which drug to include in the therapeutic regimen of the pregnant woman is determined by the doctor based on the patient’s history.
Cough as a protective reaction of the organism
The irritation manifests itself in involuntary forced vanities, called coughing. Jerky breaths ensure the elimination of foreign agents from laryngeal mucous secretions from the respiratory tract.
Unexpected cough occurs when the ingress of foreign bodies, dust and small particles in the throat or nasal cavity, long rough cough indicates a serious pathological disorders. To the oxygen can trigger chemical (chemicals, gases, cigarette smoke) and thermal (hot or cold steam, air) factors.
Depending on the nature of cough is of two types:
- Dry. Is a natural reflex of the body to the action of pathogenic microorganisms or potent allergens. The root causes of dry cough is the inflammation of the mucous membrane of the oral cavity or trachea, blood disease, tumor localization. Cough is no mucus, sputum.
- Wet. Its catalyst can be a dry cough. When producing a forced exhalation of mucus from the bronchi comes out, thus, there is a self-cleaning of the organism from sputum. Pathological the secret is generated for respiratory diseases, bronchial asthma, pneumonia.
The therapist assigns treatment based on the overall clinical picture, the nature and form of the development of pathology.
What cough syrups can be during pregnancy?
Threat to the health of the mother and the unborn child is a productive (wet) cough. When the forced exhalation, the abdominal muscles tense up, which leads to tone the uterus. Not arbitrary relaxation of the muscles of the body in the 1st trimester is threatened of spontaneous termination (miscarriage), and in the later stages – early labor.
For reference! Respiratory problems dry cough becomes wet by the end pathology.
Increased tone of the uterus impedes the natural flow of blood, and with it the nutrients necessary for the formation and development of the fetus. The lack of oxygen may provoke fetal hypoxia.
In most clinical cases, the effects of dry cough is high blood pressure, placental abruption.
Cough syrup for dry cough during pregnancy
In the treatment of respiratory diseases in pregnant predetermine the choice of pharmaceutical products soft action on the basis of natural components. In clinical cases when it is necessary to resort to more aggressive drug, therapy occurs in a hospital.
With extreme caution should you choose a medicinal syrup for 1 trimester of pregnancy when there is a bookmark and the formation of organs and systems of the fetus. The effects of the drug even in small doses can harm the unborn child.
The syrups from plant raw materials that do not affect the baby effect, is «Stodal». Homeopathic product provides bronholiticeski and expectorant effect, translates a dry cough in the soft wet.
Under the action of the active components are reduced by the need to uprated the vanities, liquefies the mucus, improving the fluidity of the secret, as a result, normal breathing process. The manufacturer stated that it is acceptable to use the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding according to the recommendations of the doctor.
Interesting! Tablets and syrup have the same composition of active ingredients, but the syrup more efficiently absorbed into the blood, the action of the drug occurs earlier.
On the 2nd and 3rd trimester of gestation to rationally make a choice in favor of the following medicinal liquids:
- «Pour». Drug or non-drug group on the basis of butamirat. Has anti-inflammatory effects, has antitussive and bronhorasshiratee effect, acts on the cough center in the medulla oblongata.
Prescribed for the cough of viral and allergic etiology during the period of rehabilitation after surgery, prior to bronchoscopy.
- «Libeksin». Refers to a group of stimulants of motor function of the respiratory tract. The drug is represented by the current component carbocisteine. It has immunomodulatory effects, promotes regeneration of the mucous membrane, normalizes the activity of the ciliated epithelium, reduces the viscosity of mucolytic secret.
2 hours after consumption reaches the maximum level in serum of lymph is excreted through the kidneys along with the metabolites. Receiving a suspension may trigger side effects: allergic rash, itching, redness, nausea, weakness, temporary loss of sensitivity of mucous membrane.
The drug contains lactose, so be wary prescribed to patients with Allergy to this antigen. Forbidden simultaneous reception «Libxine» with mucolytic and expectorant drugs.
- «Faliment». An antitussive for the treatment of respiratory diseases involving unproductive, irritating coughs. Active substance acetylaminonitropropoxybenzene actuates nerve receptors, relieves pain. The drug is characterized by antiseptic properties, it helps to suppress retching.
For reference! To the list of prohibited medications during pregnancy include syrups, which consists of the substance codeine.
- «Bronchicum». The syrup is present thyme extract, ethanol, purified water, glycerol. The drug is indicated as an expectorant, liquefies phlegm, facilitates its excretion, it stimulates the activity of epithelial tissue.
The product is effective in any type of cough at the initial stage of the disease and chronic form. Has antimicrobial, bronchodilator effect action. Contraindicated in diseases of the cardiovascular system, impairment of the functioning of the liver and kidneys.
Before using the medicinal suspensions consult a doctor, thoroughly read the manufacturer’s manual to minimize the risks of developing side effects.
Syrups from wet cough for 1, 2, 3 trimester of pregnancy
The choice of drug to treat wet cough predetermines the nature of its occurrence and associated symptoms. The medication aims to facilitate sputum discharge, the production of additional mucus while coughing.
Nuance! Thinning the syrup is recommended for use in those clinical cases where the mucous secret has already started to move away, but the mucus has a thick consistency.
Wet cough in pregnant effective the following medications:
- «Bromhexine». It is indicated for diseases of the respiratory tract with the formation of difficult to spit sputum. Synthetic substance stimulates secretion of mucous secretion by activating the ciliated epithelium. Almost completely absorbed after 20-30 minutes after ingestion and excreted by the kidneys as metabolites.
On the background of the drug may develop allergic manifestations, pain in the neck and head, disorders of the digestive system. When childbearing is assigned to 14 weeks in cases when use of the drug exceeds the risk to the health of the mother and fetus.
- «Marshmallow root». The product of vegetable origin on the basis of the active ingredient – the extract of the roots of marshmallow. Asparagine, pectin and starch envelop the mucous membranes, protecting from the action of irritants.
Herbal drug, has expectorant effect, it has a local anti-inflammatory effect. Indications for use are the diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract. At risk patients with diabetes, increased hypersensitivity to individual components.
- «Dr. Mom». Has a complex effect: it cleans the bronchi, relieves inflammation, helps eliminate phlegm. Suitable for long-term use. The composition contains more than 10 natural herbal ingredients: licorice extract, Basil, aloe, ginger, elecampane, turmeric. Patients with diabetes should take into account the fact that the presence in the composition of sugar. Pregnant is appointed on 5-10 ml 3 times a day, a course of 14-21 days.
- «Mucosolvan». Mucolytic expectorant with scent of wild berries, contains 5 ml of drug product, 30 mg of Ambroxol hydrochloride. Auxiliary components are hiatellidae, glycerol, benzoic acid, vanilla and strawberry flavor, purified water.
Important! Categorically contraindicated for use, «ACC», «Travis», «Grippers», «Codelac».
The medication used in the therapeutic scheme of a pregnant from the 2nd trimester for the treatment of pneumonia, acute bronchitis, bronchial asthma, diseases of respiratory ways with formation of viscous mucous secretion. The rate of application is 4-5 days.
Overdose vomiting, diarrhea, headache, indigestion. Analogues — drug «Ambroxol, Ambrobene», «Bronhorus».
How to take «Gerbion» during pregnancy, you can find here.
To treat cough in pregnant women is necessary when the first symptoms drugs based on plant components. The naturalness is not a reason to haphazardly apply the drug suspension.
The question of whether the use of certain cough syrup during pregnancy is determined by the physician taking into account pregnancy and the individual characteristics of the organism.