Cough without colds: causes in adults and children, with no other symptoms
What happens from coughing in addition to colds?
The coughing is not always caused by hypothermia or rhinovirus infections. There is a wide variety of endogenous and exogenous factors that activate the work of the cough center.
This reaction is protective and adaptive in nature or indicates a serious pathological disorder. To provide adequate patient care will require medical involvement to determine the etiology of causeless cough in adults and children, pick up the treatment scheme.
How and why cough?
This unconditioned reflex on irritation of the nerves along the respiratory tract (nasal cavity, paranasal sinuses, larynx, pharynx, tracheobronchial tree, pleura) and beyond (the ear canal, gastrointestinal tract, diaphragm, heart bags). Stereotypical reaction ensures the safety and cleansing of the respiratory tract from infectious agents and foreign substances.
The mechanism of development of cough acts begins with the entry of irritants through the mouth or nose. If foreign matter (fine dust, pieces of food, small items) jerky breaths are short-term in nature. Physiological cough does not require treatment, the seizures subside after the elimination of the pathogen.
The root cause of pathological cough acts of pathogenic microflora. Viruses and bacteria destabilisateur the work of the mucociliary apparatus, which is not able to evacuate produced an increased amount of bronchial secretions. Mucus gradually accumulates in the lungs, thereby stimulating receptors segment of the brain.
Cough is the common denominator for pathologies of different nature arise, therefore, therapy should be aimed at treating the disease that motivated the emergence of cough acts.
For reference! Close location of the cough and the vomiting center explains the formation of retching in the process of exhausting spasmodic cough.
When evaluating the forced exhalations focus on the amount of discharge and character of sputum, timbre and duration of attacks, time of occurrence and duration. To determine the medical schemes carry out the separation of dry cough (non-productive) and wet (the main indicator – the presence of pathological fluid).
How to determine type of cough, you can find here.
If you ignore unpleasant symptom, a cough of the acute phase becomes chronic (lasts more than 2 months), which delays the recovery process, increases the risk of developing serious complications.
Causes of cough without colds in adults
Irritating dry cough without cold symptoms delivers serious discomfort. The patient complains of pain in the chest and abdomen, discomfort in the throat, shortness of breath, lack of oxygen. Often his appearance correlate with the incubation period of the disease or disguised form, the negative impact of external factors.
What happens from dry cough?
The most common causes include the following deviations:
- Allergies. Occurs when contact with an allergen (pet dander, dust, plant spores, household facilities, medicines). Associated symptoms — tearing, redness and itching of the skin, sneezing, runny nose. Allergic cough worse in the morning. As soon as you determine and correct the source, the attacks cease. In the absence of therapeutic interventions, there is a risk of complications such as bronchial asthma, obstructive bronchitis.
- Whooping cough. Bacterial disease main feature of which paroxysmal spasmodic reflex acts. In early forms of infection manifested General malaise, increased body temperature, barking cough without expectoration. As the progression of pathology of the patient’s condition worsens, increasing the frequency and intensity of attacks. The person experiences lack of oxygen, as breaths come one after another. A characteristic feature of cough reflexes is the final convulsive exhale with a whistling sound (Repriza). At risk of infection include children under 3 years, elderly people.
- Side effect on pharmaceutical drugs. Cough is one of the manifestations of hypersensitivity to drug components. This result is characteristic of aspirin, ACE inhibitors, liquid for inhalation. In this situation it is necessary to reduce the dose or replace the drug.
- Psychosomatic factors. Human health depends on the internal well-being. The transformation of internal conflict, and then physical illness, in our case, the cough acts as a protective mechanism. To improve the health of the patient will help psychotherapeutic manipulations.
- Foreign object in the nose. A problem often experienced by children of preschool age. A foreign object could compromise the integrity of the mucosa, and through the wound surface to penetrate easily infection. Once the foreign body enters the respiratory tract, the patient experiences difficulty breathing, a cough, watery eyes, itching and pain in the nose, nasal bleeding.
Important! Other causes of cough in children without other symptoms correlate with the period of teething, measles, gastroesophageal reflux disease.
Dry barking cough occurs as a response to unfavourable domestic production conditions, sudden thermal changes, cigarette smoke. Newborns unproductive episodic reflex acts without other symptoms are the physiological norm. Thus cleansing the respiratory tract from mucus and accumulating dust.
Reason for wet cough
Often its occurrence is associated with the natural process of self-purification. The patient experiences severe pain in the projection of the chest, after clearing the General condition improves. However, the wet cough is not always preceded by a stage of recovery.
Forced exhalation with the formation of phlegm indicates a serious pathological disorders:
- TB. The cough reflexes have specific characteristics depending on the activity of acid-fast bacilli. Focal form is characterised by occasional bouts of cough without discomfort. Feature of miliary forms are intense and frequent jerky acts with the formation of bronchial secretions, worse after waking up. The first sign of tuberculosis – the presence of blood clots in pathological fluids.
- Pneumonia. The initial stage of inflammation accompanied by a dry and irritating cough that gradually migrates in the wet. The etiology of the pathogen and the localization of the lesion determine the nature of secreted. Expectorated sputum is odorless, light yellow to amber color. Alarming concern is the presence of blood in the fluid, which is associated with suppuration or chronic disabilities.
- Diseases of the upper respiratory tract (laryngitis, tracheitis, pharyngitis). Pathological disorders differ in the location of the inflammation, but share a common trait – cough. Even during the acute phase of forced exhalation become productive in the process clears his throat clear mucus. Accompanying symptoms: high body temperature, red throat, runny nose, stuffy nose, fever, General malaise.
- Bronchial carcinoma (lung cancer). Cancer there are four stages of development, and already during the first stage appear the cough reflexes. For pathology they are amplified, increasing the frequency and duration of attacks, blood clots appear. The patient experiences breathing difficulties, he is concerned about shortness of breath, discomfort when swallowing, pain in the chest.
- Abscess of the lung. The symptoms of inflammation of the lung tissue divided until a breakthrough purulent cavities in the bronchi and after. Since the disease of a man tormented by a dry irritating cough. As a result of the breakthrough of necrotic fluid out through forced breaths daily evacuated to 1000 ml of sputum. To differentiate the disease can the nature of the pathological secret: has a clear liquid upper layer and a viscous lower layer green.
Important! Strange cough occurs on the background of cardiovascular diseases, disorders of the digestive system, infection parasitic infestation, inflammation of the bronchial mucosa.
What happens from coughing in addition to colds? Reflex acts may be a result of Smoking. Systematic irritation of the esophagus and the bronchi provokes prolonged bouts of morning cough. During the day, the reflexes are less pronounced.
To correctly determine the cause of the cough acts under the power of a specialist, guided by laboratory data and physical examination. Omissions or incorrect treatment affect the health of the patient, increase the risk of serious complications, including death.