Coughing up vomiting in adult: causes of seizures, how to treat, treatment
What to do when coughing to vomiting in an adult?
The close proximity of the location of the cough and the vomiting center in the segment of the brain explains the appearance of nausea when coughing. Bronchospastic syndrome precede pathology of ENT-organs, allergies, infections and viruses, cancer and heart disease.
To correctly identify the cause of the irritant reflex act, to choose adequate treatment plan will require medical participation.
Why cough provokes a gag reflex?
Vomiting coughing often characterized by the child’s body, which explains the lack of development of the meninges. This symptom in an adult indicates a serious pathological disorder.
During intense bronchospasm, mucus accumulating in the projection of the airway, irritating the throat, causing involuntary, forceful expulsion of the stomach through the mouth. If stringy mucus are concentrated in the nasal cavity, it runs down the back of the throat, causing retching.
For reference! In character of sputum can determine the disease that prompted the formation of cough with an emetic reflexes. When flu and cold formed transparent mucus, with SARS, with green-yellow tint. Cancer or tuberculosis indicate blood clots in secreted, deep yellow characteristic of bronchial asthma, closer to brown – inflammation of the lungs.
Irritating cough has a negative impact on the whole body, accompanied by pain in the chest and throat, General malaise, weakness.
The intensity of seizures is enhanced in a horizontal position and at night. They can be so frequent and intense that the patient does not have time to catch my breath, as it is overtaken by a new urge to the forced exhalations.
This condition threatens the health, with severe bronchospasm, there is a risk of violation of the integrity of mucosa and blood vessels, increase in blood pressure, tachycardia.
The cause of cough to vomiting in adult
Cough, accompanied by vomiting, occurs in the background of the following pathologies:
- Whooping cough. An acute infectious disease associated with an inflammatory process in respiratory ways and paroxysmal barking cough. Spasmodic reflex is fixed in the segment of the brain, which leads to an increase in the frequency and intensity of attacks. To recognize the disease can be the nature of reflex acts: after whistling breath (Reprise) followed by cough tremors without stopping. The face seems to be swollen on the skin appear hemorrhage. In the absence of medical care there is a risk of suffocation, swelling of the vocal cords.
- Bronchitis. The cause of the inflammatory process in the bronchi is a viral or bacterial infection. Because of mucosal edema, the obstruction of the tracheobronchial tree, disturbed outflow secreted. The disease is accompanied by dull and irritating cough, provokes retching, which increases in the morning. Together with phlegm can come out of purulent admixture. If bronchitis is not treated there is a high probability that the disease from the acute form will go chronic.
- Pneumonia. The initial stage of the pathology is accompanied by blind forced exhalations, which, as the progression of inflammation increase. In parallel increases the amount of sputum produced during bronchospasm irritates receptors in the throat, causing vomiting.
- Tracheitis. The clinical picture identificeret by increased body temperature, General malaise, pain in the chest and throat, dry cough, which may cause a gag reflex. The cough acts aktiviziruyutsya mainly in the morning, when inhaled excessively cold or hot air, toxic elements, supercooling of the body.
- Colds (SARS, influenza, parainfluenza). The deviation is accompanied by severe bronchospastic syndrome, which can cause vomiting. Early in the disease there is a dry irritating cough with the subsequent transition to productive. Increases the amount of viscous pathological secretion, copious of which strongly irritates the larynx.
- TB. The initial symptom is a slight cough. If you run the disease, the poisoning of the body products of the inflammatory process in the pulmonary circulation develop congestion that precedes the appearance of spasmodic cough to vomit. Bronchospastic attacks intensify, cause discomfort throughout the day.
- Oncology. Malignant neoplasms of the lung, larynx and other organs irritate the cough center, provoking prolonged bouts of cough in adult to vomit. The patient is unable to cough, experiences a lack of oxygen. In jerky acts together with phlegm come out blood clots.
- Allergic reactions. Sensitive mucosa to the action of allergens reacts dry barking cough. For non-standard reactions peculiar nasal congestion, excessive tearing, redness and itching of the skin, conjunctivitis. If time does not limit the contact with an irritant, bouts of cough acts are amplified, affecting the vomiting center.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system. Intense spasm causes heart failure and its clinical forms. Due to stagnation of venous blood in the pulmonary circulation is the swelling of the mucous membranes, fluid from the blood vessels gets into the pulmonary alveoli, the lumen of the respiratory tract. These phenomena irritate the nerves of tussigenic zones, causing a gagging cough acts.
Important! To cough with the gag reflex include the infestation of the parasitic roundworm, bronchial asthma, chronic pathology of the respiratory tract, side effects from taking pharmaceuticals, diphtheria, localization of foreign objects in the throat.
The patient’s condition and further therapeutic result depends on how competently and timely rendered first aid.
To normalize the patient’s state of health during intense bouts of vomiting cough must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Keep window open, door for free access of air.
- To give to drink plenty of fluids. Better if it is warm milk with honey, tea with raspberry or lemon herbal decoction. They will help to relieve irritation and soften the mucous thin out the mucus, and improve its evacuation.
- Not to overfeed. If a person is hungry, give easily digestible foods in small portions.
- To ensure peace, to exclude any physical activity.
- Perform steam inhalation on the basis of medicinal plants with soothing and anti-inflammatory properties: mother and stepmother, eucalyptus, chamomile, pine needles. Contraindications for the procedure acts increased body temperature.
- To offer a complex of exercises of respiratory gymnastics.
Nuance! A beneficial effect on the body have immunomodulatory drugs, vitamin complexes.
Cough is not a disease but its symptoms, so treatment should be directed at the cause that provokes this symptom. To achieve positive dynamics of reduction of the recovery rate of used integrated circuit.
After conducting a differential diagnosis, determine the etiology destabilizing a doctor prescribes drugs from different pharmacological selectivity:
- Antitussives of Central and peripheral effects, which do not inhibit the activity of the respiratory system. Preference is given to the combined composition, or vegetable origin: «Pour», «Libeksin», «Codelac», «Bronchicum». They suppress the excitability of the cough center, reducing the frequency and intensity of the reflex acts, and transferred in a productive cough. Active analgesic and bronchodilator.
- Expectorants: «ACC», «Mukaltin», «Fluimucil», «Mokobane», «Acetin», «Stoptussin-Fito». Palliative care consists in the liquefaction of viscous pathological secretion, facilitate removal of tracheobronchial tree.
- Mucolytic: «Mucosolvan», «Bromhexine», «Ambroxol,» «marshmallow Root», «Flamed», «Helical», «Gerbion plantain». They alter the chemical and physical properties of sputum, normalizes the ratio of serous and mucous components, which reduces the viscosity of secreted, facilitate the evacuation of the bronchi.
- Antibacterial: «Sumamed», «Augmentin», «Zinnat», «Azithromycin», «Amoxicillin». Give preference to broad-spectrum antibiotics actions, which have a bactericidal effect on inflammation. Be wary appointed with the increased hypersensitivity to components of drug, hepatic dysfunction, pregnancy and lactation.
- Antihistamine: «Zodak», «Effective», «Catrinel», «Xyzal», «Ellerhoop». Medicinal ingredients inhibit the synthesis of the biogenic amine receptors, reduce the intensity of allergic reactions or profilaktirujut their appearance. Have anti-inflammatory and anti-itching properties, reduces the redness and inflammation of the soft tissues.
Drugs for the treatment of severe coughing until vomiting is selected taking into account the patient’s age, the characteristics of the course of pathology. Individually calculated dosage and the duration of the course.
For reference! Contraindicated simultaneous use of cough medicines and expectorants.
When the cough causes vomiting, requires a doctor’s participation for setting the correct diagnosis and choice of regimens. To reduce the likelihood of unpleasant symptom will help an active lifestyle, avoiding harmful habits, balanced diet, increased drinking regime, routine visit to the doctor every six months.