Dry mouth: causes what disease?
Sensation of dryness in the mouth caused by reduction or complete cessation of saliva is called xerostomia. This symptom is not a separate disease, but only one of the signs of disorders in the internal organs. To find out why there is a feeling of dry mouth, you need to pass medical inspection and examination by experts.
Usually constant thirst and dryness of the tongue, soft shells in the mouth is not the only symptom, additionally, there are other clinical manifestations, which can determine the causes of these symptoms.
Xerostomia is of three degrees.
- The first is a decrease in production of saliva, dries up during a conversation in the mouth, the saliva is frothy.
- In the second stage there is a strong dryness of the tongue and membranes in the mouth, cause decompensation of the salivary glands. The patient is difficult to talk, eat, and have to wash down the food to facilitate swallowing. Mucous membranes shiny, pale pink. Additionally there is a dryness in the nose, teeth affected by caries and inflamed periodontal tissues.
- The third degree is characterized by the development of stomatitis and glossitis, Halitov appear painful ulcers and erosion, peeling lips. Constantly dry mouth, the main causes the complete dysfunction of the salivary glands.
If xerostomia is observed for a long period of time increases the risk of inflammatory gum disease, pathogenic bacteria and fungi. Patients often suffer from viral infections, stomatitis, tonsillitis, sore throat.
- Treatment medical drugs.
- The most common cause is hot weather, eating salty, spicy, dry dishes.
- Disturbed breathing through the nose, sinusitis, a deviated cartilaginous septum, the growth of polyps, nasal congestion, allergic rhinitis.
- Dry mouth at night can occur due to snoring.
- The use of mouthwash with aggressive components.
- The sialadenitis – inflammation of salivary glands.
- Cystic fibrosis.
- Sialoliths – stones in the salivary ducts.
- Viral infections (influenza, mumps).
- Injury to the glands during the complicated removal of teeth.
- Dehydration of the body after high fever, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Chemo and radiation therapy.
- The consequences of surgical operations on the salivary glands. There is a constant thirst and dryness of the membranes of the mouth.
- Diseases of the nervous system.
- Age-related atrophy of the salivary glands.
- Autoimmune disease (syndrome Segner, rheumatoid arthritis, HIV, diffuse goiter, diabetes mellitus, multiple sclerosis).
In normal human during the day, produce up to 1.5 liters of saliva. Its main function is to protect the mucous membranes from drying out, teeth from decay. Saliva washes away small food residues, prevent growth of pathogenic microorganisms, neutralizes acids, facilitates chewing and swallowing food. Contains a special enzyme that breaks down carbohydrates during a meal.
When the first signs of xerostomia should be addressed to the therapist, who, after inspection and receipt of the results of clinical tests will be directed to a relevant specialist.
Additionally, dry mouth is accompanied by other symptoms, identify the causes what disease has brought about this condition will help the doctor.
- Inflammation of the salivary glands (sialadenitis) is accompanied by an increase in temperature to 39, pain in the parotid region, the formation of painful compression, xerostomia. With pressure on the gland secretes pus through the ducts.
- What else is dry mouth? Frequent urination, thirst, increased sharply or absent appetite, weakness, purulent lesions of the skin indicate the development of diabetes. In women, the dry sheath of the vagina, in men the foreskin becomes inflamed. There is a feeling of sand in eyes.
- Why spring is dry mouth, worsening skin condition, become brittle nails and hair, cracks in the corners of the mouth? This signs of vitamin deficiency. The body is experiencing an acute shortage of vitamins.
- The emergence of the world trade center, red border, desquamation of the lips. Symptoms of cheilitis.
- When glossitis there is a burning sensation, dryness, redness of the tongue. The surface becomes hard, itchy.
- White tongue, metallic taste and dry mouth, unpleasant smell, sores in the sky and gums: causes – candidiasis (thrush).
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or fever occur when poisoning, which can lead to dehydration. Dehydrated mouth, nausea, dizziness: causes – alcohol intoxication.
- In diseases of the digestive tract is observed heartburn, bloating, belching. Nausea and dry mouth, arching abdominal pain: causes – gastritis, duodenitis.
- The bitter taste, nausea, pain in upper quadrant right side, violation of the chair, dry tongue and mucous membranes of the mouth especially at night with pancreatitis, acute cholecystitis or inflammatory diseases of the liver.
- While Sjogren’s has dry mouth, eyes, skin. The crust formed in the nose, there is pain, itching in the vagina in women.
- In diseases of the thyroid gland appears yellow or white patches, itching and burning of the tongue, dry mouth, bitter taste in the mouth.
- In women during menopause occurs hormonal changes in the body. Appears dizziness, heart palpitation, throws hot, then cold, there is dryness in the mouth, vagina, eyes.
- Reception antihistamines, antifungals, antibiotics, causes a feeling of drying out. It’s a side effect from medication. Consult your physician about substitute medicines.
- Dry mouth in the morning, which appears only at night: causes – mouth breathing and snoring, elimination of pathologies in the nasal passages will restore normal hydration of mucous membranes.
- Lead to xerostomia can radiation therapy for the treatment of cancer of the head or neck. Lasts from two to six months.
- Dry mouth can cause Smoking, tobacco smoke reduces the production of saliva.
- Why under reduced pressure dry all in your mouth? Blood circulation, which negatively affects the work of all organs and glands. The patient has pain in the back, General weakness, malaise.
- Dry mouth can cause mouth rinses containing alcohol, the cause of the harmful component current, a feeling arises in the morning after brushing your teeth.
How to get rid of dry mouth?
To correct the xerostomia, you need to identify what cause led to dry mouth, which is constantly bothering you.
To help States apply lubrication oral vitamin a, which promotes hydration of the membranes and heals wounds and cracks. Will help rinsing solutions of pilocarpine, potassium iodide. In severe lesions of the salivary glands make novocaine blockade, electrophoresis, and vibratory. Cracked lips smeared with a moisturizing balm. You can use artificial saliva.
For hydration you should drink the natural water without gas in small doses. The absorption of candy, chewing chewing sugar-free gum stimulates the salivary glands. You should refrain from eating salty, sweet, dry foods, alcohol and drinks containing caffeine.
Pay special attention to oral hygiene, brush should be soft, so as not to injure the mucous membranes. Choose the right toothpaste, mouthwash.
You cannot start the treatment of the disease, it may lead to complete or partial atrophy of the salivary glands. Do not self-medicate, with the attendant symptoms should undergo medical treatment under a doctor’s care.