Swollen tongue: causes and treatment
It’s safe to say that language is an integral part of a person, because it helps to speak and taste food, but when the organ is markedly swollen and sore, no longer able to perform its functions. In addition, if he is in a fevered state for a long period, the causes can be very severe pathologies such as down’s syndrome or malignancy, but is often diagnosed normal allergies, mechanical trauma, or infection.
It should be noted that language is a map of the body and if it is swollen, it can’t happen without a reason, for example, when the body swelling in a matter of minutes, after meals or medications, an Allergy or a symptom of anaphylactic shock and in this case you will need emergency treatment. In addition, there are many factors that can cause this symptom and know to be prepared for all possible complications, but in any case you will need to visit a doctor, because only he can correct diagnosis and to appoint therapy.
When there is swelling of the tongue, then there are other symptoms, which can more accurately diagnose the underlying disease. For this reason, during the medical examination it would be important to tell about all related pathological processes, such as:
- Abdominal discomfort (stabbing or aching pain);
- Cough (dry or with sputum);
- Rhinitis (runny nose);
- A slight enlargement of the thyroid gland;
- Swelling (especially in the legs);
In addition, you need to pay your attention to these less obvious symptoms, such as:
- Reduced sensitivity of taste buds;
- More dark color language;
- Pain in the oral cavity.
Swelling of the entire tongue may be accompanied by symptoms characteristic of hypothyroidism, namely:
- Constant tiredness even after sleep;
- Increasing body fat;
- Strong hair loss;
- Depression condition;
- Disruptions in the menstrual cycle.
There are more serious symptoms, detection of which is necessary to address urgently to the doctor to prevent anaphylaxis and they are:
- Blue lips and fingernails;
- Loss of consciousness or lack of response to external stimuli;
- Bad cough with discharge of blood;
- Pain when swallowing;
- Swelling of the face;
- Constant mood swings;
- Itching in the mouth or throat;
- Frequent vomiting;
- The lack of air.
Such symptoms cannot be ignored, and swelling of the tongue in this case is just a secondary symptom of a more serious illness.
Causes of symptoms
Based on this symptoms, swelling of the tongue causes may have the following:
- Allergy caused by food or medication, is one of the most common reasons characteristic of this disease and it is accompanied by a swollen tongue and throat, shortness of breath, dizziness, and rash, urticaria and abdominal discomfort;
- An insect bite. Thus introduced into the body in a toxin to which most people are intolerance and similar symptoms with an allergic reaction, such as swelling of the tongue;
- Injury due to mechanical or thermal effects, are often the reason why the tongue is swollen and they are accompanied by inflammation and acute pain, especially during a meal;
- The infection in the microcrack in the language, for example, syphilis, candidiasis or herpes.
There are more serious illness that can cause swollen tongue and these include such pathologies as:
- Anaphylactic shock, caused by an allergic reaction due to foods, medicines or insect bites;
- Violated the metabolism;
- Malignancy in the oral cavity;
- Hormonal disruptions, such as hypothyroidism or acromegaly;
- Down Syndrome.
When swollen, the language must first be sent to the hospital to find out why it happened and then the doctor will be able to tell you what to do based on the results of the survey, but until then you can ease the condition at home using traditional medicine.
If the appeared symptoms of life-threatening you should immediately call an ambulance and wait for that suffocation or swelling of the face subsides itself, because it can lead to death.
Treatment at home
If the reason why the tongue swells were not so dangerous or to the doctor’s visit you need to wait a few days, you can use folk medicine to treat inflammation and reduce the swelling.
It is recommended to apply such proven techniques as:
- To treat a swollen tongue due to an insect bite, can be applied to the affected area a piece of ice and do a mouth rinse with chilled soda solution. For this is enough for a glass of water put 1 tablespoon of ingredient and mix well. In addition, good help from allergic manifestations «Suprastin» and «Pain»;
- If the swelling is a result of the injury, then to treat you to ice and to monitor the cleanliness of the oral cavity, for this purpose, will not prevent after a meal gargle with decoction of herbs (chamomile, lemon balm, calendula). It can be prepared by taking a tablespoon of chopped ingredient to a pint of water and put to boil for 10-15 minutes.
If the problem is an allergic reaction, it should be remembered that the treatment should be first to refuse the food or the drug that caused it and start taking anti-allergic medications. In this case, the symptoms will soon go away by itself.
As for other reasons, then you need to carefully remember all the concomitant symptoms, and then tell your doctor about them at the reception. Such information will greatly simplify the work of the doctor and speed up treatment.