Viscid saliva in mouth: causes and treatment, why it is thick and foamy
Human saliva consists of water, more than 98%. The remaining part consists of various salts, trace elements, enzymes and protein compounds. Enzymes such as amylase and maltase, provide the breakdown of complex sugars immediately after receipt of food. Lysozyme has a bacterial properties and prevents the growth of bacteria. Why sometimes spit looks like foam? Due to the presence of mucin.
It forms a food ball and enveloped him. Through this process the food easily swallowed and pushed in the esophagus. Thus, the thick saliva is a necessary condition for a successful start to the digestive process.
For the amount of secreted saliva is responsible of the autonomic division of the nervous system, so during sleep or anesthesia, its production is markedly reduced, and when exposed to the smell or taste increases.
The reasons why the saliva becomes thick and excessive white, are diverse. They are associated with the influence of different stimuli present in the oral cavity, and also with the activation of the sympathetic nervous system. The treatment will greatly depend on the underlying disease.
Thick saliva is not a single symptom, her appearance is often accompanied by other symptoms. Depending on their combination can determine the underlying disease.
Causes frothy saliva may be:
Candidiasis in the throat may be felt a metallic taste on the tongue, difficulty swallowing food, a lump in the esophagus when eating, itching and burning of the surface of the oral cavity.
There are other diseases that cause changes in salivation (diabetes, anemia, mumps, neurosciences, etc.).
Sometimes saliva thickens and foams due to hormonal changes. In this case, treatment is not required. This condition is temporary and normal salivation will be restored immediately after the stabilization of hormonal levels.
When you need to find out why the patient’s mouth saliva, the doctor performs a clinical interview, examination, and gives direction to the blood and urine tests. After the diagnosis and determine the causes of thick saliva, the doctor will determine the treatment tactics.
Need a comprehensive approach to the problem. Complete elimination of symptoms is possible only after the disease is cured provoking him (candidiasis, periodontitis, tonsillitis, etc.)
Symptomatic treatment is to restore a sufficient level of humidity in the oral cavity. To do this, use:
- gargle decoction of anti-inflammatory herbs and a solution of baking soda (1 tsp in 2 cups of water);
- the use of helium substitutes, such as Oralbalance or Bioxtra. They are available in the form of a spray and eliminate the dry mouth immediately after spraying, and also possess antibacterial effect, eliminating bad breath;
- inhalation of steam and humidifiers;
- mucolytics medication drugs enhancing salivation and thinning it (Acetylcysteine, Bromelain, Papain, Papaya‐digestive tract).
Daily observance of the following recommendations will help to avoid the formation of thick saliva:
- to increase the amount of fluid to add ice and the juice of the papaya, it contains the enzyme papain, which thins the saliva;
- completely abandon cigarettes, alcohol, soda, coffee;
- to limit in the diet of dairy beverages;
- do not use for mouthwash products containing alcohol.
Regardless of why stands out viscous and thick saliva, improve the condition will help rinse your mouth with vegetable oil (1 tbsp), use it in food. The juice of papaya, pineapple, citrus fruits before a meal dilutes the saliva and increases its separation. Also it is recommended to use sugar-free gum and pills based on fruit juices.
These recommendations are relevant not only for prevention, they can be used for treatment in the complex therapy.