Allergic to metal: why does it occur and how is it treated?
Hello, dear guests, who have come to us for the first time, and regular readers! Women love to adorn themselves with, but, unfortunately, to wear gold and other precious metals can not afford each. So, increasingly, we prefer affordable jewelry.
Did you know that metal Allergy often by just the jewelry, especially low quality? Why our body reacts negatively to the metals? How to treat such hypersensitivity? The answers lie in the article.
Why develop an intolerance to metals?
To the question: why the body can react adversely to metals, it is possible to answer so: after prolonged contact of the epidermis with these substances, the ions begin to enter the body and influence him. the composition of the cells.
Because of this cellular structure is changing, there are specific proteins that our immune system reacts to as a threat. This is the main reason.
By the way, the people who live in areas with polluted environment, metal intolerance occurs more frequently than those who are fortunate enough to live in an ecologically clean settlements.
A less common cause is an individual swervedriver to certain substances in the metal products.
What metal is often a cause of allergies?
Are you curious about what metal causes a negative reaction more often? This Nickel is the strongest metal allergen. It is highly oxidized, instantly reacts with oxygen and water, literally eats into the skin. Alloys of Nickel are found in:
- cheap costume jewelry;
- accessories such as wristwatches and the like;
- the buckles on the straps;
Allergies suffering from metals, are forced to abandon all metal products except those made from precious metals. In some cases this is the only way to get rid of the disease.
Symptoms of metal intolerance
As a rule, the symptoms described above disease appear quickly, namely within two days after contact with an irritant. Heavy they are, if allergies continues to contact with the stimulus, despite deteriorating.
Metal intolerance shows itself in the first place, a rash on the skin. Recognize it it is possible on such signs:
- red rash, resembling hives, which, bursting, turn into wet ulcers, resembling a burn (shown on photo);
- strongest itching rash in the affected areas (rashes only appear in those places, has interacted with the oxidizing metal);
- the swelling and redness;
- temperature rise;
- nausea, weakness, irritability.
Even if you have all of these symptoms, it is unnecessary to jump to conclusions. It is better to consult an allergist, who performed an analysis for metals and confirm or refute the diagnosis.
After confirmation of the diagnosis of allergies to learn comfortably and to live a full life with his disorder by avoiding irritants. For this you need to be able to detect dangerous metal products.
How to determine whether the dangerous metal?
Metal allergies react mainly in alloys of metals that are oxidized. To understand, the product is oxidized or not, can easily, hold it in your mouth.
If the tongue starts to sting and there will be unpleasant sour taste, then the product is oxidized.
Have hypersensitive almost never have reactions to gold and silver. Also safe for them is medical grade or «medical steel» in common.
Manufacturers of jewelry produce special collections for hypersensitive people. These decorations are labeled as «hypoallergenic.»
Therapy intolerance against metal
With the appearance of acute symptoms treatment anti-allergic drugs (side effects of the drug, Cethrin, claritin, Aerius and others) and corticosteroids. The course lasts at least a week. During this time, the inflammation on the skin needs time to heal.
In addition to the drugs for oral administration, can be administered the drugs for external use, for example, antihistamines-antiseptic and relieves itching ointments, creams, gels: Lokoid, Elokom, Advantan, etc.
In addition to drug treatment, metal allergies will help these guidelines:
National anti-allergic medicine
How to treat hypersensitivity to metals is telling us traditional medicine? Listed below are the most effective folk remedies with which you can quickly get rid of an allergic rash triggered by contact with metals:
- a compress of diluted Apple juice before going to bed apply it on the affected area;
- Apple juice can be replaced with cucumber, using it undiluted;
- compress from a decoction of St. John’s wort or oak bark will quickly heal skin blemishes;
- sour cream and butter to eliminate itching and soften the skin in areas that have flakes;
- fresh potato juice has powerful antihistamine and wound healing properties.
To accelerate the treatment will help the right diet. Nickel, which was mentioned in the beginning of the article, can enter the body not only through the epidermis, but also in a natural way together with food products includes. Want to know what foods you can’t eat metal allergies?
A proper diet for allergies with sensitivity to Nickel
In the human diet with high sensitivity to metals should not be: herring, mushrooms, onions, spinach, zucchini, beans, tomatoes, pears, nuts and raisins, canned (just like store-bought and homemade).
The dishes in the house, too, can become an irritant if it is present in the Nickel. Replace it with a more modern non-stick ceramic coating.
Now you know about metal hypersensitivity all! If you liked the article, share it via social networks with friends and subscribe website where you are now. Up to new meetings!
The author: Elena Smirnova (dermatologist)