Dexamethasone in urticaria: reviews and usage instructions
Hello, dear readers. Unfortunately, from a disease no one is immune and sometimes it happens that the disease is very severe.
In such a situation, the patient hormonal medication which can cure the disease in the shortest possible time. Such drugs include Dexamethasone.
He had a good performance in the fight against urticaria. And what is its effect? Are there any side effects? How is it taken? Let us analyze in detail these issues.
The description of the drug
This means the system’s actions should be attributed to the corticosteroids.
This is a very serious drug, like other hormonal and if it is wrong to use, you can cause irreparable harm to the body.
Dexamethasone binds certain biologically active substances that produces the pituitary gland, has beneficial effects on the Central nervous system and is involved in hematopoiesis.
In the end, it is now applicable to the entire body.
The effect of the drug
Dexamethasone in urticaria prescribed for acute reactions, when the person has a tendency to anaphylactic shock and angioedema edema.
It almost instantly blocks the release of histamine, which leads to improved overall health. In addition, it improves functionality of the liver, and she, in turn, begins to clean the body from allergens, triggering a strong reaction.
It has on the body’s anti-inflammatory effect, reduces itching, burning and redness of the skin.
Produced product in the following form:
- Tablets of 50 and 100 pieces with a dosage of 0.5 mg;
- Of solution for injections;
- Eye drops;
- Suspension for eyes.
If anaphylactic shock is an injection of dexamethasone. If you don’t have it handy, then call an ambulance. Further treatment is the pill.
How to apply?
Before using dexamethasone should carefully study the instructions for use. A different form is used in different ways.
Dexamethasone in pill form
- If the patient is prescribed a small dose of medication, it should take once a day (in the morning);
- For an adult is prescribed 2-3 mg per day;
- After you notice improvement, the dosage should be reduced;
- In severe cases of acute urticaria can increase daily intake to 4-6 mg;
- After the disappearance of the symptoms of the disease you can drink a few days medicine for prophylaxis 0.5 – 1 mg per day;
- Take the medicine during a meal or immediately after it;
- The daily rate should be divided into several doses;
- Children are prescribed 250 mg/2 mg max and necessarily divided into 4 admission.
Suspension for eyes
Very often hives causes severe itching in the eyes, irritation and burning. In this case, can be assigned to the dexamethasone to the suspension to the eye. In children 6 to 12 years the dosage should be 1 drop every 12 hours. The course of treatment is a week.
Adults and children over 12 years: 1-2 drops every 6 hours, but no more than 2 days and only in acute urticaria.
Solution for injection
It may enter in different ways: intravenously, drip or intramuscularly, but the dosage is always adapted individually (maximum 80 mg substance).
In the case of acute forms of urticaria injections to make not more than 4 days, then transferred to pills. In rare cases, the daily rate may be increased, but only after the advice of a doctor.
If anaphylactic shock in a child or adult prescribe a single dose of 20 mg. the patient is Then continuous infusion throughout the day with the rate of 3 mg per kilogram of body weight. It is also possible a single intravenous injection of 3 mg / kg.
Note that the drug has a prolonged effect, resulting in therapeutic effect persists for a long time – up to 4 weeks.
Dexamethasone has a lot of contraindications:
- Psychosis, in the stage of exacerbation;
- Intolerance or hypersensitivity to the drug;
- The postoperative period after undergoing anastomosis of the intestine;
- At pathologies of the endocrine system and infectious disorders;
- Parasitic infestation;
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- Liver failure;
- Ulcer of the gastrointestinal tract and other.
Dexamethasone is prescribed only by prescription, but the patients it has a high efficiency. However, after its use there can be side effects.
Especially not to take the drug together with alcohol because there is a risk of severe complications.
Store need dexamethasone at room temperature for more than 2 years. Opened vial with an injection or suspension should be used within 1 month. More keep and use it.
So, how do you get dexamethasone is a very good product with a strong and long-lasting effect, however, due to multiple contraindications and side effects it shall appoint only the doctor and the pharmacy sold only by prescription. Be healthy!
Author: Anna Derbeneva (dermatologist)