Do I need to use protection during menopause: pros and cons
The onset of menopause in women in most cases accounts for 45-55 years. Usually when a woman reaches a certain height in life and begins to live for himself. Thanks to cosmetic products a woman after menopause can feel young and desirable, and the sex continues to occupy an important place in life. After menopause there is no possibility to give birth alone. But many women are interested in this point: you need protection at menopause and how to do it right?
What happens in the female body after menopause?
With the onset of menopause in a woman’s life changes are taking place in separate areas of the brain that are responsible for the balance of sex hormones in the blood. The level of male hormones (progesterone) remains unchanged, while the production of female hormones (estrogens) decreases gradually. This hormonal imbalance leads to significant restructuring in the female body. A woman rapidly gaining weight and can feel such manifestations of menopause:
- frequent the tides;
- excessive sweating;
- sleep disorders;
- mood swings;
- decreased libido;
- dryness of the genital organs;
- discomfort during intercourse and sometimes pain.
The severity of symptoms of menopause every woman may vary. There are women who do not feel the onset of menopause, while others had to experience such strong symptoms that they cannot live a normal life.
Why do I need contraception at the menopause?
With the onset of menopause, the lower estrogen level, but the process is continuous. Stops maturation of oocytes. Hormonal changes in the female body affect the menstrual cycle in different ways. In most cases, periods become less abundant and long, and gradually ceased. But it also happens that menstruation stops suddenly. Many women think menopause, and you can not be protected during it.
When the menopause has just begun, the egg will still be produced for some time by the ovaries, but the menstrual cycle becomes irregular, it is difficult to determine the period of ovulation. During this period, the woman not only to conceive but also to carry and give birth to a healthy baby, but the risk of complications and the likelihood of genetic abnormalities in a child is quite high.
Abortion menopause is not the best solution in an unplanned pregnancy. High probability of damage to internal genital organs during an abortion due to the difficulty of cervical dilatation. Such manipulation can cause diseases in gynecology, disorders of the endocrine system and even cancer.
Birth control oral contraceptives not only help to protect from unwanted pregnancy during menopause, but also normalize hormonal balance. There is estrogen which allows to reduce severe manifestations of menopause.
Assign oral contraceptives during menopause can be a doctor, and this is done individually. Those contraceptives that are suitable for young girls, with menopause is absolutely contraindicated. Progestin oral contraceptives in low doses acting for a long time. They reduce negative symptoms of menopause, prevent the development of the malignant process, resolve the problem of hair loss.
If at the time of contraception there are some strange symptoms, you should immediately contact your doctor.
In some cases, hormonal contraceptives contraindicated?
Independently start to use condoms to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancy, it is impossible. Only a doctor can choose the best option of contraception at menopause, appointing examination. It is important to understand that that ideal friend or colleague, can cause only harm to the body.
Hormonal contraceptives are contraindicated if the woman:
- Smoke. By ingestion of nicotine into the body constricts blood vessels and slows down blood circulation. There is a risk of thrombosis and failure of the heart and blood vessels.
- Overweight. When using drugs with hormones can significantly increase the weight.
- Suffered a stroke or heart attack, there are signs of hepatic insufficiency, thrombosis. Disease can worsen, possible complications.
- Has diabetes (insulin dependent). Vessels are very fragile and can not withstand the additional load.
What other contraception is possible?
In cases when hormonal contraceptives are contraindicated, your doctor may choose one of the contraception methods:
- Abstinence from sex during ovulation. This method though is the place to be, but during menopause it is not considered reliable, because in this period my period is irregular or does not, making it difficult to determine the start of ovulation.
- Sterilization. This method involves the ligation of the fallopian tubes during the operation. The process is irreversible, then the woman will become infertile permanently. No sterilization is performed with diabetes, some heart diseases, obesity, epilepsy. Even if it is carried out sterilization, the risk of getting a sexually transmitted infection remains.
- Intrauterine contraceptives. Insertion of intrauterine device is a fairly effective method of protection against unwanted pregnancy. If women were protected by this method in youth, with the onset of menopause she needs to find another method of contraception.
- Barrier contraceptives. It’s condoms, sponges, caps, diaphragms. The most popular and effective means of barrier contraception are condoms not only protects against unwanted pregnancy but also from sexually transmitted infections.
- The morning-after pill. Postinor and its analogs in the menopause is contraindicated due to the high content of hormones. The endocrine system of the women will be ruined if this amount of hormones into the blood.
- Chemical contraceptives. It is a variety of creams, foams, gels, candles. In such formulations contains a component that acts destructively on the outer shell of the sperm or lowers their activity. As a result, sperm cannot penetrate the shell of an egg. Abused vaginal candles is not recommended in order not to violate the microflora of the internal reproductive organs during menopause.
It can be concluded that to protect themselves during menopause is necessary, especially because of the ways to do it a lot. And effective protection will choose a gynecologist, he will tell how to protect themselves during menopause. Hormonal contraceptives not only help to prevent unwanted conception, but also to improve the General condition in menopause.