Dryness of the mucous membranes of the body: causes and treatment
Why there is a dryness in the mucous membranes and how to treat it?
Dryness of the mucous membranes of the body – unpleasant phenomenon, which often remains unnoticed, but in vain. This symptom is a signal your body on the occurrence of a particular problem to be overcome. However, in fairness, it should be said that the dryness may occur due to unfavourable climatic conditions and other improper actions of the same person.
But whatever it is, this phenomenon can greatly complicate a person’s life, causing constant discomfort. Next, let’s talk about the dryness of the mucous membranes of the body, its causes and treatments.
Causes of dry mucous membranes
Perhaps, almost all of us have met with this phenomenon — dry mucous membranes. On top of that it is also the most common complaint we hear doctors.
Most often, this condition occurs when colds, SARS, acute respiratory infections etc.
Just remember as sore throat and congestion in the nose is added to this terrible dryness, as if inside formed a desert.
However, this is not the only cause of this phenomenon. Because in our body everything is connected, then the cause may be quite unexpected, as it seems to us, but perfectly logical according to our body.
Next, consider why there is dryness of the mucous membranes in the mouth and nose.
The medical term for this rejection xerostomia is defined as dry mucous membranes of the oral cavity by reducing or stopping the functioning of the glands that produce saliva.
Help. If the phenomenon is chronic, the patient is difficult to talk, eat, taste that turns ordinary everyday things into hard labor.
Dry oral mucosa is characterized by the following features:
- a strong feeling of thirst;
- the feeling of «stickiness» in the mouth;
- the feeling of drying not only in the mouth but in the throat;
- itching and burning, especially in the language;
- cracks on lips and corners of the mouth;
- redness and dryness of the tongue, the appearance of roughness;
The mucous membrane of the mouth primarily reflects the development of various pathologies and failures of many systems.
Therefore, further schematically shows the list of reasons causing this phenomenon. Due to the characteristics of the organism they can be associated with illnesses and to be a consequence of the actions of the person.
|Drying factors not associated with diseases||Pathology, a symptom which may be this phenomenon|
|Water consumption in small amounts, especially in the hot season, as well as in the use of selenaselena food||Diseases of the salivary glands (parotitis, the disease Mikulich, sialoliths), characterized by the violation of the formation of saliva, even until the complete cessation|
|The use of the drugs side effect which is dry mouth||Infectious disease (flu, laryngitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis, etc.) – this phenomenon is growing due to the lack of water in the body due to high temperature, sweating|
|The mouth breathing (due to the inability to breathe through the nose due to polyps, curvature of the nasal septum, etc.)||Systemic disease (Sjogren disease, cystic fibrosis, systemic scleroderma)|
|Rinse the mouth for no reason||Tumor formation in the oral cavity often affects salivary glands (parotid and submandibular)|
|Smoking||Endocrine diseases (hyperthyroidism, diabetes)|
|Alcohol intoxication||Anaemia (shortage of iron causes not only dry mouth, but the noise in the ears, dizziness, pale skin)|
|Menopause||Dehydration due to bleeding, burns, high body temperature, vomiting, diarrhoea|
In addition to the above factors, it is also possible to allocate such state, causing the development of such condition:
- A lack of vitamin A.
- Injury to the salivary glands.
- Damage to the different nature of the nerves (facial and glossopharyngeal).
- Strong emotional load (anxiety, stress).
Help. The feeling of constant dryness in the mouth can cause the development of various pathologies of the gums (periodontitis, parodontosis, gingivitis).
A dry nose
Dryness of the mucous walls of the nose makes breathing difficult and prevents them from fulfilling their primary purpose: to filter, warm and moisten inhaled air before it reaches the lungs.
Hence, this phenomenon causes almost 100% chance to catch any infection by airborne droplets, since the epithelium of the mucous membrane in this situation is unable to hold pathogenic microorganisms.
Dryness in the nose is characterized by the following symptoms:
- difficulty breathing;
- cracked skin on the nostrils;
- burning sensation and formation of dry crusts in the nose;
- the deterioration of the sense of smell;
As for the factors in the development of dryness in the nasal cavity, they can be absolutely diverse. Frequently occurring are the following:
- Climate – cold winter and too hot summer with low humidity – the real tests for the respiratory system.
- Incorrect the climate of the room – this problem can provoke dry air in the home, especially if it has air conditioning.
- Harmful working conditions, chemicals, building materials, or the constant presence of dust have a negative impact on the nasal mucosa and respiratory system. Therefore, the respirator in this situation – it is a prerequisite.
- Prolonged use of medicines – excessive use of nasal vasoconstrictor drops, especially if you exceed the dosage causes the formation of drying in the nose. In addition to local medicines this phenomenon can cause and medications systemic exposure: hormonal and antihistamine.
- Pathological conditions — atrophic and hypertrophic rhinitis, rhinoscleroma, ?, Sjogren disease and diabetes.
- A stressful situation and the weak protective functions of the body – on the background of frequent or constant emotional overload can develop this condition.
- Damage to the walls of the nasal passages – mechanical impact, burns, heat exposure.
In addition to trigger abnormalities allergic reactions to different kinds of stimuli (pollen, dust, animal dander) and excessive cleanliness of the nasal cavity (endless nose blowing and flushing for no apparent reason).
Help. Dryness can appear in people of old age (thinning of the mucosa) and in pregnant women (hormonal changes).
Treatment of dry mucous membranes
First of all, in this situation, treatment should start with neutralizing the root cause of this deviation.
Help. At pathologies of the respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract, diabetes should seek appropriate medical care.
Since this phenomenon may be a symptom of many systemic pathologies, and may be the result of the impact of external factors, people determine it is not.
Thus, if possible, in the shortest time possible it is better to consult the doctor where you will receive full advice and a scheme of action in each case.
Treatment of dry mouth
Treatment resulting dry mouth is always carried out comprehensively, under the guidance of a physician and includes the following items that are mandatory for the patient:
- treatment of the underlying disease (if any);
- a complete rejection of bad habits (Smoking, alcohol);
- if the reason is intake of certain drugs, the doctor may either decrease the dose or choose a different tool;
- to reduce the consumption of selenaselena food;
- consume sufficient amounts of fluids;
- means to avoid alcohol-based mouthwash;
- to reduce the irritation will help peach, apricot, sunflower oil and honey of an application;
- use medications that replace saliva (at the discretion of the specialist).
In addition, it is necessary to maintain certain climatic conditions in the building: temperature and humidity. For this you need to often perform wet cleaning and ventilation of premises. Also with humidification of the room will help special devices.
Help. Seasoning food and hot peppers also helps to activate salivation, but here the main thing not to overdo it, to avoid problems with the digestive system.
Treatment of dryness in the nose
The choice of therapeutic measures in many respects depends on development factors of dryness. Selecting a set of the most effective drugs only a doctor.
However, the mainstay of treatment of this problem will always consist of local symptomatic treatment to hydrate the mucous membrane, reduce swelling and restore breathing.
To eliminate such condition it is necessary to perform the following activities:
- Eliminate predisposing factors – increase the humidity in the house (with the help of humidifiers or wet towels and water containers);
- Drinking regime is to consume more water, herbal teas, rose hips, tea.
- The use of drugs that prevent dryness – good with one of these drops and sprays of sea water («Akvamaris», «Humer», «saline»), and ointments («Pinosol», «scars»).
- Inhalation to alleviate dryness it is possible if to do inhalations with essential oils (sage, peppermint, eucalyptus) or herbal teas (calendula, chamomile).
- Application solutions – you can dig sea-buckthorn, olive, and cotton or gauze turundy (pre-impregnated) to lubricate the nasal passages.
The above measures will help to ease the human condition, yet will be treated the main factor (in that case, if dryness is a symptom of the disease).
This problem can occur and disappear by itself. However, if the dryness hurts you constantly or occurs to the system frequency, it is necessary to pay attention to it.
A lot of time visiting the doctor and treating the problem itself may not take, but you will get rid of discomfort, significantly improving the quality of life.