Ethinyl estradiol — what is this hormone, side effects
What is it?
To understand what this hormone is, it is necessary to understand the impact of ethinyl estradiol on the body.
This is a synthetic analogue of estradiol, aimed at filling the deficit and normalization of metabolic processes in the body. Ethinyl estradiol causes thickening of the endometrium – the inner layer of the uterus. This happens due to the impact of the special receptors which are responsible for the interaction with estrogen. In addition, this substance influences the formation of secondary sexual characteristics, if there was a delay in their development.
Of the common effects are:
- Weak anabolic action. The hormone affects the metabolism in the body. As a result, the processes of formation and renewal of tissues prevail over destruction.
- Effect on lipid composition. Due to its anti-atherogenic action of ethinyl estradiol reduces the amount of cholesterol. And decreases the content of hazardous fractions, and useful increases.
- Effect on insulin sensitivity. Under the influence of the hormone increases sensitivity to insulin. This leads to faster utilization of carbohydrates.
- Effects on bone tissue. The lack of estradiol reduces calcium in the bones. When filling the gap between the supply of trace elements is restored. As a result, the risk of osteoporosis is much lower.
- A delay of sodium and water in the body. Large doses of ethinyl estradiol affect renal tubules. So sodium and water are excreted from the body in smaller amounts.
- The effect on the male body. When injected female hormones to males decreases the number of active sperm. This leads to changes in the testes atrophic nature. The content of androgens is reduced.
Indications for use
This hormonal drug is prescribed in the following cases:
- reduced functional level of the ovaries;
- impaired development of secondary sexual characteristics;
- hypogonadism female type;
- acquired deficiency of estrogen;
- hormonal disorders on the background of the onset of menopause, including tumors of the breast;
- the menstrual cycle;
- men may use in androgen-dependent prostate cancer.
Contraindications to the use of
Ethinyl estradiol is contraindicated in several conditions:
- tumors developed as a result of the effects of estrogen, including cancer of the breast;
- unspecified vaginal bleeding;
- diseases of the circulatory system associated with the violation of its coagulation;
- violation of the liver;
- pregnancy and breast-feeding;
- sickle-cell anemia.
In some cases hormonal therapy is allowed, but only under the supervision of a physician. Such pathologies include:
- bronchial asthma;
- the high content of calcium in the body;
- renal disease;
- autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus and multiple sclerosis.
How to apply?
Any drug that contains a synthetic hormone, can only be assigned after a complete examination of the body and specialist advice. Based on analyses, the doctor made the final diagnosis. And will take into account the presence of other somatic pathologies, which can affect hormonal balance.
The dose and duration of therapy depend on each case and are selected individually. When self-treatment may develop severe hormonal alterations, whose correction then it would take a long time.
And dosage affects the intake of other systemic agents. The drug ethinyl estradiol reduces the effectiveness of anticoagulants, hypoglycemic and antihypertensive drugs.
Like any other drug, ethinyl estradiol may have an adverse effect on the body. Possible appearance:
- increased platelet count and risk of thrombosis;
- edema of the extremities;
- weight gain;
- decrease in libido;
- reduced tolerance to carbohydrates, namely glucose;
- increased breast size and tenderness;
- disruption of the normal functioning of the liver which manifests as jaundice;
- areas of hyperpigmentation.
As a rule, in compliance with all guidelines for the use, side effects do not happen.
If excessive intake of ethinyl estradiol can result in such symptoms:
- bleeding from the vagina.
Assistance is given according to the symptoms.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Purpose of ethinyl estradiol is contraindicated in pregnant women. When using during lactation is recommended to stop it.
Drugs containing the hormone
A pure substance contains only ethinyl estradiol the drug, Microfollin. All other analogues are composed of more active substances.
For example, in drug Femoden, to synthetic analog of estrogen is added gestagen. This drug acts as a drug for oral contraception. But it is also prescribed for irregular menstrual cycle and heavy bleeding.
To reduce the side effects use a combination of ethinyl estradiol with drospirenone. These substances complement each other. Drospirenone decreases the delay of sodium ions and water. Therefore, edema and weight gain because of them will not. The most popular drugs:
Sometimes it is possible to apply the external shape. For this purpose, the drug Divigel. It is prescribed to patients with hepatic insufficiency, as a penetration means in the body occurs due to the absorption from subcutaneous tissue. The only exceptions are tumor-like formation of the body.
Deprivation of natural hormones leads to severe systemic consequences. To restore the normal balance help synthetically synthesized substances. To the reproductive system is used the preparation of ethinyl estradiol. Its effect is the same as that of the natural hormone, so it is able to restore hormonal balance.
Before using this medication mandatory consultation with a specialist. It will conduct all the necessary tests and will control all the effects on the body.
There are no similar records.