HCG in missed abortion — how fast it falls
The increased HCG in pregnancy, with missed abortion and nonpregnant women vary considerably. To change the level of its content in the blood can be judged about the nature of pregnancy and the presence of pathology.
Human chorionic gonadotropin – effect on a woman’s body
HCG is a hormone. Its content in the blood of non-pregnant women and men is 0-5 IU/l after 6 to 8 days after joining of egg and sperm there is a rapid increase in HCG production by the chorion.
On the basis of its quantity in the urine based tests to detect pregnancy. The test result is considered reliable only after 2 weeks after conception. If negative you can retest the urine after 2-3 days as the hormone levels increase every 48-72 hours.
In the body of a woman who bears a child, HCG performs the following functions:
- contributes to the cessation of the menstrual cycle;
- activates the production of hormones estrogen and progesterone;
- affects the growth of the endometrium, the accumulation of nutrients and minerals for the growth of the embryo;
- stimulates growth of the corpus luteum in the ovary;
- activates the production of testosterone in the male child.
The most accurate way of determining conception is the blood test for human chorionic gonadotropin. Diagnosis at an early stage to allow timely access to a doctor, to identify possible pathology and eliminate the cause.
To diagnose abnormal fetal development is possible due to the examination of the uterine cavity by the method of ultrasound and blood test for human chorionic gonadotropin.
Since the most frequently the implantation of the ovum after fertilization takes place only 4 days after ovulation, it is recommended to take a blood test not earlier than 7 days after presumed ovulation.
Rules of delivery of the analysis:
- 5 hours before the test, you should refuse to eat;
- to study for rent in venous blood;
- to donate blood should be not earlier than a week after ovulation;
- the dynamics of the analysis carried out only after 48-72 hours from the date of the first analysis;
- upon delivery of the analysis it is recommended to use the services of the same laboratory.
Reliably determine the term according to the analysis of HCG is impossible, because run the standard quantity of hormone in accordance with week after conception is quite high. The level of HCG in missed abortion is the main factor that can cause anxiety not only women but doctors.
However, the dynamics of increase or fall of HCG in the sinking of pregnancy allows you to analyze and correct diagnosis. To identify deviations from the norm, you should use the indicators in the table.
Norma HCG respectively the day after conception in the initial period of pregnancy:
|The day after the fertilization of the egg||Hormone levels, IU/l|
The normal HCG levels by week after conception:
|Week of pregnancy||Hormone levels, IU/l|
|1-2||from 5 to 25|
|3-4||from 25 to 156|
|4-5||from 101 to 4870|
|5-6||from 1110 to 31500|
|6-7||from 2560 to 82300|
|7-8||from 23100 to 15.1 thousand|
|8-9||from 27300 to 23.3 thousand|
|9-13||from 20900 to 29.1 thousand|
|13-18||from 6140 to 10.3 thousand|
|18-23||from 4720 to 80100|
These indicators are not standard, because different laboratories use different standards, assessment criteria and unit of measure.
The sinking of the fetus as a reason for the decline in HCG
The analysis of the dynamics of HCG can indicate that the hormone levels are no longer increasing or decreasing. The reasons for this phenomenon are as follows:
- the development of the embryo in the fallopian tube;
- fading or delay development of the child;
- threatened miscarriage;
- intrauterine death of the embryo.
The most frequent reason for a decrease in level of HCG is fading the development of the fetus.
The causes of fading
The frequency of miscarriage because of the fading of the fruit reaches 10 to 20%. Most dangerous is the period up to 14 weeks (1st trimester). Credible reasons for the fading of the embryo is not revealed, but indirectly this process is influenced by:
- hormonal disorders – if the body of the expectant mother there is a lack of progesterone, intrauterine development of the child can stop. Threat to the fetus is the excess of androgens, which is usually accompanied by disease of the ovaries (sklerokistoz, polycystic) and the thyroid gland. Women with hormonal disorders it is advisable to resort to medication, which allows to save the fetus;
- genetic disorders – there is a theory that the mother’s body gets rid of non-viable embryos. According to statistics, 20% of women lose babies, even knowing about the fact of fertilization. A woman can just fix the slight delay of menstruation, then she start the heavy and slightly more painful periods. When severe pain and long heavy bleeding best to consult a doctor;
- infectious disease – if the body temperature above 38 °C, the body has a hard to cope with the retention of the embryo. The presence in a woman’s body infection type chlamydia, herpes, rubella, toxoplasmosis, cytomegalovirus can cause sinking of the fetus and miscarriage;
- rhesus incompatibility of blood mother and father of a child if the RH factor of the mother and the child’s body rejects the fetus as a foreign element. This situation can be corrected, if time to go to the gynecologist and to undertake hormone therapy to protect the embryo.
Other unfavorable factors also affect the course of pregnancy. These include:
- the action of toxic substances or x-ray radiation during operation;
- the influence of unfavorable ecological situation;
- alcohol, Smoking, drugs.
For the timely treatment in hospital should be familiar with the signs of the fading of the fetus.
Signs of fading pregnancy
Condition that you should pay attention to:
- the disappearance of morning sickness – before 10 weeks sudden cessation of the nausea, drowsiness, intolerance of odors can be attributed to the indirect symptoms fading pregnancy;
- the cessation of pain in the milk glands;
- the decrease in basal temperature to 36-37 °C – this symptom is indicative and probable death of the child, and the lack of progesterone or threatened abortion for other reasons. In some cases the child can be saved, in a timely manner by contacting the gynecologist;
- response pregnancy test has become weaker at the level of the hormone in the urine during the first weeks of the 1st trimester either test indicates a negative result;
- a significant slowing or cessation of growth of HCG;
- the cessation of the perturbations of the fetus in the 2nd and the 3rd trimester;
- pains drawing, aching in the lower abdomen, discharge mixed with blood.
The presence of one or more of the signs – the reason for going to the hospital for the purpose of examination. The most reliable sign of the fading of pregnancy is the lack of baby’s heartbeat on the ultrasound results after 1.5 months after conception. Analysis of HCG in missed abortion in the early stages is the only available method of diagnosis.
To reduce the level of HCG in the sinking
Women who notice a deviation of the level of HCG during pregnancy from the norm, people wonder how quickly drops the level of HCG in the sinking of pregnancy? There are basic provisions for variation of hormone levels, knowing that the woman will be able to suspect intrauterine sinking of the fetus:
- in the delivery of several tests in succession, at intervals of 2-3 days will be observed the dynamics of decline of HCG. The rate of change indicator to the downside depends on the individual characteristics of the organism;
- the rate of HCG will be 3-9 times lower than the norm for the corresponding period of pregnancy;
- high levels of the hormone observed as long as the frozen embryo will not be extracted from the cavity of the uterus. Membranes of the embryo of the deceased can continue the synthesis GHC in very small quantities. Abnormal production of the hormone noticeable when testing multiple times in a row;
- the level of concentration of HCG in the blood will decrease each day after the death of the fetus.
Empirically identified the approximate drop in the level of hormone in the sinking of the fetus in different terms of pregnancy:
|Gestational age, weeks||Many times the level of HCG are below the norm in the sinking of the fetus|
According to the research results, when lowering the hormone levels in 27% of cases the fetus in the uterus has been alive, and in 14% of cases of ectopic embryo development.
As well as the level of HCG during pregnancy, when a heavy pregnancy may slightly increase. Error diagnosis is possible for late ovulation that led to the error of determining the date of conception.
These indicators indicates a high but not absolute certainty fading embryo with inadequate growth rate HCG. Therefore, it is recommended to verify the diagnosis by means of ultrasonography.
If the diagnosis is accurate, and the pregnancy cannot be saved, the woman, it is important to understand that, so the body stopped the development of a potentially viable baby. In missed abortion HCG is the main indicator of the health status of the child.
This does not mean that the situation could be repeated. It is important to stay positive, to take action in the future, the tragedy is not repeated. To prepare for carrying a child should:
- a complete survey pairs for infections;
- to be vaccinated against rubella, hepatitis, influenza, 3 months before the planned pregnancy;
- to spend hormonal inspection and labeling tactics hormonal therapy (support) from the moment of conception;
- woman to take folic acid 3-4 months prior to conception;
- to lead a healthy lifestyle;
- constantly monitor the level of HCG and progesterone when pregnancy for rapid adjustment-preserving therapy.
Adherence to these simple recommendations will help in the future to bear and give birth to a healthy baby.
There are no similar records.