Endoscopic surgery on the maxillary sinus — the consequences
How is the procedure performed on the maxillary sinus?
The nose performing a list of important functions that ensure the normal functioning of the organism. And it’s not just respiratory and olfactory function, but also protective and lacrimal. Airway begins in the maxillary sinuses. They are the biggest in size of all the sinuses and actually associated with development of pathologies such as sinusitis, polyps or cyst.
For the treatment of such ailments are often assigned surgery on the maxillary sinus. Despite the fact that this is a last resort therapy, it is still quite common due to the nature of the disease. Consider in more detail the peculiarities and consequences of such an operation.
Maxillary sinus – structure features
The maxillary sinus received its name in honor of the English surgeon, anatomist of Nathaniel of Gamora, who studied pathology of the paranasal sinuses. This is he first described the disease which was later named sinusitis.
Consider the sinuses, as mentioned earlier, are the largest and occupy almost the entire cavity of the upper jaw. Each person indicators of shape and volume of the individual. They depend on anatomic features of the skull structure.
With the nasal cavity paranasal sinuses are connected by a narrow canal anastomosis. The sinuses are covered with mucous membrane, which ensures the removal of pathogenic microorganisms, and in a healthy condition filled with air.
Help. If a fistula for a long time clogged, it contributes to the accumulation of mucus and thickening, after which it turns into a pus. Such a process is fraught with inflammation of the walls of the sinuses, leading to the development of various diseases.
The maxillary sinus is from the internal, front and back, top and bottom walls, and any violation of each of them leads to certain health complications.
Maxillary sinuses perform the following functions:
- the purification of the air used in breathing – air mass, before you can get into the lungs, purified, heated to the desired temperature and increases humidity.
- the recognition of odours is a feature of the surface of the sinuses is that they are able to enhance the functioning of olfactory receptors;
- protective function consists in that on the mucous membrane deposited all harmful bacteria and viruses, which are subsequently excreted.
In addition, the paranasal sinus is involved in the formation of voice and tone. It is the emptiness of the sinuses is responsible for performing a resonance function.
The mucosa of the sinuses promotes the flow of drugs due to rapid absorption in the extensive system of blood vessels located in it.
In some cases, surgery is needed
Justified without the need of endoscopic surgery on the maxillary sinus is not carried out.
This is an extreme method of treatment to which it is necessary to resort to specialists for the following reasons:
- In the pathology of a chronic nature, that is, long-term treatment of the patient is inconclusive, with different inflammatory processes in the nose does not stop.
- The presence of maxillary sinuses in various tumors and growths, whose removal occurs by mechanical means only.
- Inflammatory processes in the maxillary sinuses and jaw triggered by various pathologies or other dental diseases.
- In the case of complications of sinusitis, for example, when the threat of contact with purulent masses in the skull, which leads to more serious consequences.
Based on the foregoing, it can be concluded that endoscopy is performed only when necessary, mainly in the situation of the existence of threats to acquire more serious health consequences.
Endoscopic or intranasal surgery is the surgery belonging to the group of minimally invasive, because after its execution, there is no obvious tissue damage or serious violations in the anatomical structure of the nose.
Negative consequences of such surgery develop much less than with abdominal surgery. In addition, this type of treatment is available for most patients because it is less costly.
This procedure can be performed in the inpatient and outpatient.
Help. Endoscopic surgery lasts from 30 min. to 1 hour 30 minutes Duration depends on the anatomical features of the maxillary sinuses of the patient and experience of the doctor.
The order of work of the surgeon during the operation as follows:
- the nose is placed an endoscope (a special optical device). With its help, the doctor visually monitors the progress of the operation;
- in the nose a surgical instrument is introduced, with which is performed the procedure. The choice of tools depends on the type of disease. Usually used: laser burning of the tissue, the scalpel or hangnail – removal of formations.
This operation is carried out without anesthesia because it is painless. In some cases, when the patient has a low pain threshold, the procedure is performed under local anesthesia.
After endoscopic surgery, as well as after abdominal, observe the patient for several weeks. This is to ensure that the specialist was able to monitor the patient’s condition and time to remove clots and mucous masses. In this period, the patient needs a special diet, are necessary to improve the restorative abilities of the body.
Endoscopic surgery on the maxillary sinus: implications
After the surgery should prepare for the fact that in the first few days of nose breathing is impossible, and in the first day after the removal of the tampons will be an uncontrollable flow of tears.
But such phenomena are extremely fast.
Attention! Use of nasal drops with a vasoconstrictor effect after surgery is strictly prohibited without the permission of the doctor.
Practice shows that endoscopy in rare cases causes any complications. However, to completely exclude such a factor is impossible, because sometimes you may experience the following consequences:
- Bleeding from the nose. The phenomenon is not terrible and easily stopped by the doctor using a conventional swab.
- The blood of the eyelids. Sometimes blood gets in the eye, but goes back itself and does not cause any problems.
- The occurrence of inflammation in the sinuses. In that case, if there is a clear discomfort, you should immediately inform your doctor.
- Education in the nose of crusts.
- Re-formation of a purulent cyst, which leads to another operation.
- The formation of adhesions between wall and septum of the nose.
- Headache, in case of damage during surgery to nerves.
These effects occur rarely, but if this happens, then a timely appeal to the specialist will help to resolve the issue.
Of course, any surgery to the body is stress, and experts unnecessarily not appointed surgery. However, there are cases when no such procedure was required.
Endoscopy this is the most sparing method of treatment of various diseases of the maxillary sinuses.