Epidermal Staphylococcus (epidermidis) in nose: symptoms and treatment
How to treat epidermal Staphylococcus in the nose?
There are three types of staphylococci pose a threat to human health. In most cases, the cause of the disease is Staphylococcus aureus. But other types of bacteria also can cause harm to the human body. Among them are – epidermal Staphylococcus.
This type of bacteria is like the human skin, and mucous membranes. It is widely distributed among the population and even easily transmitted by airborne droplets. Often, bacteria found in the nasal cavity of the patient. Therefore it is necessary to consider in detail the symptoms and treatment of epidermal Staphylococcus in the nose.
Causes of vozniknoveniya
Statistics show that Staphylococcus aureus in 90% of cases is the cause of infections caused by this group of bacteria. Diseases, provoked by this kind of microorganisms can lead to the development of serious pathologies and in some cases pose a risk to the life of the patient.
Epidermal Staphylococcus, although it may harm the body, is not as dangerous as gold.
These bacteria are classified as pathogenic. That is, they harm only in case of occurrence of a certain event.
Some experts are inclined to attribute this bacterium to the normal microflora of the human body.
Reduced immunity is the main factor that makes possible the development of staphylococcal infections. In the case of a weakened immune system of epidermal Staphylococcus bacteria start to multiply at higher speed.
The body can not curb the increase in the number of microorganisms. The more bacteria is formed, the higher the concentration of emissions of harmful substances that negatively affect the patient’s body.
Usually the similar situation is observed among pregnant women, persons who survived surgery in the recent past, and people being treated in intensive care units. Often the disease develops on the background of dysbiosis. The bacterium can be transmitted by airborne droplets way.
Infection occurs most often during surgical interventions, including on the nose. The greatest danger epidermal Staphylococcus is for individuals suffering from neutropenia. Such individuals the infection is accompanied by massive bacteremia, there is a severe intoxication of the organism. In the absence of therapy can be fatal.
Symptoms and diagnosis
At first, the infection develops secretly. To notice the beginning of bacteria belonging to the Staphylococcus epidermidis, it is almost impossible. The first signs of problems occur only in the event of a significant increase in the number of pathogenic microorganisms.
First and foremost, the patient manifested a cold. Allocation complicate nasal breathing and cause considerable discomfort. However, the propagation of epidermal Staphylococcus in the nose provokes the development of other, more serious symptoms. Staph infection in nose causes of the patient:
- Severe pain in the region of the head.
- A fever (if the infection localized in the nose area, the increase will be negligible, in the case of its spread to other parts of the body may significantly raising the overall temperature of the patient).
- Swelling that develops in the nasal cavity and blocking or significantly complicating nasal breathing.
- Pain in the throat. Often, patients have a sore in the same part of the body.
- The formation of crusts in the nasal cavity.
- Rash in the area of the nasal cavity, accompanied by pain sensations.
In severe cases can cause abscesses and boils. In addition, epidermal Staphylococcus in the nose may cause acute illness affecting the upper respiratory tract.
Therefore, diseases such as tonsillitis, pharyngitis etc. can also be signs of developing staph infection.
Of the nose pathogenic bacteria can get into other parts of the body. The process of spread of infection is a danger to the patient.
In that case, if the epidermal Staphylococcus were still inside the body, the patient observed:
- Significant deterioration of health. The patient tires easily, feels weak. Observed pallor of the skin.
- A significant increase in overall body temperature (in some cases it reaches up to forty degrees).
- Disorders associated with the process of bowel movement. In the feces of the patient can be detected particles of pus, mucus.
- Frequent urge to vomit, followed by feeling of nausea.
Symptoms, which can definitely determine the development of epidermal aureus, no. In case of detection of one or more characteristics described above, it is necessary to address urgently to the doctor. To determine the exact cause of deterioration of the patient is possible only after the smear of the nose/throat, in the analysis which will be followed by the calculation of the concentration of bacteria in the studied areas.
First and foremost it should be noted that to completely get rid of epidermal Staphylococcus is difficult. In addition, the feasibility of such a task is questionable. For the treatment of the infection will be enough to reduce the number of bacteria to normal levels. In this case, the concentration of excreted substances decrease and the pathogens themselves will not pose a danger to humans.
Important! Therapy is only required if the concentration of bacteria in the human body exceeds the norm.
Main therapeutic measures should be aimed at strengthening the immunity of the patient. It is necessary to diversify his diet with foods that are rich in vitamins and trace elements. It is recommended to eat more fruits and berries. For example a course of multivitamins. It is also desirable to refuse from harmful habits (use of alcohol, tobacco, drugs) and exercise.
Such measures will strengthen the immune system of the patient and give his body a chance to fight against infection. Without improving protective functions of the patient, the therapy will be ineffective. Staph bacteria, including epidermal and have a high resistance to the action of antibiotic drugs. In this respect, they stand out against other microorganisms.
So before you start drug therapy, conducted bacteriological culture and analysis of the sensitivity of bacteria to different drugs.
A specific asset can be assigned only after such studies and depends on their results. Based on these data, the specialist will prescribe one of the following:
- Antibiotics to which the bacteria is sensitive discovered. Perhaps the appointment of «Actiona», «Ospamox», «Amoxiclav», «Vancomycin», «Misurina» or «Oxacillin».
- Means in the form of ointments, intended for lubrication of internal areas of the nose, mucous that is it. In this case, highlighted in the ointment «Baktroban», «Mupirocin», «Bonders». Preparations in the form of ointments are commonly used in the development of patient’s rash.
- Quite often, doctors resort to «Bioparox», «Isorry» or «Polydoxy», the medicines produced in the form of sprays. It is convenient to use, besides, they have a relatively small list of side effects.
- Antibiotic therapy is usually accompanied by ingestion of sulfonamides, which increase the effectiveness of antibiotics and have antibacterial properties. Often experts prefer the «Nasinu», «Ofloxacin» or «Biseptol».
- Of antiseptics. Used for washing the nasal cavity. Perhaps the use of «Miramistina», «Furatsilinom», «Chlorhexidine».
- Salt solutions. Allow to clear the nasal cavity of mucus/microbes. Popular tools such as: «Homer», «no-Sol», «Physiomer» and «other means».
There is another way to fight against the epidermal aureus – the use of bacteriophages. The essence of this method consists in introducing into the patient’s body of bacteria, active against Staphylococcus. Specialists resort to this measure in that case, if the applied antibiotics have failed or are they contraindicated to the patient.
Attention! In the case of using bacteriophage is strictly prohibited to carry out the procedure of the nasal lavage with solutions containing alcohol.
In order to accelerate the strengthening of the immune system, can be treated with immunomodulators, stimulate the defense systems of the body. The doctor may use a «Immunomics», «IRS-19», «Galavit». But even with comprehensive treatment, the treatment can last up to three to four weeks.
Thus, for the human threat is not the presence of epidermal Staphylococcus in the nasal cavity, and the excessive increase in the number of pathogenic bacteria belonging to the species. The revitalization of these microorganisms leads to the development of the common cold, headaches, aggravation of chronic diseases of the upper respiratory tract and the manifestation of other symptoms.
The main reason for the development of infection is a weakened immune system. Before to treat Staphylococcus epidermidis, the analysis of the sensitivity of the detected bacteria to different groups of antibiotics.
As a means of therapy can be used drugs in the form of tablets, ointments, sprays and injections. It is important to strengthen the immune system of the patient, which in his diet are rich in vitamins products. Perhaps the use of immunomodulators.