Exudative sinusitis: what is it, symptoms and treatment
How to recognize and cure of exudative sinusitis?
Sinusitis in the stage of exudation is considered to be complicated by inflammation, as occurs with an acute inflammatory process in the cavity of the paranasal sinuses. In the course of such pathology, the patient noted the formation of large amounts of purulent secretions. Before you begin a comprehensive treatment, the patient must establish the reason for the formation of a left or a right exudative sinusitis. It is believed that the main cause is the infiltration of respiratory infections or hypothermia.
The symptoms and treatment of exudative sinusitis always different, as it largely depends on the individual circumstances of the patient. But to identify the clinical need as quickly as possible, as this form of the disease causes severe swelling in the sinuses. As a result, the patient is disturbed function of the nasal cavity and there is a serious inflammation.
Exudative sinusitis and its phases
Acute inflammation of the paranasal sinuses annually occurs in twenty percent of the total population. With proper treatment and timely diagnosis to get rid of that inflammation is quite simple. If drug therapy is not arrived in time, the patient develops a complication. Complications from rhinitis or other inflammation of the respiratory tract it most commonly affects the maxillary cavity, causing the formation of exudative sinusitis.
Exudative inflammation is characterized by lesions of the maxillary sinus with a large accumulation of fluid.
The exudate has a different consistency, density, substance, smell and touch. The reason for the formation of the liquid lies in the penetration into the cavity of the paranasal sinuses of viruses, bacteria or infections.
In rare cases of exudative sinusitis occurs due to fungal infection.
If it is impossible to breathe through the nose, the patient noted the formation of large amounts of mucous or purulent secretions.
The swelling and inflammation may develop on only one side. In rare cases, patients are diagnosed with bilateral exudative sinusitis.
Unilateral sinusitis is far more common than the defeat of two sinuses.
Stage of inflammation
The symptoms and severity of the inflammation depends on the immune system. In the standard development of the disease the patient is diagnosed three stages:
- First and foremost patients diagnosed with swelling of the mucous membrane and inflammation of the cells of the maxillary sinus. Often at this stage there is a violation permeability of blood vessels.
- After this process is a violation of the integrity of the vascular walls, which leads to the emergence and selection of liquid secretion. Exudative inflammation appears only when a violation of the structure of cells, so it is important to get treatment even in this phase.
- If the patient was diagnosed with inflammation in time, appear purulent discharge. Often, their education is due to the penetration of bacteria into the cavity of the maxillary sinus.
Exudative sinusitis appears in the second phase. It is very important to heal the inflammation, even at this stage, otherwise the patient appear purulent lesions of the sinuses. In this case, the treatment will be more difficult.
The reasons for the formation
The liquid in the cavity of the maxillary sinus may occur due to several reasons. Most often this inflammation occurs due to allergic destruction of the body. The patients reported the formation of mucous and liquid exudate is not only in the maxillary sinus, but also in the nasal cavity. In addition, the reason may lie in the infectious lesions of the nasal mucosa.
Often patients are diagnosed with the exudate from a viral development. In this case, sinusitis occurs due goes untreated cold or flu.
If the patient has noticed a purulent discharge, it is necessary to identify the kind of bacteria. It may be Moraxella, hemophilic Bacillus, Staphylococcus, and others. In this case, fluid in the sinuses is replaced with pus.
The clinical picture of the inflammation appears depending on the type of disease. Usually fluid in the sinuses causes the body’s temperature and congestion in the nasal passages. In addition, note the following symptoms:
- The patient is tormented by a painful feeling inside the nose. The presence of exudate triggers the unpleasant sensation of head tilt or turn. The pain may increase when lying down, when a person is trying to sleep.
- Discharge from the nasal cavity is a sure sign of exudative forms of sinusitis. Usually the mucus is white or yellowish.
- In purulent lesions, the patient observes a change in drainage. They begin to get yellow or green.
- In addition, there is a complete or partial loss of smell and signs of intoxication.
- You receive a stuffy nose, and weakness throughout the body.
- The patient can’t sleep, becomes lethargic, loses efficiency.
It is believed that the defeat of the nasal cavity on the one hand is much easier than bilateral sinusitis. The symptoms in the second case more acute.
How to treat exudative sinusitis
Treatment of this kind of sinusitis begins with the examination of the patient ENT doctor.
During the examination it is important to conduct some tests and take blood for tests.
To confirm the diagnosis, the patient is prescribed the holding of x-rays. Using the picture of the skull, the doctor will identify the localization of the inflammation and the quantity of mucous secretion in the nasal cavity.
After the decision a clear diagnosis, the doctor prescribes treatment. In the course of therapy, it is important to determine the decrease of fluid in the paranasal sinuses and reduce symptoms of inflammation. The patient is assigned the following drugs:
- Antihistamine drugs — «Zyrtec», «Aerius», «Effective», «Suprastin».
- Vasoconstrictor drops «Xylitol», «Llanos», «Nazivin», «Naphazoline», «Otrivin».
- The reorganization of the nasal cavity with the following firstgov — «Akvamaris», «Aqualor», «Snoop», «Dolphin».
- After rinsing it is important to lubricate the nasal passages with oil or preparations based on medicinal herbs.
- In the presence of pus are appointed by moisturizing sprays and drops, like the «Rinofluimutsil».
- If the inflammation is acute symptoms, the patient is prescribed broad-spectrum antibiotics — «Augmentin» and «Azitroks».
For effective treatment it is important to bring the infection from the nasal cavity. For this purpose, the drainage of the sinuses. That the disease is not acquired purulent form, you must strictly adhere to scheduled treatment.
If inflammation of sinusitis has attained the chronic stage, the patient is prescribed surgery.
In this case, the patient is assigned a puncture of the maxillary sinus, in which the doctor removes all the mucus and pus.
During the operation the patient install the catheter, which in the future is removal of fluid.
After surgical exposure is important to minimize the consequences.
For this assigned to anti-allergic drugs and anti-inflammatory nasal sprays.
If the patient has taken measures at the initial stage of inflammation, the doctor may prescribe only physiotherapy treatment. Get rid of fluid in the nose, you can use massage, warm, magnetic therapy and laser treatment.
To exudative sinusitis passed you by you need to take care of your health condition. It is necessary to rinse nasal passages twice a month and use moisturizing sprays.
For a person is exposed to various inflammatory processes in the nasopharynx, it is useful to take a few drops of antibacterial nature from natural ingredients.
Remember that treatment of any inflammation in the upper airway requires a comprehensive examination and proper therapy.