Frontal sinusitis and maxillary sinusitis: the difference, symptoms, treatment
The treatment of sinusitis and sinusitis
Under the influence of viruses, bacteria and fungi in the nasal cavity that leads to inflammation, in most cases limited to a runny nose. However, under adverse circumstances, hypothermia or inadequate assistance to develop complications in the form of lesions of the paranasal sinuses. This group of diseases is called sinusitis: sinusitis, frontal sinusitis, sphenoidal and ethmoidal. Often inflamed maxillary and frontal sinuses. Here about them and speech will go.
Symptoms of diseases
The share of sinusitis in General accounts for about 20% of the annual illnesses in the population, of which 4% is owned by the sinusitis, and 10-12% of maxillary sinusitis.
Interesting fact: inflammation of the frontal sinus is more frequently diagnosed in young men than in women, but the reason for the «love» of the disease to the noses of the gentlemen is still not clear.
In many ways, the signs of sinusitis and frontal sinusitis are similar:
- poor health;
- distraction, inability to concentrate;
- swelling of the face, especially the cheeks;
- reduction or loss of smell;
- pressure, bursting pain in eyes;
- temperature rise;
- pain that radiates temples, jaw, neck;
- the formation of cracks around the nasal passages;
However, there are other characteristic symptoms indicating sinusitis:
- the accumulation of mucus in the nose and throat at night;
- rear rhinitis;
- congestion of the nasal passages;
- pain, more spreading on the upper jaw and upper cheeks;
- dry mouth;
- unpleasant smell from the mouth and nose.
- periodic paroxysmal pain in the lower border of the forehead, nadrovia;
- intense selection of yellow-green mucus in the standing position and a slight runny nose in the lying position;
- watery eyes;
- painful reaction of eyes to light;
- redness and swelling of the upper eyelids.
Although for the average person not in possession of medical knowledge, the cold remains the cold, knowledge of the symptoms of sinusitis and sinusitis will help to Orient in time and to seek assistance from an ENT doctor.
Causes of sinusitis
The vast majority of frontal sinusitis and sinusitis accounted for by viral and bacterial diseases. The impetus for the inflammation may be the common cold, influenza and other ARVI, and even measles. A number of cases the conscience of allergic, including seasonal manifestations. Often sinusitis occur due to injury, especially frontal sinuses, or the nasal cavity obstructions. Cause of sinusitis can become «aspiring» dental caries or accidental contact with filling material in the root channels.
Most often, the infection in the sinuses secondary and is the result of running cold or viral illness if the passive «nelecheny» or, on the contrary, active individual therapy, all the means at hand.
And then, and more dangerous, because rhinitis may not just be a transition to sinusitis or sinusitis, and to go ahead and trigger an inflammation of the meninges, ocular and auditory tubes.
In addition to the clinical picture and the patient in the hands of specialists some additional variants of the survey. To laboratory methods is a common blood test that allows to identify the culprit of the disease by the leukocyte formula. The knowledge of this radically affects the tactics of treatment, as antibiotics for sinusitis and sinusitis is needed only when the bacterial origin of the disease. Viral diseases are not amenable to antibiotic therapy.
Instrumental methods of examination are presented in the first place, x-rays, which displays the affected area in the picture in the form of a blackout, and computed tomography, which allows high accuracy to determine the localization of the infection and the anatomical features of the sinuses.
Among other options are used and other additional ways:
- ultrasound examination of the paranasal sinuses;
- immunological analysis;
- diagnostic puncture;
- bacteriological examination of mucus.
If the precipitating factor of the infection become allergic to it, carry out the necessary Allergy tests.
Methods of treatment
Sinusitis – not the lungs inflammation, is able to pass by themselves without consequences. So talking about the treatment of sinusitis and sinusitis in the home, in principle, can not go.
To eliminate the inflammation of the maxillary sinuses applied conservative therapy in the form:
- of course of antibiotics;
- fizioterapevticheskie procedures;
- symptomatic relief;
- of antihistamines.
If gentle methods do not render the expressed influence or have insufficient recovery effect, have resorted to radical methods.
- Classic hamartoma. Is performed under local or General anesthesia and involves open access to the affected sinuses. The procedure is well understood, occurs universally. Among the shortcomings can be identified long recovery period, a high risk of damage to healthy tissue, swelling after the surgery.
- Laser hamartoma. The type of access similar to the classic operation, however, the risk of trauma to the tissues is reduced, and the recovery period.
- Endoscopic hamartoma. Today is the best way of radical treatment of inflammation of the maxillary sinuses. Trauma healthy mucous membranes minimal, reduced the recovery period, swelling is poorly expressed or absent. Besides, such intervention does not require General anesthesia and can be performed on an outpatient basis.
You can also use sinus catheter.
In respect of sinusitis treatment is aimed at eliminating the causes of inflammation and ensuring the air in the frontal sinuses. It is also divided into conservative and radical methods. In uncomplicated course of the disease resort to vasoconstrictor and antiallergic agents, physiotherapy, antibiotics upon confirmation of a bacterial infection. If these measures do not help, connect irrigation of the sinuses, including a method of movement that people call «cuckoo».
In the case when the disease started, passed into the suppurative stage and is not submitted to the influence of conservative methods, is to resort to surgery.
One of the most effective ways of evacuation of the contents of the sinuses when sinusitis – trepanopuncture.
This procedure is performed most often under local anesthesia. Before the intervention is carried out the mandatory x-rays with contrast, the results of which on the patient’s forehead to apply a special mark for better access.
The hole for subsequent drainage make a special long needle, the size of which is regulated, or drill. In the puncture insert the hard plastic conduit through which the frontal sinus the cannula is inserted, an elastic needle with a round end of stainless steel or high quality plastic needed for the irrigation of the sinuses and drug delivery to the inflammation site. This device is carefully fixed with Bandaids on the forehead of the patient and leave for a few days for regular treatments, until the disease is «not losing ground». This period should not exceed 5 days from the moment of puncture, as a more prolonged drainage structure in the sinus can affect tissue repair.
The conduct of trepanopuncture contraindicated:
- in meningitis;
- osteomyelitis of the skull bones;
- purulent abscesses;
The list of contraindications may include other diseases that can adversely affect the outcome of therapy or the patient’s health during the treatment. Is determined strictly individually by the attending physician.
The treatment of sinusitis and sinusitis – a prerogative of doctors otolaryngologists. Attempts to personally get rid of inflammation often result in the degradation and transformation of an acute disease into a chronic disease. If you suspect inflammation of the frontal, maxillary or other sinuses, is required to see a specialist ENT practice.