Barrett’s esophagus: diet, not eating and food rules
Barrett’s esophagus diet what not and you can eat
The main point in the treatment of diseases of the digestive system is diet. And this is not surprising because the main function of this system is digestion. A change of diet during the development of the disease facilitates the work and reduces stress.
But does this method of treatment in severe pathologies? As, for example, influence of diet on Barrett’s esophagus? It will be an important moment or is it just a formality that has no impact? We will focus on the effects of nutrition on altered on. Why some products will have to forget forever?
The importance of diet when Barrett’s esophagus
The first words I hear patients at the beginning treatment from a gastroenterologist: «it is Important to eat right». Since the diagnosis begins a new period in human life, on which depends his future well-being. Therefore, each concerned about the pressing question — how is necessary to observe recommendations of doctors for nutrition. And impact of products on the disease?
Diet Barrett’s esophagus is not easy recommendation. Products will not affect the reverse regeneration of abnormal cells of the epithelium of the esophagus normal. And unlike other diseases of the digestive system in this case, eating is not the mainstay of treatment. Nevertheless, it performs important functions.
- Reducing the use of aggressive products for the esophagus, the person reduces the risk of further progression of the disease.
- The correct meals in the diet will help to avoid many complications.
- Additionally reduces the load on the digestive organs, thereby increasing the probability of better absorption of drugs.
Treatment for Barrett’s esophagus is aimed at eliminating the causes that led to the disease. Most often it is GERD and its accompanying pathological reflux, in which there is a reverse casting of stomach contents into the upper digestive system (reflux). Products do not directly affect the modified cells of the esophagus, but they can reduce the number of refluxes and to normalize the acidity of gastric juice, which promotes the replacement of the normal epithelium to intestinal.
Rules of nutrition in Barrett’s esophagus
The entire period of treatment will have to strictly follow some simple rules, they apply not only to products that should or should not be used. Lifestyle and daily routine will have to adjust a bit. How to serve food and what not to do?
- Diet for Barrett’s esophagus should be at least 5 times a day. It is important to remember that portions should be small, and the intervals between meals at least 2 hours.
- Preference should be given stewed, boiled, steamed dishes, this creates less load on the digestive organs.
- Fruits and vegetables are best consumed in boiled or stewed, raw and on an empty stomach they can irritate the stomach, leading to increase the production of hydrochloric acid.
- Specifically excludes condiments and hot spices, they contribute to the inflammation of the lining of the esophagus.
- During treatment are prohibited in the diet to introduce unfamiliar foods to not aggravate the process.
- The last meal should be not later than 2-3 hours before bedtime.
- Incompatible concepts such as Barrett’s esophagus and alcohol. In any kind of alcoholic beverages should be excluded for a long period.
- You should refrain from strenuous activity immediately after eating, avoid bending the torso forwards. No need to wear clothes with tight belts, corsets and belts.
- Smokers need to quit Smoking.
- The rejection of foods that are poorly tolerated by the body (they develop bloating, constipation, relief of stools, nausea and heartburn).
When selecting products should first be guided by the principle of individual intolerance. Everyone knows that can and should be excluded from the diet.
What not to eat when Barrett’s esophagus
The list of prohibited products is not insignificant, but they are excluded not forever, but only for the period of treatment. What not to eat when Barrett’s esophagus?
- Fatty, fried foods, spicy dishes. Banned sausage, pork, beef, fatty fish, canned food, cream cheese, sour cream high percentage, ketchup, mayonnaise, margarine.
- Banned canned vegetables, pickles. You can not eat tomatoes, radishes, sauerkraut, sorrel, sour, and fiber-rich fruits and berries, mushrooms.
- From cereals excludes wheat, barley, millet and corn, pasta in addition to noodles.
- Not all flour products are allowed in the diet for Barrett’s esophagus. What not to eat: rye and any fresh bread, product of biscuit or puff pastry. At the time of treatment abstain from pies and cakes, chocolate.
- Drinks will also have to strictly control. Not necessary to use strong tea, coffee, any fizzy liquid, store-bought juices, colored drinks.
Why are so many excluded from the usual diet? Such products and dishes of them irritate the lining of the esophagus, resulting in heartburn, contribute to increased development of gastric juice, causing load on the digestive organs.
What can I eat when Barrett’s esophagus
Not all so sad as it seems. Actually have value — not food, and the dishes that they cooked. Why the doctors allowed the following ingredients added to food?
- They do not irritate the lower esophageal sphincter and the lining of the esophagus.
- As possible fill the body with the right nutrients at minimum cost of energy (she is now more need for recovery).
- Do not create a load on the digestive organs.
- Prevent stagnant phenomena in the stomach and intestines.
When Barrett’s esophagus can be eaten the following foods and dishes:
When Barrett’s esophagus is not the principle of power — if you can not but really want, you can! This disease with the strict rules to follow which no one will, but violating them can lose good health forever.