Catarrhal esophagitis: causes, symptoms, treatment, diet
The fact that esophagitis is a normal inflammatory process, which occurs every second when exposed to spicy or too hot food on the delicate mucosa of the esophagus.
But of all the variants of inflammatory diseases of the most common catarrhal esophagitis. And the reason for this is often not just freedom in eating, but also diseases of surrounding organs, infections of certain parts of the digestive system.
Causes catarrhal inflammation
The inflammatory process in the mucosa of the esophagus is a frequent phenomenon. This is a specific reaction to the fact that he is not satisfied. In varying degrees, each person is daily exposed to foreign agents for the digestive system. These include:
When varying the intensity of corrosive chemicals shell react differently. So, what is catarrhal esophagitis? This disease of the esophagus characterized by the appearance of inflammation of the mucous membrane. This place is mucosa edema, in the survey, there are areas of hyperemia (redness). This is quite a common reaction to discomfort, reacts any fabric.
Normal mucosa of the esophagus pink color with a small folding. Catarrhal inflammation of the whole tissue or some of its parts have a bright red juicy color, fabric slightly increased in volume, as in the submucosal layer of the large accumulation of red blood cells — the reaction of blood cells to the irritation in the form of edema that was visible during radiography.
Catarrhal reflux esophagitis
One of the varieties of the disease — catarrhal reflux esophagitis. With regard to this variant of the disease, it occurs due to reflux of gastric or intestinal contents back into the esophagus, that is due to reflux. Normally, the esophagus alkaline environment, the contents of the stomach has an acidic environment, which is detrimental effect on the upper digestive system.
What can be the cause of reflux?
- Increased intra-abdominal pressure due to wearing tight clothes, trunk bending forward after eating, pregnancy and elevated body weight.
- The weakening of the lower esophageal sphincter (muscle at the junction of the esophagus and stomach).
- An improper diet.
- Diseases of the digestive system.
The symptoms of catarrhal esophagitis
Painful process is not always noticeable. Often the disease, before the appearance of more severe lesions of the mucosa does not manifest itself. Or symptoms of catarrhal esophagitis is so rare that it is difficult for them to determine the disease.
Frequent signs of catarrhal esophagitis include the following manifestations of the disease.
- Burning sensation in the chest that occur after eating. More concerned about heartburn after spicy or dry food. Sometimes it’s just scratching sensations in the throat or rawness.
- Pain in the chest due to spasm of the muscles of the esophagus.
- Excessive salivation appears as a protective reaction of organism to contact with acidic stomach contents into the region of the esophagus.
- Belching and nausea.
To make a diagnosis of catarrhal reflux esophagitis should undergo the following studies are necessary:
Treatment of catarrhal esophagitis
To start treatment is always necessary with the right diet. Diet catarrhal esophagitis includes several key points.
- Frequent smaller meals are small in volume portions.
- The last meal should be at least 3 hours before bedtime.
- Food for the whole period of treatment involves only gentle meals, not irritating the mucous membrane of the esophagus. All you need to avoid spicy, fatty foods, coffee and carbonated beverages, alcohol. Starchy and sweet food limited.
- It is important the right treatment products. Allowed only boiled, steamed dishes, baked.
The use of drugs
It seems that this is just a simple inflammation, so treatment can be avoided or enough just dieting. In mild course of the disease — diet and minor changes in life style is sufficient. But in the case when the symptoms bother you every day, not stopping even long after the meal — that means it’s time to start a more serious treatment of catarrhal esophagitis. In addition to the diet prescribed drugs.
- Drugs that protect the mucosa from acid from the stomach: «Solkoseril», alginates, decoction of flax seed.
- Sometimes to quickly and effectively clean up heartburn use antacids after meals use a «Rennie», «aluminium phosphate gel», «Almagel» «Maalox» and other means.
- With the appearance of spastic pain is prescribed depending on the testimony, «But-shpa» or «Papaverine» intramuscularly.
- In addition to symptomatic treatment is used a means of normalizing the excess hydrochloric acid of the stomach. Their purpose must when catarrhal reflux esophagitis. The treatment for this type of esophagitis is held long course for at least a month. Use «Omeprazole», «Pantoprazole», «Lansoprazole», «Famotidine».
Treatment of catarrhal esophagitis is prescribed individually, taking into account symptoms and tolerability of drugs.
Despite the fact that catarrhal esophagitis is a frequent process, it requires careful attention. Once launched, the disease can lead to complications, for example narrowing and ulcers of the esophagus, bleeding. Therefore, if exposed to this diagnosis, not only to visit a therapist, but to take a full course of treatment.