Diagnosis of GERD: what it is, a description of the methods of its production
Diagnosis of GERD
Gastroesophageal reflux disease is skillfully hidden behind the similar symptoms of other, absolutely not related to the disease of the digestive processes. It is almost a unique case when to guess about the presence of GERD after long months of studies of other organ systems. So often the diagnosis of GERD is not exhibited immediately, but after walking through numerous offices of different specialists.
How to avoid mistakes in diagnosis of GERD? What disease is often confused with this and is it possible to avoid such a fate? — we will try to answer all questions concerning the diagnosis of GERD.
Methods of diagnosis of GERD
For the production of any diagnosis it is necessary to take special methods of examination. They are specific to each disease and can solve not only is there this painful process in humans, but also often determine further tactics of treatment. GERD is no exception.
A minimum list of diagnostic procedures that are important to do if you suspect GERD, the following.
- For diagnosis it is used primarily in the analysis of complaints and data history of the disease, which include: the General characteristics of lifestyle and diet-related comorbidities.
- It is important to conduct daily monitoring vnutrimyshechnogo pH (study level of acidity in the esophagus for 24 hours). It allows a differential diagnosis of GERD. This survey nowadays can be carried out not only in hospital but also in outpatient settings. During the day to determine episodes of increasing pH, the number of refluxes and their duration (regurgitation of gastric contents into the esophagus), which can reach up to 50 or more. During this procedure, the person must keep a diary where he records the hourly meal time, the period of the appearance and disappearance of burning retrosternal pain. This record helps to identify whether the emerging sensation in chest with the reflux.
- Additional help is given x-ray examination of esophagus and stomach. It is best conducted in the horizontal position of the person. Radiography reveals the presence of hernias hiatal defects of the mucosa of the Department of the digestive system.
- Among the additional methods of diagnostics of GERD not the least is endoscopy (or EGD fibrogastroduodenoscopy). It is possible to determine the stage of the disease and the amount of damage to surrounding tissues, the presence or absence of complications.
Here is the minimum list of inspections, which must pass everyone with suspected GERD.
Differential diagnosis of GERD
The various manifestations of GERD, a disease often mistaken can be confused with other similar processes, and in very advanced cases, treatment does not correspond to the real diagnosis. How not to get lost? — you need to clearly know the features of all possible manifestations of similar diseases.
GERD or angina?
In the presence of angina to the heart not receiving sufficient oxygen as a result constantly felt pains in the chest burning character, very reminiscent of a burning sensation in GERD. But there are differences:
As not to confuse GERD with lung disease
Differencebut the diagnosis of GERD and lung disease, which can refer to bronchial asthma or aspiration pneumonia. Everything happens because of the nighttime reflux of stomach contents back into the esophagus, which sometimes reaches the bronchi. Into the respiratory tract and the gastric juice irritates the mucosa and leads to spasm of the respiratory muscles, which is manifested by attacks of breathlessness, prolonged uncontrollable coughing. That will help to know all these manifestations of the disease of the esophagus?
- Only a full study, in the first place there is daily monitoring of pH.
- Using the General analysis of blood to detect the absence of the high content of eosinophils. Those cells, the content of which increases in the presence of asthma. Pneumonia increases the level of erythrocyte sedimentation rate and white blood cells that will not be observed in the case of GERD.
- In some cases, helps spirography is the study of the function of the bronchi and consult a pulmonologist.
As not to confuse GERD with ENT diseases
To diseases of ENT organs often include laryngitis and pharyngitis (inflammation of the mucous membrane of the larynx and pharynx). For them are characteristic:
To exclude these diagnoses will help the examination of the ENT, General research methods.
Only after passing all the above methods of examination and consultations of specialists can learn what it is — the diagnosis of GERD. Under such disease see in the first place a set of symptoms (often heartburn, chest pain after eating), which can be confirmed by simple research methods, and by eliminating other similar diseases. Do not attempt to put this disease, it is better to consult the therapist or the gastroenterologist.