Gastroesophageal reflux in children: symptoms, treatment
Gastroesophageal reflux in children of early age
To understand how the disease develops in an adult much easier — it is enough to question and conduct relevant research. With children, pediatricians have a long and often unsuccessfully to bother. Especially problematic to establish the diagnosis of preschoolers.
How is gastroesophageal reflux (GER) in children? When you put such a diagnosis?
When reflux in a child is a normal phenomenon
Gastroesophageal reflux is a pathological process in which there is reflux of food contents of the stomach or initial part of the small intestine back into the esophagus.
Starting from birth, the digestive system in children is arranged in such a way that reflux is a normal manifestation of its work. Regurgitation is removed by air that enters into the stomach of the baby swallowing milk. It is a kind of protective mechanism against excessive food that can be ingested by young children. Excess food trapped in the body of a child, in fact no longer has those useful properties, which are proteins, fats or carbohydrates. Everything is in excess, not recycled long and starts to ferment, causing pain in the gut and bloating. Air, accumulate in the initial parts of the gastrointestinal tract, leads to unpleasant feelings and wellbeing of the baby. So nature invented such a physiological mechanism, as regurgitation or remove all the excess from the stomach.
Gastroesophageal reflux in children is considered normal in the first year of life. Already from the age of four months being formed all the physiological curves of the digestive system and muscle system sphincter, closing the passage in the overlying units. A year later, after birth, normal reflux, the child should not be. But in some situations, in violation of the development of one of the parts of the digestive system, they do not stop.
Diseases lead to pathological reflux
Before the birth of a child can be processes that violate the esophagus and stomach. In this case, reflux disease, after birth, is a long time in the future leads to a pathological condition that is called gastroesophageal reflux disease. What is the process?
- Developmental abnormalities of the esophagus too short esophagus, diverticula or extension of this Department of digestive system, hernia.
- The excesses of the gall bladder will cause inflammation of that organ and casting bile into the stomach.
In addition, to pathological reflux in children of all ages lead to the next state.
- Overeating – the problem is not children, and parents who want to stuff their child «useful products». Such good intentions will only cause the weakening of the lower esophageal sphincter, which can no longer withstand the onslaught of food from the stomach and stops working fully.
- Forced to prolonged and uncontrolled intake of anti-inflammatory drugs, drugs containing theophylline.
- Violation of the diet.
- Stress or frequent emotional stress lead to dysregulation of protection of the mucosa of the esophagus and stomach, can cause increased production of hydrochloric acid. Which will lead to pathological reflux.
Symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux in children
The most difficult is to identify the disease in infants and preschoolers. Manifestations are diverse and affect not only the digestive system but also other organs. Children are unable to fully describe all of the symptoms, doctors have to guess about the presence of the disease on the child’s behavior and «complaints» of the parents.
These symptoms are gastroesophageal reflux in children:
Treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease in children
The disease is difficult to diagnose, but it is not the only problem. To get rid of the reflux sometimes a lot harder. Most drugs used in adults in young children or babies not appointed. Drugs are used only under strict indications. How to get rid of gastroesophageal reflux in children? Treatment is difficult, but quite real. To therapy approach a complex.
- It is necessary to strictly regulate the power. Frequent and split meals. You can’t overfeed a baby.
- Try not to put to sleep their child, immediately after eating. Babies need a little to hold vertically for better discharge of air.
- In the treatment of this painful process, it is important to establish the cause of the development of reflux and try to resolve it.
- Of the drugs you can use proton pump inhibitors and antacids short course. To eliminate heartburn is to give preference to the alginates.
- If there is a hernia or diverticula of the esophagus, then a surgical treatment is shown.
Gastroesophageal reflux in children of early age a rare phenomenon, but in the absence of proper attention can lead to illness, which will remain forever. Therefore, when changing a child’s behavior or if he has a complaint should immediately consult a doctor.