GERD and lump in throat — causes
Why, when GERD is the feeling of a lump in my throat
Sometimes surprised by the attitude and opinion of doctors. It is possible to complain of soreness, burning and a feeling of a lump in my throat, and in response to hear that these symptoms are associated with disease of the digestive system. What does a lump in the throat and digestive system? According to any ill person a lump in my throat and heartburn, absolutely not related to each other symptoms.
But in fact even such different symptoms may be a manifestation of the same process.
As GERD is hidden behind other diseases
GERD is one of the most kontichsesteenweg diseases. Not always when starting the process, you can see the changes even on fibrogastroduodenoscopy, Yes, and the method of research is not easily drawn, since many long and hard to give it up. Another weight the process of diagnosing GERD moment — trying to hide behind atypical manifestations of diseases of the digestive system. Paradoxical symptoms of GERD include:
Thanks to these signs the diagnosis is delayed for months, irritating the doctor and the patient.
Why GERD does not develop according to plan
Why in some cases, the development of gastroesophageal reflux disease has no clear clinical symptoms, such as pneumonia or kidney stones, for example? It’s all in the reasons for the occurrence of GERD. There are two main reasons that lead to other sensations.
- Muscle weakness, which is on the border between the esophagus and stomach — the lower esophageal sphincter. Weakness of the sphincter is affected by poor diet, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and unhealthy lifestyle (e.g., exercise after meals).
- Due to disruption of sphincter develops reflux, or reflux of stomach contents into the esophagus. Resulting in hydrochloric acid gets on the mucosa of the upper digestive system, irritating it and causing inflammation. Such a negative effect the person feels a burning sensation in the chest.
If stomach contents reach the throat there is inflammation of its walls, which is manifested not only heartburn and a lump in my throat, but unusual for other classic GERD symptoms:
The person concerned about all manifestations of reflux disease:
The only thing that might give the doctor the idea that the sick person is no pharyngitis or laryngitis (inflammation of the pharynx and larynx), and GERD is a random assignment of proton pump inhibitors or antacids (drugs that normalize the acidity). Gradually, the symptoms begin to subside and completely disappear if you pass the whole course of treatment. When you cancel these drugs heartburn, lump in throat, burping again constantly and bothering people.
What diseases occur with the feeling of a lump in my throat
Feeling a lump in my throat is typical not only for gastroesophageal disease, but also for other disease processes, not always related to diseases of the digestive system.
To make a differential diagnosis, physicians should refer these patients to other specialists. Common symptoms but different diseases, which include:
Unlike the symptoms of GERD from other illnesses
In order to accurately determine the diagnosis and accurately distinguish GERD from other diseases, it is necessary to pay attention to the following points.
- Most often after eating lump in throat and heartburn is characteristic of reflux disease and esophagitis.
- Laryngitis, nervousness, and problems of the thyroid gland are not accompanied by nausea, pain in the stomach, belching after a meal.
- In endocrine pathology violation occurs the regulation of hormone levels that the person may experience frequent palpitations, depressed mood, apathy, drowsiness. The study of hormone levels and an ultrasound of the thyroid gland help to finally put a diagnosis.
- When the violation of peace of mind lump in the throat is felt during the development of serious human situations, after the psychological trauma and constant pressure from others. Such diseases are exhibited to the exclusion of other disease processes. Important here is the work of the psychologist.
- If a lump in the throat, heartburn, nausea are after correction of nutrition, lifestyle changes, or when taking antacids is the manifestation of reflux disease, such a patient should do internist and gastroenterologist.
- About esophagitis, narrowing of the esophagus or GERD is safe to say after a more accurate survey: fibrogastroduodenoscopy, x-ray examination of the esophagus.
If any of these processes, people often come to the therapist. Do not give up, at first glance, absurd methods of diagnosis, they could be decisive. Even such manifestation of GERD, such as pain in the throat takes a lot of trouble, if you treat it by mistake will be a ENT doctor and not a gastroenterologist. A timely appeal to the specialist will solve many problems.