GERD in children: causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment
The symptoms and treatment of GERD in children
Many people mistakenly believe that reflux disease is a disease of the esophagus, which develops only in adults.
This is not surprising because children often watch their parents, trying to teach them the correct routine, timely, and balanced diet. But despite the efforts of adults, doctors often diagnose GERD in children.
Causes of GERD in children
The reasons for the development of the disease process in many respects similar to those in adults. We must not forget that a teenager of 16-18 years on the structure and functioning of the internal organs are already fully formed and adult. So, what a painful process it flow the same way as in adults.
Why children have GERD?
- In infants toddlers and preschoolers most often reflux disease caused due to hereditary predisposition or malformations of the digestive system, which include: congenital short esophagus, a hiatal hernia of the diaphragm, deformation of the stomach.
- GERD the child develops, as the mother during pregnancy and lactation misbehave: Smoking, drinking alcohol and corrosive to the esophagus beverages, violation of the mode of feeding.
- Since birth, the pediatricians recommend to consume only balanced food for lactating mothers and the feeding babies to enter in a timely manner, gradually accustoming children to high-quality and wholesome food. But unfortunately, not all parents hold such views, and a mom or grandmother, wanting to prove his gentle and reverent attitude, trying to overfeed their child. For this reason, children develop obesity, which is another step in the development of GERD.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease in children may appear due to insufficient attention of parents. When teenagers are left to themselves, and their food is far from perfect. Favorite food of teenagers — crisps, fizzy drinks, sweets and products from fast food. They don’t just affect the lower esophageal sphincter, they violate the work of all organs of digestion.
- Constipation lead to the development of GERD in infants and preschool children. Constipation toddlers straining during bowel movements and sitting for long on the potty. While long sitting on the pot and excessive tension, lead to an increase in intra-abdominal pressure, weakens the sphincter.
What are the possible symptoms to identify GERD in children
Not only kids it is difficult to detect the disease, older children often hide their problems from parents, promoting the translation of disease into a chronic one. But attentive parents can notice the change in the behavior of his child. On reflux disease in children is indicated by the following symptoms:
It should be noted that if the GERD is an acquired process, the symptoms in children appear gradually.
Diagnosis of GERD in children
If you do not notice the changed behavior of the child and to ignore his «burning issue», there is a danger to bring reflux disease until complications with which to fight harder. Therefore, the diagnosis of GERD in children needs to be timely.
What research you need to conduct?
- You should start with the usual trip to the pediatrician and detailed exposition of all that concerned. Diagnosis is important not only the usual complaints, but every detail in the behavior of a son or daughter.
- Of the specific research methods necessary to undergo endoscopic examination of the esophagus and stomach — EGD (fibrogastroduodenoscopy), whereby it is possible to detect the malfunction of the esophageal sphincter, some anatomical features of the digestive system.
- Radiographic contrast study will help to detect the presence of a hernia, narrowing of the esophagus and the violation of the evacuation ability of the stomach. This is a simple and informative method.
- Daily monitoring vnutrimyshechnogo pH. This study changes the acidity level of the esophagus can be crucial in the diagnosis of GERD at any age.
Treatment of GERD in children can take place in the home, is not required hospitalization and carrying out specific procedures. It is important to remember that treatment is a long process that requires patience.
- If an infant or preschooler, then first teach the parents of the baby, the correct behavior during and after feeding: do not overfeed children, within 10-15 minutes after a meal to keep vertically for the discharge of air.
- Pediatricians recommend the use of antireflux mixtures which contribute to the thickening of the food and thereby prevent the regurgitation, reduce the amount of reflux. To use them you need a full examination and establish the cause of the disease. Enter them in the diet should be gradual and only after consulting with your doctor.
- An important point in the treatment of any disease of the digestive system — proper diet. Diet for GERD in children retains all the principles: frequent smaller meals, with the exception spicy and fried, overly greasy food, not allowed to eat before bedtime, after a meal, can not exercise, lie down, or bend over a treatment period of severely restricted sweets, carbonated drinks are excluded.
- Prevention of exacerbations may also be limited to dietary recommendations.
- Treatment of reflux disease involves the use of drug therapy. Appointed by blockers of the proton pump, antacids, prokinetics need modern and antagonists of H2-receptors. Apply symptomatic therapy is indicated.
- Malformations of the digestive system are corrected surgically.
GERD in child this is one of those processes that should not be missed in childhood. Timely treatment to the doctor will save you from the troubles of children and parents.