GERD symptoms: the classical, nonspecific
Symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease
This disease, as gastroezofagealnaya reflux disease, can deliver a lot of trouble to the patient, including a change in health. Symptoms of GERD are so cleverly hidden behind similar manifestations of other pathologies that only professionals recognize the disease.
But as they say, the enemy must know in person, so today will be a full list of the possible symptoms of GERD. This will help not only well-versed in this disease, but also to understand the necessity of certain appointments and action by health workers.
The classic symptoms of GERD
The disease has diverse manifestations, but among them are most common:
Each symptom is variable depending on sensitivity of the organism and the characteristics of the disease. Let’s look at them in more detail.
Symptoms of heartburn
A burning sensation behind the breastbone is a symptom of many diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, and particular symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease not carry it. But heartburn in GERD has some peculiarities.
- Heartburn sometimes lasts for the whole day, only occasionally can vary its intensity.
- Burning pain often worse after some time after a meal or at night, especially after a heavy and late dinner.
- Another important symptom of heartburn in GERD — it appears after changes in body position, bending forward and down the supine position. This is due to the facilitation of the ingress of gastric contents into the esophagus (the emergence of the so-called reflux). At night, the pain intensified, as there is almost no flow of saliva, which can reduce the effect of gastric juice on the mucous membrane of the esophagus.
A person suffering from GERD often complain of feeling pain in the region of the esophagus. Here, too, we note some specific manifestations of the symptom.
- Pains contractive, or pressing character.
- They appear in the oesophagus, and may be given up and left.
- Occur retrosternal pain during eating or immediately after a heavy meal, when bending the torso.
- Pass a few minutes later after taking antacids.
This symptom is caused by spasm of the muscles of the esophagus.
Symptom exacerbation is considered GERD and dysphagia. She takes the third place by frequency of occurrence in this disease.
Dysphagia is a violation of act of swallowing. The basis of dysphagia lies an obstacle (anatomic or physiologic) to the passage of food through the esophagus.
In this case, this symptom follows from the previous one. The appearance of spasms of the muscle wall of the esophagus is hampered by the promotion of any food, even semi-liquid.
Additional symptoms of GERD
We can highlight several additional manifestations of GERD.
- Belching sour.
- The morning bitterness in the mouth. It is due to nocturnal reflux of bile into the esophagus.
- The emergence of «gastric» symptoms in GERD: satiation, bloating in the epigastrium (the place of projection of the stomach), paterniani and vomiting.
Nonspecific manifestations of GERD
Without special methods of research, it is difficult to guess the presence of this pathology. Plus GERD is a tricky disease that is often hidden behind the masks of other equally serious disorders in the body.
- Otolaryngological manifestations. Night the contents of the stomach sometimes flow into the larynx. Thus there is rough barking cough, sore throat and hoarseness.
- As already mentioned, retrosternal burning pain radiating up and to the left is one of the most specific symptoms of GERD. Such a complaint, the patient often comes to the cardiologist, not realizing that a heart problem had not. However, this symptom is typical for such diseases as angina (the appearance of compressive pain in the heart, due to a lack of oxygen to the heart muscle). In contrast to GERD angina pain stopped drugs from the group of nitrates. Elderly patients are not excluded for two diseases simultaneously, which often confuses the doctors.
- Some patients with GERD Wake up at night from coughing. It starts simultaneously with reflux of acid stomach contents into the esophagus and is accompanied by heartburn. The penetration of gastric juice in the bronchi leads to bronchoconstriction, as there are numerous attacks of breathlessness (feeling of shortage of air). This pulmonary manifestation of GERD is typical for people in middle and old age.
No matter how treacherous was not the disease, it is always possible to recognize. But gastroesophageal reflux disease in its manifestations than many. So, don’t try to diagnose myself alone, finally it is possible to learn only after proper examination and consultations of specialists.