GERD: what is it, causes of disease
Causes of GERD — gastroesophageal reflux disease
Gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD is more often heard with the announcement of the diagnosis by General practitioners or gastroenterologists.
And, although the incidence in some countries is only 5%, the issue is relevant because the main symptom of this condition is a frequent and severe heartburn.
When billed with a diagnosis of GERD and what is it? Will try today to figure out what to do with this problem.
Clinical manifestations of GERD
Under this concept implies a complex of symptoms that occur as a result of pathological reflux of stomach contents back into the esophagus, while there may not be changes in the mucous membrane of the esophagus, but often those are. As for symptoms, they include the following symptoms.
Heartburn. This symptom is not always associated with food intake, during the day the intensity of the manifestations of change. The burning sensation often occurs at night or 1-2 hours after a heavy meal.
- In addition, people are constantly, throughout the day bothers sour belching. After a bit of snacking there is a rapid saturation, bloating, heaviness in the epigastrium, nausea, and many noted the appearance of vomit.
- No less important symptom of GERD after heartburn is a pain behind the breastbone. They arise in the course of the esophagus, more oppressive and constricting in nature, radiating up and to the left. That is why they are often confused with heart disease.
The causes of GERD
The disease can cause as individual factors, so many causes acting together. The most famous of these following reasons.
- The decrease in functional activity of the lower esophageal sphincter. This muscle, located on the border of esophagus and stomach. In the normal passage of food after it closes. Malnutrition and behavior may be the beginning of the defeat of the closing capacity of the muscles.
- With the failure of the sphincter food together with the contents of the stomach into the esophagus, damaging its mucous membrane, leading to its inflammation.
- Also GERD causes a violation of gastric emptying what happens if we reduce its escape ability.
- Inhibition of the protective function of the mucosa of the esophagus.
- Not the last role in development of GERD plays an indicator such as clearance. Is the ability of the pH of the esophagus during a certain time to return to normal levels for this part of the digestive system (neutral or slightly alkaline, after the reflux of hydrochloric acid, it becomes acidic, which is unacceptable for the functioning of the mucous membrane).
Basically GERD is a syndrome with multiple causative factors. He can begin, both independently and against the background of already existing lesions:
Which leads to GERD
Contributing moments in the development of symptoms of GERD:
The emergence of gastroesophageal reflux disease is largely influenced by lifestyle and nutrition. And the disease is, at first glance, it seems not a nuisance, flows easily and can pass on their own. Therefore, the manifestations of the disease, many are careless and do not want to change their eating habits and everyday behavior.
But it is not, GERD is a severe and can significantly impair quality of life, so at the first signs is fully examined.