Laryngopharyngeal reflux, itchy throat and cough
Itchy throat and cough when laryngopharyngeal reflux
Natalia asks the doctor.
Hello, Olga! That’s my problem. In June of last year I started itching in the throat, followed by cough. Occurs during a conversation, a SIP of water from any food and for no reason — just sitting and suddenly feel the growing itch deep in the throat and immediately begins coughing frothy transparent mucus. It started after I in June for about three weeks, began to pepper the vegetables. Already beginning to cough, but another week has peppered and coughing. Very very stupid! Since then one and different antibiotics, and rinsing and inhalation. Was at the pulmonologist (normal), Laura — chronic pharyngitis, did x-rays (normal), blood tests (normal), sputum analysis for the mushrooms (normally). Was assigned therapist gastroscopy — signs of a single venous nodes of the esophagus, cardia failure, chronic gastroduodenitis. Did abdominal ultrasound signs of diffuse changes of a liver, pancreas, chronic cholecystitis, biliary dyskinesia. After all examinations gastroenterologist recommended me the following: diet, «Amanara» 20 mg 1 tablet 2 times a day fasting morning and evening before meals for 4 weeks. «Ursosan» 250 mg, 2 capsules at night for 4 weeks. «Micrasim» on 1 capsule 2 times daily during meals for 4 weeks. «Ganaton» — 1 tablet 2 times a day before meals for 4 weeks. solution «Heptral» 400 mg intramuscularly 1 time a day for 10 days; drink plenty of water. I got better and the first week of treatment the cough was not at all. However, I developed severe hives from Ursosan. After a week again. Again, this itchy throat and painful cough (as I write this message four times already stopped due to cough). The night almost didn’t sleep. Maybe you can help me with advice and recommendations? Thank you.
The answer of the doctor Natalia
Therapy you matched correctly. Almost all possible things into account. I can recommend only a few changes, perhaps this will help you.
- Talk with your doctor about the need to increase dosage of some drugs and increase treatment («Manera» and medicines of this group — when GERD is sometimes recommended to take their long course of not less than three months).
- Additionally, discuss the need for sedatives. It happens that due to the specific reaction of the nervous system produces too much hydrochloric acid, which leads to increased symptoms.
In addition to strict diet at the time of exacerbation of the disease need to be aware of some changes in lifestyle.
- Don’t go to sleep or to relax immediately after a meal within 30 minutes.
- Don’t wear tight, tight clothes or belt that contribute to the exacerbation of the GERD.
- Do not overeat, eat often and little. During the feasts always carry enzyme preparations.
- After a meal don’t need to bend down, run or even engage in light sports, this creates an additional burden on a weakened lower esophageal sphincter. His weakness is the cause of reflux of stomach contents into the esophagus that a person feels in the form of a burning sensation behind the breastbone, pain in the throat.
- If constipated, take additional medication to prevent them, is another factor in the worsening of the disease.