Ulcer of the esophagus: causes, symptoms, treatment, diet
Peptic ulcer of the esophagus
Pain in the chest — one of the most common symptoms of coronary heart disease. Annually from this disease in the world die more than 25% of people. But few people know that painful feeling in the chest are for diseases of the esophagus. The symptoms are very similar, and the treatment time lasts much less and often does not require an emergency response.
Such processes are a peptic ulcer of the esophagus. This is a disease that is easily treatable when you remove the main causes of its appearance! And correctly picked up therapy will help to avoid unpleasant complications.
What is a peptic ulcer and causes of its occurrence
A peptic ulcer is a deep lesion of the mucous membrane of the esophagus as a result of acute or chronic exposure to chemical factors. These include:
Disease of the digestive system accompanied by increased secretion of hydrochloric acid. These include primarily the GERD. This is the most common cause of chronic peptic ulcers. Gastroesophageal reflux disease is accompanied by not only the abundance of hydrochloric acid, when it still disrupted lower esophageal sphincter (the muscle located on the border of the esophagus and stomach, which normally closes when the flow in the gastrointestinal tract of food). Due to the weakening of this muscles round the hydrochloric acid falls in the upper digestive tract — in the esophagus. Constant exposure to hydrochloric acid on the mucous membranes causes burns. First appear erosion — surface defects. Then, if the acid continues to penetrate the esophagus, the formation of deeper tissue changes.
Ulcerative process affects the lower third of the body, in rare cases, ulcers appear at a higher level, what happens in case of poisoning and the use of strong chemicals. It can be single or multiple mucosal defects.
Symptoms of ulcers of the esophagus and diagnosis
All manifestations ulcers of the esophagus depend on the causes of the disease. If the process is reflux disease — the emergence of the main problems is preceded by heartburn, which increases after meals and in violation of the diet. Thus, the esophagus signals the uncomfortable conditions to the detriment of his work. Normal pH of the esophagus is alkaline, the hydrochloric acid of the stomach destroys the natural protective barrier of the body. So when a long exposure is formed ulcers.
What are the symptoms of ulcer of the esophagus?
- Chest pain often burning in nature. Bothering after a meal. Often people complain of night pain or after a minor load, perfect on a full stomach. How to understand that pain coming from the esophagus? They are almost always related to diet or appear during prolonged starvation (in such moments have stood by the gastric juice, and hydrochloric acid effect on the esophagus).
- Possible symptoms such as dyspepsia, belching and sour regurgitation.
There are silent forms of ulcer of the esophagus, symptoms are lacking. Only occasionally person concerned heartburn when bending of the torso and in the supine position (in points of contact of gastric contents into the esophagus). The disease often lies behind the manifestations of other disease processes. When it come first symptoms of other illnesses.
Ulcer of the esophagus is difficult to diagnose because of similar clinical symptoms with other painful processes. As already mentioned, a pain reminiscent of the defeat of the cardiovascular system, so people often come to the cardiologist. And only having found no disorders of the heart, the physician directs the study of the digestive system. The most informative methods of diagnostics:
Treatment of ulcers of the esophagus
If the earlier treatment of ulcers of the esophagus was performed only in hospitals, at the present time all depends on the size of the lesion. Profound and multiple defects as well as complicated by ulcerative processes are treated in hospital. In other cases, therapy is prescribed on an outpatient basis.
- Crucial role in getting rid of ailment belongs to food. Ulcer of the esophagus for the entire period of treatment prescribed a strict diet with total elimination of all the products, resulting in increased levels of hydrochloric acid. Is alcohol, spicy and smoked foods, fried and fatty foods. Diet for ulcers of the esophagus includes a gentle power. The preference for boiled and stewed dishes, temporarily excluded raw vegetables and fruits, not to create additional load on the lining of the esophagus.
- Drug therapy depends on the cause of the disease in the first place to treat her. If it is GERD, stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer, the lesions of the gallbladder or pancreas — therapy aimed primarily at removing these processes.
- Otherwise, symptomatic treatment: prescribed antacids and alginates to reduce the level of acid, bismuth preparations, proton pump inhibitors to normalize the glands and reduce inflammation. Improve functioning of the lower esophageal sphincter, prescribing prokinetics. For severe pain use the pain killers.
Sometimes patients with constant chest pain in need of more in-depth study than just electrocardiogram and common tests. The symptoms can be a manifestation of ulcers of the esophagus, and high-quality treatment depends on how quickly the conducted diagnostics. Paying attention to such things as the time of occurrence of the burning pains can be difficult time to make the correct diagnosis, but also to save people from the painful symptoms.