Abortion in the later stages
Termination of pregnancy in late terms – shocking procedure regardless of the reason why the woman decided on her. It is not only the physical pain experienced by a woman at the time of removal of the fruit, but also severe emotional trauma, which remains in memory for a lifetime.
Understanding the real implications for physical health and psyche, for such a procedure is resorted to only in cases of emergency, both women and doctors. Modern society has a negative attitude toward abortion in the later period, as the procedure is barbaric and unprincipled: it’s not just the removal of the ovum, and already formed a little man with a living soul.
Diagnosis of the organism, prior to the abortion
Abortion in the later stages in most cases is due to medical reasons.
If in early pregnancy (before 12 weeks) abortion produced only at the request of the woman, in the later period, the gynecologist rarely decided on the surgery without the appropriate evidence and supporting documents.
In complex diagnostic activities include:
- inspection on the gynecological chair;
- smears from the vagina, cervix and urethra;
- a bacteriological swab of the cervical canal;
- General and biochemical blood tests;
- antibodies to hepatitis b, HIV infection;
- a blood test for syphilis;
- determination of blood group and RH factor;
- chest x-ray (FOG);
- ultrasound examination of small pelvis;
- the consultation;
- consultations of related specialists, which is abnormal development of the fetus or disease of the mother.
A special Commission, consisting of the gynecologist observing the woman from the beginning of pregnancy, related professionals and the chief physician, decide on the termination of a pregnancy after a full medical history of the patient. The Commission also decides what type of abortion will be made in each case make a choice in favor of the least traumatic both for the mother and fetus.
After learning the causes of abortion, the data of inspection of the woman’s body, the diagnosis in the absence of contraindications, the Commission shall issue a permit to an abortion and directs the patient to a medical facility.
To 22 weeks of pregnancy, its interruption is carried out in abortion clinics located in the gynecological Department of the medical institution. Over 22 weeks, surgical intervention is made only in the obstetric patient.
Abortion late-term – is always a risk not only for the reproductive health of women, but also a real threat to life.
Reasons for late abortion
The main reasons why women decide to terminate a pregnancy in the later period, include:
- medical indications: severe fetal abnormality or disease of the mother, threatening her health and life;
- social indications: termination of parental rights, pregnancy resulting from rape, women stay in prison, the disabilities of I-II groups at the husband or his death during pregnancy.
The question of the possibility of interruption of pregnancy on term of 12 to 22 weeks is solved by the expert panel. Only one woman’s abortion at this time is not done. After 22 weeks, abortions are not carried out. In this case the born child is considered a newborn, and he needs special care and medical assistance.
Read more about causes of abortion in the later period:
- Anomalies of fetal development, hereditary genetic diseases, chromosomal abnormalities are a major cause of abortion in the later term. The decision to terminate the pregnancy in this case is caused by hopelessness women before an incurable disease, which will make future child disabled for life. The lack of support from loved ones and even more state pushing a woman to the decision.
- Viral infections, transferred in early pregnancy may also become the reason of disability of the child. A special danger to the fetus are diseases such as rubella, toxoplasmosis, hepatitis, AIDS and others. Bacterial infection is no less dangerous, including antibiotic therapy, assigned to eliminate them.
- The sinking of the fetus (regressing pregnancy) at any time is a direct indication for its interruption. This pathological phenomenon is very dangerous for life. The risk of sepsis and bleeding requires immediate extraction of the dead fetus from the uterus.
- Mental illness is diagnosed in a pregnant woman, can cause late abortion in the later period in the case of the complete inadequacy of the mother or of lack of support from relatives.
- Rape as a reason for abortion late term. In rare cases, the woman decides to keep the baby.
- The decision on the termination of a pregnancy at a late period can be caused by adverse social conditions for the future baby. These include: the stay of women in places of deprivation of liberty, deprivation of the parental rights of the mother, the death of the father of the child and other circumstances.
Despite these reasons, many women only as a last resort decide to have an abortion in the later term. Support from loved ones helps to avoid fatal mistakes in most cases.
The methods of abortion for late-term
After 12 weeks, abortion is considered late. The maximum term for abortion is 22 weeks.
Abortion can be medical or instrumental:
- The introduction of hypertonic solutions. A solution of sodium chloride or glucose (20%) is introduced through the vagina using a special sterile tube, on the end of which is an expander with a beveled edge. Inside the tube there is a metal rod that replaces with the introduction of the puncture needle. After puncture of the amniotic bubble of amniotic fluid is removed and injected saline solution (sodium chloride). Its volume depends on the duration of pregnancy (6 ml per week). If you have the echo confirmed the proximity of the placenta to the anterior wall of the uterus, the same solution was injected through a puncture of the abdominal cavity. Fetal death occurs as a result of chemical burns, brain hemorrhage or dehydration.
- Introduction in the cervical channel sticks of seaweed (kelp) a day before the scheduled abortion contributes to the expansion of the cervix by increasing their size the absorption of amniotic fluid.
- The expansion of the cervical canal with hegar’s dilators are used from 15 to 28 week of pregnancy. The higher the gestational age, the greater the number of tools will be used for expansion of the cervix. After expansion of the cervix and the opening of the amniotic SAC using forceps, Muso removing the fetus by the legs. This method is very traumatic, time-consuming, threatens to breakdown and secondary infection. To reduce the injury of the uterus, the neck of the child makes an incision and inserts a tube that is inserted deep into the skull of the child. Then use the vacuum sucks out the brain. As a result of manipulation of the head is reduced in size and passes freely through the vagina.
Any method of abortion in late-term truly shocking not for faint-hearted people. However, even not seeing the horror of what is happening, a severe mental shock a woman experiences for a long time.
Abortion in the later term threatens the development of various complications:
- infection of the wound surface by pathogenic flora;
- infection of the ovaries and fallopian tubes (salpingitis and oophoritis);
- adhesions in the reproductive and neighbouring organs;
- the development of sepsis;
- uterine bleeding;
- rupture of the cervix;
- perforation of the uterus;
- clotting of blood vessels;
- pulmonary embolism;
- incomplete removal of the placenta or parts of the fetus;
- the disruption of the natural hormonal;
- miscarriage in the future;
- severe psychological trauma.
To minimize the risk of complications, it is necessary not only to choose a professional technician to abortion, but to comply with his recommendations in the postoperative period:
- full sexual hygiene;
- the lack of sexual activity before full healing of the wound surface;
- bed rest to restore the body after surgery;
- a ban on lifting weights;
- antibacterial and anti-inflammatory therapy prescribed by the attending physician;
- regular visits to the gynecologist;
- consultation with a psychologist (psychotherapist);
- consultations of related specialists observe the woman during pregnancy;
- urgent appeal for qualified help in a medical facility when any alarming symptoms;
- adequate contraception after the abortion.
Despite the reason why the woman decided on late-term abortion, you need to understand the danger of ongoing manipulations. Of course, there are situations when a woman is hard to make the right choice, but much harder to reap the rewards of a fatal error. Preventing unintended pregnancies through contraception reduce the sad statistics of abortion at any term.