Anovulatory cycle — what it is and its symptoms
Anovulatory cycle in women is a pathological condition in which the menstrual cycle is ovulation and it does not pass the phase of formation of the corpus luteum. It is a hormonal disorder in which the follicles grow but do not leave the ovary. Menstrual bleeding preserved.
Monthly cycle and the causes of lack of menstruation
In a normal month a woman’s cycle lasts 21 to 35 days. During this time the body undergoes changes controlled by the brain. Occur gradual changes in the uterus and the ovaries, control the pituitary and hypothalamus. The monthly cycle includes the processes in the ovaries and in the uterus. The ovaries are responsible for the formation of the egg and the uterus prepares for fertilization and adoption pregnancy.
The menstrual cycle consists of three phases:
- Follicular: uterus rejected the mucous membrane, and begin to Mature follicles in the ovaries.
- Ovulation: follicle ruptures and releases the cell that is ready in the fallopian tube to meet the sperm.
- Luteal: formed a yellow body, and the uterus being coated with a layer conducive to pregnancy.
If pregnancy does not occur, the egg, the follicle with the yellow body and the inner layer of the uterus, the endometrium is discharged along with bleeding.
The cycle in which no ovulation is called anovulatory. Anovulatory cycles may be physiological — during or age-related hormonal alterations in the body. In other periods, anovulatory cycle is is considered a disease.
- Dysfunctions in the regulation of the hypothalamus-pituitary.
- Ovarian dysfunction, other ovarian pathology. Polikistoz, ovarian cysts.
- Inflammatory diseases of the female organs. For example, adnexitis.
- Irregularities in the thyroid gland.
- Infection of the urogenital area.
- Neuro-mental strain, stress.
- A hereditary disease. These include congenital abnormalities of the adrenal glands, the ovaries.
- Obesity in women can lead to disruption in the production of oestrogen. Amid the increased formation of estrogens often found anovulation.
Anovulatory the state of not always indicates the presence of severe pathologies. Anovulation may be a temporary reaction of the body during emotional experiences, stress, change of climate. Physiological anovulation during adolescence, pregnancy, lactation, menopause are the norm. In healthy women in reproductive age may be 1 – 2 anovulatory cycles a year. With age, the number of cycles without ovulation increases.
Symptoms of anovulation
Anovulatory cycle does not exclude the presence of menstruation. But they can be irregular. Possible prolongation of the interval between menstrual bleeding or complete cessation of menstruation. The bleeding itself can be scarce. Anovulation due to disorders in the ovaries are accompanied by obesity, excessive hairiness, acne. You may receive the breast.
Diagnosis of anovulation
In medicine, there are a variety of methods to diagnose the disease. The measurement of basal body temperature confirms incomplete menstrual cycle. Ultrasound examination helps to confirm the absence of matured follicle. The study of the hormonal composition of the blood can confirm the abnormalities in hormonal function. If necessary, conducted diagnostic curettage, MRI, skull x-ray.
The treatment of the disease
Is medical treatment of hormonal drugs, depending on the violations.
Treatment aims to induce ovulation and to eliminate infertility.
Appointed as electrical stimulation of the cervix, the hypothalamic-pituitary region.
If a positive outcome is possible to achieve pregnancy.
Prevention of anovulation
To prevent disease it is recommended that considerable attention be paid to women’s health in the period of maturation, proper rest, nutrition, the exclusion of infectious lesions and chronic diseases of the female organs.