Colposcopy of the cervix during pregnancy — is it possible
Colposcopy during pregnancy is one of the diagnostic tests, which are administered in the waiting period of the child. It is carried out in the presence of certain indications. Therefore, women are interested in how colposcopy is performed, whether specialized training and whether it is dangerous to the fetus.
What it is
Under colposcopy understand the diagnostic procedure using a special instrument called a colposcope. With the latest inspect under multiple magnification (up to 40x) the mucous membranes of the vagina and cervix. The device has a special light that allows you to see dark areas and small vessels.
There are 2 types of colposcopy:
- Simple. In such procedure, special medications are used;
- Extended. The doctor will conduct specialized tests with drugs in order to clarify whether changes in mucous membranes, as well as their character.
With the help of the colposcope is a fence material. Latest get for studies of cell and tissue composition.
Colposcopy is considered sufficiently accurate and safe method for the diagnosis of gynecological pathology.
The study required if you were previously revealed erosion of the cervix. Most doctors appoints colposcopy all women. This is due to the fact that some women not planning to conceive a child and not examined. During the period of gestation, the immune system becomes weakened, leading to progression are not diagnosed until fertilization gynecological diseases.
Colposcopy has no adverse effect on the child.
Indications and contraindications
Colposcopy during pregnancy is carried out after the gynecological examination and the results of smears on flora and a Cytology. Diagnostic method allows to detect even minor changes in cells and tissues, helps in the short term clarify the diagnosis and begin treatment.
A number of States in the period of carrying a child requires attention. To such pathological conditions include:
- Erosion of the cervix;
- Dysplasia (a precancerous condition);
- Malignant processes;
- Polyps of the cervix.
Recommend colposcopy if pathology is accompanied by:
- Burning and itching in the genital area;
- Bloody discharge and pain during sexual intercourse and after them;
- Rash on the genitals;
- Aching in the lower abdomen;
- The appearance of unusual discharge from the genital tract.
Contraindications for study no. But if there is the threat of termination of pregnancy, colposcopy can be postponed for some time. When the spotting will stop, and the tone of the uterus is normalized, the diagnostic procedure is performed.
When carried out
Colposcopy during pregnancy often occurs in the first trimester. This typically occurs when the statement on the account in female consultation or soon thereafter. Sometimes the procedure is performed again at a later time. It is prescribed at 30 – 32 weeks for the purpose of conducting the examination before the birth of the child. In such clinical cases, a colposcopy is performed if the results of the previous surveys was discovered pathological changes.
Preparation for the procedure
Specialized training colposcopy during pregnancy requires. It is necessary to refuse from sex for 2 – 4 days before the study. A few days before the execution manipulation is not necessary to use vaginal tablets and creams, douching to carry out. 2 – 3 days before the doctor’s visit is recommended for personal hygiene warm water without soap.
When colposcopy is performed not pregnant, it is important that the manipulation was carried out in the absence of menstruation. Special requirements to the period of the cycle. Usually doctors recommend to do the manipulation for about 5 – 7 days or 14 to 16 day cycle when in the cervical canal and cervix have many of mucous secretions.
The procedure is similar to the usual gynecological examination with mirrors, but the doctor performs additional manipulations. Approximately 10 to 15 centimeters from the entrance to the vagina specialist sets the colposcope with a lighting system and carefully under strong optical zoom, inspects mucous membranes. A swab is taken with subsequent cytological examination of material. If colposcopy is simple, at this stage, the procedure ends.
When there is a suspicion of precancerous state, colposcopy of the cervix during pregnancy should be enhanced. While performing:
- The sample with acetic acid. The cervix is treated with acetic acid (usually take 3% solution), which is not rubbed into the fabric and soaked with a cotton ball. Under the influence of vinegar epithelium swells, the blood vessels dry up and become visible. This reaction is considered normal and lasts for 3 – 4 minutes. When the mucosa has atypical cells, blood vessels in these areas is not spazmiruyutsya and remain visible for specialist. This indicates neoplasia (degeneration of cells) with possible development of cancer in the future;
- Sample Schiller. Introduced into the vagina 10 to 15 milliliters of Lugol’s solution, in which the neck needs to immerse themselves. Also it is possible to treat the cervix with Lugol solution with glycerin. A minute later the solution is removed, the neck is re-dried and carefully inspected. Normal epithelial cells contain glycogen, which absorbs iodine and it becomes dark brown. When there is any pathological change, the amount of glycogen is reduced, and the color of the cell changes little or remains the same. This test is not carried out for women with intolerance to iodine.
If necessary, biopsy — fence material of the most abnormal areas of the vagina, the cervical canal. A small piece of tissue the size of a few millimetres tested in the laboratory under a powerful microscope. This allows you to evaluate the cellular composition and accurate diagnosis.
Within a few hours after the colposcopy, the woman may experience a mild pulling pain in the abdomen. In the first days after the manipulation there is little bleeding from the genital tract.
For 4 days it is important to abstain from sex. It is not necessary to use different drugs, which require introduction into the vagina.
Colposcopy: if it hurts
Some women believe that the study will be quite unpleasant. In fact, the location of the colposcope near the vagina and treatment of mucous does not cause pain. The application of acetic acid may burning or slight tingling sensation. These sensations usually last only a few seconds.
Discomfort can be caused only by the introduction of the mirror for a pelvic examination. Of great importance is the emotional state of the patient. If a woman is afraid of the procedure and pre-configured to pain, it’s likely to be their experience. Therefore before the study and during it is recommended to relax to reduce the unpleasant sensation of colposcopy.
Pregnancy after the procedure
It is recommended to plan conception after treatment of the existing pathology. This approach allows to avoid complications during gestation, childbirth and also prevent various disorders of the development of the child.
The colposcopy does not affect subsequent pregnancy. On the contrary, this procedure will help in the future give birth to a healthy baby.
Also, a colposcopy is performed before IVF. It is necessary to exclude gynaecological pathology and to evaluate the possibility of physiological labour. IVF may be contraindicated in the detection of cervical cancer or dysplasia.
If the scheduled colposcopy during pregnancy
This study is assigned to the waiting period, the child only if there is testimony to it. The procedure is safe for the woman and fetus. Colposcopy helps to identify gynaecological pathology and to begin her therapy.