Discharge after childbirth: norm and deviations
Discharge after delivery called lachemi are an important indicator of female reproductive system during the recovery period. Postnatal discharge – individual criterion for each woman, however, in gynecological practice are the norm, testifying to the natural physiological processes. Postnatal diagnosis using a visual, instrumental and laboratory techniques enables the gynecologist to examine the character of the lochia and to assess the degree of purification of the uterus after natural childbirth and surgical intervention (cesarean section).
Recovery after natural childbirth
How long discharge after childbirth, tells the attending physician to each patient at discharge from the hospital so she could watch the restoration of the reproductive system. Knowing how many are lochia after childbirth is normal, do not worry regarding the physiological updates of the uterine lining and heal the wound. How long discharge after delivery, and what should be their character, and the main questions asked by women at the first consultation by a gynecologist since the birth of the child.
Normal discharge after birth have a life expectancy of 5 to 7 weeks. However, the deviation in 1 week in the big or smaller party is a valid phenomenon. Statistics indicate that the recovery of the endometrium in most cases observed for 6 weeks. Highlight up to 6 weeks after childbirth is not considered as the menstrual.
The first menstruation usually occurs 2 months after oocyte maturation in the absence of breast type of feeding.
Postnatal discharge change color, consistency and volume as the restoration of the mucous layer, muscle tone, of the former size of the uterus. The complete absence of lochia indicates the completion of the process of recovery after childbirth.
|Duration time (day)||Character||Color||The smell|
|1 – 5||Rich||Bright red (scarlet)||Blood|
|6 – 10||Less abundant||Dark, brownish tint||Blood|
|11 – 15||Sukrovichnye||Light pink or yellowish (the contents of lymph)||Sweet smell of blood|
|16 – 30||Minor spotting||Light||Natural vaginal secretions|
Which indicates a deviation from the norm
If the discharge continues beyond the period of gynecology has changed their color, smell, consistency, the consultation of a gynecologist is mandatory:
- Of bleeding after birth, more than two months. Does not always indicate pathology. It is possible to restore the mucosa requires a longer period. However, this situation is disturbing and requires additional ultrasound examination of the uterine cavity to confirm the absence of blood clots, a cluster of particles of the endometrium and the placenta. Red selection suppose only in the first days after delivery, in the later period, the colors changed to brown. Brown discharge after birth appear not earlier than in 2 weeks. Threat signal is increased secretion mixed with blood in 2 months.
- The content of mucus is a valid phenomenon in spotting. Mucus after giving birth indicate incomplete cleaning of the inner layer of the uterus. After 3 weeks after delivery of gelatinous precipitates should not be.
- Allocation after birth with an unpleasant odor is a terrible signal, confirming the accession of pathogenic flora. Smelly yellow discharge after birth, indicative of the presence of pus in the blood, which is secreted from the infected wound (uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries, cervix, vagina). To ignore this fact unacceptable: the risk of sepsis increases significantly. The smell of rotten fish is often evidence of infection with Trichomonas or Gardnerella. Thus you observe green discharge after childbirth. Antibacterial therapy in early pregnancy will prevent complications and post-partum cleansing. White discharge after childbirth with a sour cheese smell – a striking confirmation of the vaginal candidiasis or yeast vaginitis requiring antifungal drugs.
The recovery period after the operation “cesarean section” lasts somewhat longer than with a natural delivery (in a week or two). But in most cases occur before 6 weeks after labor. The rehabilitation period differs little from the above.
Discharge after cesarean in case complications differ from the natural. As well as deteriorating General condition.
The deviation from the norm indicate:
- renewed al allocation in large quantity;
- purulent discharge after childbirth (green) that unpleasant smell;
- allocation appeared again after 3 months;
- vaginal secretions become watery or white;
- the secretion is excreted in a small volume;
- clots of dried blood;
- raised body temperature;
- plummeted blood pressure;
- pale skin;
- violation of urination;
- thirst for a long time;
- expressed pain in the lower abdomen, the lumbar;
- itching and redness of the genitals, of stitches.
After delivery by surgery parous women sometimes bleed black. In most cases this is harmless and occurs due to hormonal changes caused by labor. Smear and blood will scatter all doubts.
Normal discharge after childbirth go through 6 weeks. During this period the uterus is cleaned completely. To eliminate vaginal discharge with an unpleasant putrid odor, you need to visit a doctor in case of any disturbing symptoms, and follow his recommendations:
- sex after childbirth is allowed only after complete healing of the wound surface (security – at least 2 months);
- condom use in the postpartum period will reduce the risk of infection;
- full sexual hygiene prevents complications change the natural microbial landscape of the vagina;
- processing of postoperative seams, local antiseptic prevents secondary infection and promotes rapid tissue regeneration;
- during lactation actively produces the hormone oxytocin, which increases the number of uterine contractions;
- increased physical activity is prohibited until the fourth month;
- timely antibacterial and antifungal therapy prevents the development of a generalized inflammation of the reproductive system organs.
- iron supplementation as recommended by the doctor will make up for its deficiency during massive bleeding;
- vitamin-mineral complexes, included in the diet, a beneficial effect on the recovery period;
- good nutrition is a prerequisite for fast recovery;
- elimination of traumatic factors reduces the duration of the recovery period.
Bleeding after childbirth is a normal physiological phenomenon. Timely consultation with a doctor will tell you how looks the norm and deviations. Compliance with the recommendations of the gynecologist and the security mode of the day contribute to the rapid recovery of the organism after birth.