Dryness and cracks in the intimate area of the vagina
Dryness in the vagina is a common gynecology problem. It also affects all age categories, but the largest number of complaints come from older women. Dryness in the intimate area — an unpleasant phenomenon that is accompanied by itching, tightness, redness, sometimes abnormal discharge.
Physical and moral discomfort experienced by a woman not only limits the sexual life, but also social activity. Therefore, the search for the root causes of the pathology and the method of its solution is very relevant.
The factors provoking the development of dryness of the vagina
Dryness in the vagina is caused due to insufficient production of mucous secret glands and violations of acidity of its internal environment. Why dryness in the intimate area affects women of different ages? The answer is obvious. The action of triggering factors exposed to everything.
Dryness in the vagina cause by the following reasons:
- Changing hormonal levels. The imbalance of hormones observed during pregnancy and menopause. Low production of estrogen reduces vaginal secretion, causing burning and dryness in the intimate place.
- Suppression of the production of estrogen, observed in the premenstrual period, promotes dryness of the intimate area.
- The use of drugs General and local actions change the microbial landscape of the vagina during treatment. These characteristics have antibacterial, hormonal (birth control pills), diuretics, antihistamines. The chemotherapy and radiation exposure in case of oncological diseases reduce the elasticity of the mucous membranes.
- The presence of inflammation caused by infection of pathogenic microorganisms, acidic environment. Under these conditions, the pathogenic flora is actively propagated. The appearance of purulent secretions exacerbates the pathology. Structural irregularities observed in the mucous membrane, contribute to the appearance of cracks, erosions, which often extend to the cervical canal and the cervix.
- Available system diseases of the endocrine and digestive systems — common causes of vaginal dryness.
- Underwear made from synthetic materials that violates natural ventilation, provokes irritation, dryness, burning and excessive sweating. Synthetic sanitary pads — the most common cause of this disease.
- Injury to the intimate areas, during surgical manipulations or during intercourse. The formed wound surface during the healing leaves scars and Nabatova cysts. Similar phenomena are frequently observed in the postpartum period.
- Active sex life without any prior foreplay injure the delicate mucosa. The lack of regular sex also promotes blood circulation in the organs of the pelvis of al and decreases the production of vaginal secretions.
- Unbalanced diet, devoid of proteins of vegetable and animal origin, the abundance of sweets and starchy foods, the lack of the necessary body of vitamins and minerals affect the acidic environment of the vagina.
- The use of cosmetics, flavorings, preservatives and various additives for daily hygiene of the genital organs in the irrational use disrupt the natural flora.
- Incorrect introduction of tampons injure the vaginal mucosa during their introduction.
- Contraceptive protection (condoms) are irritating to the vaginal walls contribute to the loss of their elasticity.
Any uncomfortable phenomenon — the reason for the appeal for help to the gynecologist. Timely diagnosis and therapy will prevent the development of inflammation and the transition to the chronic stage.
What tests need to pass?
Determining root cause of structural changes of the epithelial layer of the vagina and the extent of the development of vaginal secretions occurs via visual, laboratory and instrumental methods of research:
- The gynecological chair is an obligatory procedure prior to further diagnosis. During the examination the doctor takes a swab of the secretions and sends it for further cytological examination (Papanicolaou test). Under certain indications take scrapings for pathological examination.
- Common blood test and hormone blood determines the further tactics of treatment.
- Urinalysis will confirm or deny the presence of comorbidities.
- Ultrasound examination of organs of small pelvis completes the complex of the surveys.
Only the attending physician based on the history and put forward the complaints of the patient should determine the tactics of treatment and prevention. The gynaecologist will explain in detail how to treat and what to do in each case.
Treatment and prevention
A set of measures aimed at restoring the normal vaginal environment, includes the use of the following drugs:
- hormonal preparations of local and systemic (therapeutic) actions;
- sedative drugs of plant and synthetic origin;
- antibacterial and antifungal agents in the case of a secondary infection;
- the immunomodulators.
In addition to medicines good therapeutic effect has physiotherapy, the use of hypoallergenic personal hygiene, nutrition correction.
Estrogenic drug Astrokid in the form of a vaginal suppository gently corrects the deficiency of estrogen. Promotes rapid epithelialization of the atrophied vaginal mucosa. One suppository enter deeply into the vagina at night before bedtime for 10 – 14 days. Hormonal therapy is carried out under the strict supervision of a physician. In the case of a fatal headache medication overturned. A similar effect has Avipal Clio and Ovestin. These funds hormone replacement therapy not only restore a natural hormonal balance, but also stimulate the secretion of mucous secretion of the vaginal walls and cervix.
Increase local immunity, prevent recurrence of urinary infections, you can use Estriol. Presented in the form of estrogen hormone short-acting. The use of intravaginal Estriol in the form of suppositories prescribed by a doctor individually. In most cases therapy was continued for 1 – 2 months. In the first 4 weeks administered 1 suppository for the night, and then moving to a single administration every three days. Estriol has been successfully used in women during menopause to correct atrophy of the vagina, eliminating climacteric syndrome.
A similar effect can be achieved by applying the drug in the form of a cream or gel applied with a special applicator. Divigel on the basis of estriol moisturizes the vaginal mucosa, eliminates menopausal symptoms, it is prescribed after surgical procedures.
Patches for external use Climar have a similar effect. Indicated for use in women aged 40 to 60 years for the treatment of dryness of the mucous membranes due to lack of estrogen. Applying the patch on the buttocks area or spine, you can get rid of estrogen deficiency in women after ovariectomy (removal of ovaries). As with any hormonal agent, Climar has a large list of contraindications. Treatment regimen and duration of therapy develops the attending physician individually on the basis of anamnesis data.
For the immediate effects of the hormone on the walls of the vagina, you can use the estrogen ring. Gynecologist sets it for up to three months to eliminate dryness in the vagina during intimate relations.
If there is a ban on hormones, it is possible to use homeopathic remedies based on medicinal herbs. Cyclodien (Klimadynon), Cicatrizing hyaluronic acid improves the process of epithelialization and tissue repair (crack). Drugs successfully used in the treatment of postnatal complications, during surgery, after ionizing radiation and chemotherapy. Hyaluronic acid maintains muscle tone, restores their elasticity. Effective for vaginal dryness.
Cream dry Vasilak on the basis of natural components and the lactic acid acts as a natural moisturizer during intimacy. To eliminate vaginal discomfort, prevent wounds and cracks, use gels Montavit, Linocomfort, Bliss.
Medications based on fitokompozitsy of herbs are suitable for almost all, with rare exceptions of individual intolerance.
Physiotherapy treatments include salt and coniferous baths. To remove dryness, you can use sulfide mud from the Dead sea. If it is possible to visit a balneological resort, it is a definite plus.
A balanced diet devoid of allergens, preservatives, modified additives, helps to reduce the duration of treatment. The advantage should be given to natural products, containing large amount of fiber, vitamins and minerals, fatty amino acids. Particularly useful proteins of plant origin. Soy and beans contain natural phytoestrogens that normalize hormonal balance naturally.
Eliminating dryness during pregnancy
If the dryness came about when a woman is pregnant, the question of choice of remedy for this pathology is necessary to coordinate with the gynecologist.
Hormonal drugs local and systemic action are strictly contraindicated during pregnancy because of toxic effects on the developing fetus. They need to replace homeopathic or folk remedies. To treat dryness, you can use a tampon with oil of vitamin E. Tocopherol (vitamin E) dryness in the intimate area without harm to the mother and the developing baby. For the treatment of vaginal dryness and cracks enough the introduction of tocopherol-soaked swab for 5 minutes.
Dryness, cracking, swelling, discoloration, observed in the vagina during pregnancy, usually resolve themselves after birth, after the restoration of a hormonal background. Hydration without the use of drugs for the treatment of the vagina involves the use of gels and lubricants on a vegetable basis. The sexual life of pregnant women is not so active to risk their reproductive health. Modern pharmaceutical market offers a wide range of hypoallergenic products for the care of the intimate area and to eliminate vaginal discomfort.
Medicinal plants contain natural phytoestrogens that have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antipruritic properties. Vaginal dryness when douching eliminates calendula, chamomile, succession. To prepare a decoction for douching, you will need 2 tablespoons of calendula to 1 liter of water. The dry raw material is poured boiling water, bring to a boil. Then remove from fire and to insist within an hour. The same method is used for preparing infusions of chamomile and succession. You can create a combination of these herbs by combining their therapeutic characteristics.
If douching is contraindicated (during pregnancy), the broth used to add to the shared bath. Sitz baths (20 minutes) eliminate unpleasant symptoms.
Taken inside the broth for 1 – 2 weeks increases the overall immunity, promote the fastest recovery. A decoction prepared from calendula, oregano and the nettle has antioxidant properties. To prepare it you’ll need 20 grams oregano and calendula, 60 g of nettle. Provari dry raw material in ½ litre of water 2 – 3 minutes, he insisted in an hour. Strained broth take 1⁄3 Cup three times a day.
Since ancient times, gynecological diseases apply upland uterus. The infusion made from 1 tablespoon of dry grass to 0.5 liters of water inside drink ¼ Cup 3 times a day. Treatment aimed at restoring hormonal balance is 10 to 14 days.
Even the slightest discomfort in the intimate area should encourage women not to postpone the visit to the gynecologist. The competent approach to treatment and adequate therapy significantly increase the chances of success.