Fluid retention in the body during menopause, swelling under the eyes
Edema is a common complaint among women after forty years. In the absence of chronic diseases of the cardiovascular system and kidneys appearance of puffiness associated with the approach of menopause. In this period, the body undergoes significant hormonal overload, disorders of electrolyte balance and, as a result, accumulates excess water in the tissues.
However, the fluid retention in the body during menopause – abnormal condition that requires correction and prevention. Methods of struggle and prevention of edema during menopause focus of this article.
The development of edema in itself is not a disease but only a symptom of the dysfunction of organs and systems. Fluid retention is always a defensive reaction aimed at compensation of the negative processes occurring in body.
Common causes of edema include:
- lack of potassium and magnesium with increased content of sodium;
- hypertension, severe heart disease;
- kidney failure;
- endocrine disease: hypothyroidism, diabetes.
Specific causes of edema during menopause are:
- Violation of water-salt balance. The occurrence of similar symptoms in a healthy person due to the excessive use of common salt: excessive amounts of sodium ions accumulated in the cell structures, leads to increased intracellular osmotic pressure.
Against this background, the urinary system includes a protective mechanism aimed at reducing the salt concentration and reduce cell pressure starts fluid retention, as a consequence, edema, localized, usually in the lower extremities.
Reducing daily water consumption when expressed edema is not an effective method of dealing with the swelling. Lack of fluid is of even greater violations of electrolyte balance, leads to increased symptoms and the development of other pathological conditions.
- Disruption of the autonomic nervous system. Strong psychological, emotional stress, the prolonged stress provoke excessive production of adrenaline, which affects the heart and blood vessels, which causes accumulation of excess fluid in the tissues.
- The hormonal imbalance created by pregnancy, menopause, ovarian dysfunction associated with insufficient production of ovarian progesterone and estrogen.
Swelling during menopause
After 45 years of age (sometimes earlier) in a woman’s body starts fertility: decreased production of estrogen, menstruation getting shorter, and 50 – 55 years is completely stopped. Normal hormonal changes takes place gradually. But in the presence of negative factors (hard work, poor diet and lifestyle, overweight), many women the level of hormones in the blood decreases abruptly. Evolving pathological course of menopause, which is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms such as hot flashes, dizziness and edema.
Under normal physiological for menopause swelling does not happen. So in menopause when it detects the first signs of fluid retention you should not let the situation slide. You must immediately contact the specialist for appointment of adequate treatment.
Signs of swelling
Otechny syndrome in menopause is characterized by:
- The weight, and the hum of pain in the legs (especially at night), bigger legs, more looseness. However, the appearance of edema in the lower extremities is not always associated with the beginning of menopause and can be a symptom of serious diseases that require immediate medical advice:
- deep vein thrombosis – a life-threatening condition, in addition to edema, characterized by cyanosis, numbness and sharp pain in the legs;
- varicose veins, in which there is a proliferation of venous spider veins on the calves and ankles.
- A puffy face, bags under the eyes. Swelling may be accompanied by deterioration of General health:
- reduced performance, increased fatigue;
- an increase in blood pressure;
- arrhythmia, palpitations.
In the predominant number of cases, swelling during menopause requires a comprehensive approach to treatment, because their appearance is due to several negative factors.
- Addressing hormonal imbalance with hormone replacement therapy. The pharmaceutical market offers a wide range of products containing synthetic estrogen.
- The use of phytoestrogens – medicines and softer effects:
- isoflavones, lignans, coumestans – contained in food (the seeds and oil of flax, soy, celery, licorice);
- medicinal, homeopathic preparations based on herbal estrogen and BAD Clomiphene, Klimaktoplan, Remens, Klimadinon;
- The appointment of sedative drugs, eliminating menopausal symptoms: anxiety, insomnia, nervous tension.
- The purpose of diuretics is synthetic and of natural origin; herbs that reduce swelling (strawberries, juniper, plantain, nettle).
- Purpose vitamin complex with a high content of vitamins A, b, D, E, and minerals – potassium, magnesium, iron.
- Diet menus and food low in salt, fat and spices.
- Sports and daily walks in the fresh air. Recommended types of physical activity: swimming, walking.
There are a huge number of popular ways to combat edema. But we should not forget that the optimal method of treatment should find a doctor, self-treatment is ineffective in some instances, dangerous to health!
Baths to relieve swelling and fatigue
- Mix birch leaves, mint, flowers of chamomile in equal proportions. 100 – 200 grams of the mixture pour boiling water, infuse for half an hour. The resulting infusion is diluted with warm water (36-38 degrees), steam leg 10 to 15 minutes;
- 100 grams juniper berries, 100 grams of sea salt 1 tablespoon dry mustard, 1 tsp of baking soda, pour a liter of warm water, let stand half an hour. The resulting mixture is diluted with water, soak feet for 10 to 15 minutes.
Packs of bags under the eyes
- Grate half a cucumber on a fine grater. Wrapped in gauze and applied to the eyes for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice from fresh leaves of Melissa officinalis (2 tablespoons) to moisten the resulting juice rye bread crumb and applied to the area of swelling for 15 – 20 minutes.
Exercises to relieve swelling feet
- Standing to perform rolls from heel to toe for five to seven minutes. Repeat the workout two to five times per day.
- Stand up and stretch on tip-toes, hold this position for 1 – 2 minutes. Repeat three to five times daily.
The measures to prevent swelling include:
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and healthy nutrition. Exception of daily consumption of sweets, products containing large amounts of fats and carbohydrates, fast food, chocolate, coffee, black tea. Introduction in the diet of vegetable dishes, salads, fish, fresh vegetable juices.
- The rejection of cramped, uncomfortable high heel shoes, clothing, restricting your movements and drawing vessels.
- Regular cool baths for the feet, lymphatic drainage massage of legs and face.
- Full mode of relaxation and sleep.
- Quitting Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption.
Fluid retention is a common problem that occurs during menopause. However, this does not mean that swollen feet and face should become the indispensable companion of women during menopause. With fluid retention not only possible, but necessary to fight. Inspect the body for signs of chronic disease, change lifestyle, change the power scheme to get rid of bad habits. On the recommendation of a doctor to begin therapy estrogenozavisimymi drugs synthetic or of natural origin.
By following these simple tips, after a few days the swelling should go down. In the absence of serious cardiac, renal and endocrine abnormalities swelling will disappear completely in a month or two after the start of treatment.