Hormone replacement therapy: drugs for women after 45 years
Menopause is inevitable for women who turned 45 years old. The aging process is the scale process in which hormones play a decisive role. Hormone replacement therapy (drugs for women after 45 years) is a relevant method to eliminate physical and psychological discomfort with proven efficacy.
What is HRT
Middle-age is characterized by pronounced age-related changes, unpleasant for any woman. It is not only a cosmetic problem in the form of deterioration of the skin, hair and nails. Hormonal changes the body observed at this age, is characterized by a decrease in the level of hormones secreted by the adrenal glands, depletion of follicular reserve of the ovaries, onset of osteoporosis, psycho-emotional instability.
Search of elixir of youth – a problem relevant for millennia. Hormone replacement therapy use of drugs for women after 45 years – effective way to prolong youth and to preserve the quality of life. HRT in women can be seen as a deceit of the human body, which is not able to produce the necessary hormones on their own. How dangerous is the use of hormone replacement therapy for the female body?
The media contains conflicting information about the rational use of hormones.
A negative attitude towards the prescribing of HRT appeared due to the following circumstances:
- the risk of interference in the natural processes of aging with the risk of violation of hormonal regulation;
- lack of awareness about the effectiveness and safety of HRT means of new generation;
- fear of side effects;
- the assumption that synthetic analogues of the hormones it is impossible to dose without knowing the real need of the organism;
- the fear of developing cancer on the background of the application gormonozawisimah funds.
To understand where the myth and which is reality, is possible, understanding the mechanism of action of hormones.
To ensure the coordinated work of the organism maintaining a constant internal environment, hormonal system operates on the principle of feedback between the systems of the body and the brain (pituitary, hypothalamus).
- Estrogen. They stimulate the proliferation of the endometrium, epithelium of the vaginal mucosa, control the growth of the mammary glands, support the elasticity of blood vessels. Direct impact on the preservation of feminine beauty, tenderness of the skin.
- Progesterones. Smooth the proliferative action of the hormone estrogen. Involved in preparing the body for pregnancy or full during the menstrual cycle.
- Androgens. Involved in the synthesis of estrogen, blood proteins and liver, regulate the level of glucose in the blood. These hormones are responsible for libido, aggression, initiative.
The imbalance of hormones, the observed age-related changes provoked by the following factors:
- the depletion of follicular reserve and hormonal dysfunction as a result of aging;
- reduced sensitivity of the hypothalamus to the hormones;
- the hereditary factor (genetic predisposition);
- violation of metabolism of hormones in the body;
- surgical procedures, removal of reproductive organs (ovaries, uterus, appendages);
- uncontrolled hormonal drugs.
Indications for HRT
Deficiency of sex hormones threaten the development of menopausal symptoms with different severity. The most common indications for the appointment of hormone replacement therapy include the following circumstances.
- Expressed menopausal symptoms in the form of hot flushes, chills, hyperhidrosis, palpitations, high blood pressure, migraine. Autonomic disorders of memory and sleep, depression, decreased libido, the typical manifestations of menopause.
- Removal of the uterus, ovaries, appendages contributes to the onset of the artificial menopause. In this case, hormone replacement therapy for women in the form of preparations of the last generation is vital.
- Disorders of the genitourinary system in the form of pain when urinating, false urgency, urinary incontinence, the appearance of dryness and burning in the intimate area.
- Prolapse of the uterus and vagina as a result of hormonal deficiency.
- Violation of metabolic processes in organs and tissues (severe swelling due to difficulties with the removal of fluid from the body, increasing the level of glucose in the blood).
- Structural changes of skin (dryness, flaking, hair loss and brittle hair, splitting nails, the appearance of deep wrinkles).
- The development of systemic diseases endocrine, nervous system (diabetes mellitus, ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction, atherosclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease). This requires a special approach to the assignment scheme of the treatment and determining the dosage. When the genetic predisposition to osteoporosis HRT is a necessary protection for bone.
Hormone therapy can be of 2 types:
- Short-term (3-6 months). Its goal is to eliminate or prevent climacteric syndrome (including arising on a background of application of various drugs).
- Long-term (5-7 years). It is aimed at preventing the development of late menopausal manifestations on the background of the existing systemic diseases.
Drugs hormone replacement therapy
The list of new generation of drugs with proven efficacy include:
Drugs that is indicated for use as hormone replacement therapy after the surgery.
Oophorectomy (ovary removal)
Removal of the uterus and uterine appendages
Surgical procedures in endometriosis
Monophasic kind of reception
Estradiol + Cyproterone acetate Estradiol + Norethisterone (Monitor, Livial) The Dienogest + Estradiol (Kliogest, Estrofem) Levonorgestrel + Dydrogesterone Estradiol + Medroxyprogesterone Estradiol + Femoston (Trisequens) Klimonorm Estradiol and drospirenone Dydrogesterone Tibolone The main Proginova Femoston
According to the recommendations of the world health organization the appointment gormonozawisimah drugs are shown in the period of premenopause and menopause with severe symptoms and after cessation of menses. If in the diagnostic process revealed an acceptable level of estrogen, the hormone treatment can be delayed for some time. As an alternative to the use of antidepressants, vitamin therapy, tools, correction of autonomic disorders.
Much more difficult to adjust treatment after 60 years because at this age the effectiveness of hormone therapy is markedly reduced. For older women the high content of hormones is dangerous for the body if you have liver disease, kidney, stomach, hematopoietic system.
In recent years, especially popular homeopathic remedies. Women prefer to take herbal medicinal products with the fewest side effects. However, the effectiveness of such drugs in serious doubt. Homeopathic remedies do not give the expected result in disorders of the cardiovascular system. They are absolutely not effective for osteoporosis, even in combination with drugs calcium.
The search for effective tools against the backdrop of the contraindications is often difficult even for experienced professionals. The decision to use hormone replacement drugs after 45 years – individual solution, which has a mandatory check with the doctor. Sometimes consultation is not enough. For help you can consult an endocrinologist, psychiatrist, oncologist.
The use of any medication poses a risk to the body. The search for effective means and development of individual scheme of treatment is the task of the physician.
After applying hormones may experience side effects such as:
- severe headaches;
- the appearance of swelling;
- spazmirovannah muscles;
- dyskinesia of the digestive tract;
- dryness of the intimate area;
- of blood clotting.
As with any drug, hormones have a list of side effects. This creates preconditions to restrict their applicability.
Contraindications to HRT the following:
- bleeding unclear etiology;
- operated breast cancer;
- a malignant tumor or suspicion on them;
- a precancerous condition (dysplasia);
- varicose veins;
- thrombophlebitis, thromboembolism;
- cardiovascular disease;
- stones in the gallbladder;
- violation of the synthesis of fat in the liver when the flow of food (shown external use);
- liver disease (hepatitis, cirrhosis);
- a severe form of diabetes;
- kidney failure;
- bronchial asthma;
- individual intolerance.
Purpose hormone replacement therapy should be preceded by careful diagnosis of the body. In addition to the gynecological examinations, it is obligatory to examine the mammary glands. Cytological examination of cervical mucus, the analysis of blood coagulation, the exclusion of pregnancy are also included in the complex of the earlier diagnosis. A comprehensive examination and adequate therapy to help eliminate the unpleasant symptoms of menopause, maintain social and sexual activity of women.