How to avoid (prevent) mastitis when breastfeeding after childbirth
More than 50% of women do not know how to avoid mastitis, but it is very simple. Mastitis can be confused with lactose (milk stagnation in the ducts), but its symptoms are easy to learn. Mastitis — a disease that is caused by bacteria penetrating into the mammary gland via the milk ducts or cracked nipples. Most often it affects women after childbirth, especially the birth of their first child, due to infractions of the rules of prevention of mastitis.
As a breastfeeding woman to avoid mastitis?
To prevent the disease a nursing mother needs to take care of hygiene, proper breastfeeding and strengthening the immune system. The disease is caused by bacteria, such as Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus. They penetrate into the mammary gland through the ducts of the mammary glands, the lymphatic system or damaged skin tissue. Regular performance of simple rules will help you stay healthy and immune to infections.
Hygienic prevention of mastitis
Hygiene is of great importance for the newly born woman, her immune system is weakened by pregnancy and childbirth, and the body is very vulnerable to bacteria.
The young mother is responsible not only for their health but for the health of the baby, to which poor hygiene can cause a lot of harm.
To protect yourself from mastitis, and to prevent other dangerous diseases, a nursing mother needs:
- Times a day to take a shower and wash the breast is not soap and gel with a neutral PH, because soap washes away the skin’s protective fatty layer, and thus contributes to the appearance of cracks on the nipples;
- To buy a special bra for nursing mothers. If you use conventional underwear, try to choose a bralette, they press on the chest and block the ducts. At home you can wear a loose sports top;
- Try to avoid underwear made from synthetic fabrics, preferring natural;
- Make sure after feeding nipples had no milk;
- Regularly change bra pads and to give preference to the absorbent, in a gel base;
- Do not sleep on the stomach, so as not to pinch the milk ducts.
How to organize breastfeeding to prevent mastitis?
Mastitis during breastfeeding is very difficult, as difficult feeding the baby and the mother exhausted generic stress subjected to additional load. In the prevention of disease, the proper organization of breastfeeding is of paramount importance.
Nursing mothers should:
How to strengthen the immune system to avoid mastitis?
After a long pregnancy and childbirth, a woman’s body is weakened. He needs time to recover. During breast feeding the body also loses many valuable substances that do not help the immune system. After experiencing stress, the mother needs special care and strengthening the immune system.
A woman after childbirth shall:
- Relax as much as possible;
- Young mothers are obligated to help relatives and friends taking care of the baby. So she could recover from childbirth and avoid the deterioration of the health condition;
- Take vitamins for nursing mothers;
- Not to come into contact with sick and infected people;
- To eat more fresh vegetables, berry fruit drinks and juices without sugar, dairy products;
- Often fresh air;
- Get as many positive emotions.
Breastfeeding in the mother’s body produces many hormones which promotes relaxation and mood enhancement. This period is often one of the most joyous in a woman’s life. Your life after birth does not become a journey to hospitals, follow the simple rules of prevention, and no mastitis you are not afraid.
At the first sign of illness see your doctor, otherwise the disease may develop in the gangrenous form, which is fraught with operation.
To prevent disease is always easier than to cure. Follow the rules of hygiene, correctly feed the baby and take care of your immune system and you bloom to the delight of friends and family.