How to differentiate uterine bleeding from heavy menstruation?
Periodic blood loss accompany a woman from an early age. Regular periods ranging from 9 – 15 years indicate the maturity of the reproductive system, become habitual and do not cause unrest. But when you change the nature and frequency of bleeding in women sometimes find it difficult to understand what is happening is a normal process or there is a danger. Heavy periods or bleeding, how to determine and to recognize the pathology? After all, many women don’t even know the difference, taking one thing for another, risking their health and sometimes life.
What is considered the norm?
Gynecologists call normal is just some types of bleeding from the uterus:
- ovulation (mid-cycle with the release of an egg);
- implantation (the attachment of the fetus in the uterus);
- regular menstruation.
The first two types of discharge do not occur in all women, they are short, scant and indicates normal course of reproductive processes. Menstruation occurring regularly, are a sign of maturity of the reproductive organs and provide the body’s readiness to conceive.
Any other bleeding considered abnormal, requiring medical attention. To determine dangerous symptoms, you should clearly know the boundaries of the norm, any deviation from which should go to the gynecologist.
Signs that menstruation occurs without pathologies:
- The period of time that happen the normal menstruation is 21 to 35 days. Any deviation in the smaller or larger side requires additional examination.
- Normal allocation last from 3 days to a week. Sometimes a longer period (10 days) are also not a sign of deviation, but to establish this fact needs a gynecologist.
- From the beginning to the middle of menstruation the amount of blood increases, then gradually decreases.
- The color selections from bright red to brown, even black is considered a physiological norm.
- The presence of clumps of darker hue says about the separation sections of the epithelium of the uterus in the course of its updates. The absence of such clots should be alerted, as excessive number of them.
Not always the amount of discharge for the entire period corresponds to an average rate of 100 ml If filled to the gasket have to be changed more often than every 2 hours, such menstruation is considered abundant.
Regular distributions in a large volume yet not show any evidence of a violation. If such menstruation is familiar and not accompanied by other unpleasant symptoms, that worry should not be. Seek the advice of a gynecologist is if there has been a noticeable change in the amount of blood, and this is not the typical flow of menstruation for women.
Additional factors for seeking medical attention are pale skin, weakness, loss of efficiency. This may be a symptom that started bleeding, and anemia occurred due to blood loss.
“Disguised” blood loss, with an opening monthly, often go unnoticed. In itself, this breakthrough bleeding can be a symptom of a more dangerous disease. Started heavy periods or bleeding how to tell the difference yourself?
The symptoms of bleeding
Signs of how to distinguish between heavy or irregular menstruation from uterine bleeding, several. The main symptoms of pathology:
- strip or swab is fully filled within the hour;
- the color selections – red, no clots or more than usual;
- on the third day of menstruation the amount of blood is not diminished or discharge continues for more than 7 days per month;
- severe pain, fatigue, constant fatigue.
Menstrual blood contains enzymes that prevents it from clotting and are responsible for odor emissions. Abnormal bleeding such odors.
Abnormal discharge may begin in the middle of the cycle, just after menstruation, or during menstruation. Because if any of the symptoms should see a doctor for an accurate diagnosis and eliminate the causes of vaginal bleeding.
Classification and causes
Distinguish chronic and acute abnormal bleeding. Chronic includes all types of atypical bleeding from the uterus lasting more than six months do not require immediate medical attention.
To acute condition include sudden abundant (profuse) bleeding, which occurred on the background of chronic or occurred for the first time. Acute uterine bleeding requiring urgent medical intervention.
Bleeding is not the disease but only a symptom of the fact that a woman’s body has occurred a certain failure. Stopping the blood, without understanding the reasons for the anomaly will not solve the problem. The cause of bleeding can be organic disorders (disease) and functional disorders with no apparent physical changes.
Dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB)
The causes of the pathology in this case may be irregularities in the pituitary, hypothalamus, ovaries, resulting in impaired production of hormones balanced. Organic lesions of the tissues and organs can not be detected.
Diagnose DMK two types:
- Ovulatory. The selection may be scant, spotting, occur before menstruation, after the end or in the middle of the cycle. Ovulation occurs, but the conception and pregnancy can be problematic due to hormonal disruptions. Characterized by various disorders of the menstrual cycle, abnormalities in the duration, frequency, and amount of discharge in any direction from the norm.
- Anovulatory. The monthly cycle takes place without ovulation. Characteristic abundant, prolonged bleeding after a delay, or coming as a continuation of normal menstruation.
Hormonal causes of bleeding in women also include functional disorders of the thyroid gland with increased or decreased production of thyroid hormones.
Diseases of the internal organs or pathological changes in the structure of tissues can provoke abnormal presence of blood:
- pathology of the endometrium (hyperplastic process);
- ovarian tumors;
- uterine fibroids;
- inflammation and infection;
- malignant tumors of different localization;
- systemic diseases affecting the blood.
Classification of uterine bleeding the causes of a conditional. With comprehensive examination can be diagnosed multiple reasons for both organic and dysfunctional nature.
Iatrogenic bleeding-otherwise known as a “breakthrough” occur on a background of reception of hormonal drugs (including contraceptives), anticoagulants or other drugs. To provoke the same reaction can surgery or trauma of the uterus with displacement of intrauterine device.
Dangerous profusion or duration of iatrogenic bleeding did not differ, but require immediate consultation with your gynecologist to change medical treatment or immediate removal of the spiral.
Unlike breakthrough, profuse bleeding are developing rapidly, the blood loss can be large. A distinctive feature of the profuse process is painless.
The most common causes of vaginal bleeding in women vary depending on age. There are three age groups in relation to reproductive function.
This pathology is observed from the time of first menstruation (menarche) and a characteristic for girls to 18 years. Not knowing what you’ll be abnormal bleeding from the physiological norm, it is easy to confuse them.
At this age, cause of vaginal bleeding often lies in the immaturity of the reproductive system. Hormonal balance is established, the menstrual cycle is not regular. Disturbances in production of progesterone, estrogen or follicle-stimulating hormone can cause bleeding. Becoming regular, they lead to anemia, further improper development of reproductive function in girls and hormonal infertility in women.
Irregularities in the thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism) also can cause blood loss as at a young age and more Mature women. But, most often, the cause of disease in girls become severely infectious disease, which is considered a “child” of measles, chickenpox, mumps, tonsillitis or the flu.
Bleeding before menarche in girls are very rare and require special attention, as they can be a symptom of malignant tumors.
It is important to know! If the hormonal disorders in adolescence (during puberty) not diagnosed and not cured, it affects the reproductive health of child-bearing age. Later, in the menopause, the problem with a gynecologist give serious complications, up to Oncology. The breach has the character of continuity, with age, not “turns”, and getting worse.
A third of all women of childbearing age are faced with the problem of abnormal uterine bleeding. Disruption of the normal function of the ovaries – the most common reason for them.
Among the factors that can trigger ovarian pathology in reproductive age, gynecologists noted:
- stress and nervous strain;
- increased physical activity;
- hazardous working conditions and accommodation;
- the change of climate zones;
- obesity or low body weight;
- sexual infections and inflammatory processes;
- chronic diseases of the reproductive system: dysmenorrhea, endometriosis, fibroids, polyps, tumors;
- endocrine diseases.
Termination of pregnancy (surgical, drug, spontaneous) may provoke various gynecological disorders, accompanied by loss of blood.
Spotting during pregnancy may indicate a risk of life for both the mother and fetus. Such pathological conditions are dealt with separately.
Bleeding in menopause
In the period preceding the menopause (the menopause), the decrease in female hormones can cause profuse bleeding immediately after a timely period. Such States, recurring periodically in women older than 40 years, are the first signs of approaching menopause, before the manifestation of other symptoms.
Natural attenuation process of fertile (reproductive) functions, does not mean that such related phenomena can be ignored. Profuse bleeding may continue for a long time and face serious blood loss. Also, sometimes it indicates the presence or potential development of other organic disorders.
During the symptoms of menopause bleeding may occur due to excessive growth of the endometrium of the uterus and require surgical intervention. Without treatment, the process (adenomyosis, GGE) may spread to adjacent organs and lead to malignant transformation of the endometrium.
Please note! Any bleeding in menopause (when periods are absent for more than a year) should make the woman urgently to see a doctor. Cancer risk at this age are particularly large.
Bleeding during pregnancy
There are only a few cases, when the discharge during pregnancy, mixed with blood do not pose a threat:
- The time of implantation of the egg in the uterus.
- Waste mucosa of the tube before the beginning of labor.
Such allocation is not dangerous provided their scarcity (spotting), pain-free, different pink or brown color, quickly come to an end. Any other discharge of blood from the vagina during pregnancy is a dangerous signal. Urgent appeal for medical assistance is required at any time.
Possible causes of bleeding during pregnancy that threaten the life of a woman and fetus:
- ectopic attachment of the fetus;
- spontaneous abortion (miscarriage);
- rupture of the uterus;
- the detachment of the placenta;
- violations of coagulation of blood from the mother;
- a polyp of the cervical channel.
After birth, the separation and exit of the placenta, and uterine contractions. These processes are accompanied by profuse secretions of blood – lahiani that last up to 6 weeks.
Any changes in color, odor lochia, the sharp increase in their quantity, no clots can talk about the beginning of abnormal bleeding from the uterus. Abnormal post-Natal process is usually accompanied with fever, headaches, low blood pressure, signs of anemia.
The condition of the reproductive organs of women of all ages is significant and atypical allocation should be diagnosed. With abundant menstruation, or bleeding, it is necessary to accurately determine the cause, and after stopping the discharge to redress the violation. Without cure the root of the problem, uterine bleeding repeated, the disease becomes chronic and leads to the development of new pathologies.